The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 63 of 63

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I mostly put the EQ knobs at 12 o'clock, flat. Sometimes decrease the bass and/or treble just a little. It depends on the guitar and the location. But I always start out flat.
    Yes that’s basically my setup too, everything at around 12 o’clock but then it seems I just tweaked the treble up a little. Reverb just enough to be heard, about 9 o’clock.

One thing worth mentioning is that the speaker produces a lot more bass when the amp is flat on the floor and not tilted in any way, at least that’s my experience (I think this was mentioned in the other threads too).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I have the bass almost all the way off. Mids at noon. Treble about 11 o'clock. Reverb at maybe 10 o'clock. I put the volume at about 1 o'clock and then control it from my pedalboard.

Then, I add some reverb with the pedalboard and use the resulting tone for comping. I don't like a lot of lows when I comp. There's usually a piano, always a bass and drums and, often, horns. Lows risk making the band muddy, at least, with my hands and ears. And, the Comins has a rather dark sound.

For solos I add some other effects, including more low frequency info.
    Going to try the bass almost all the way off idea. Last night I was begging to like the tone but the overwhelming (IMHO) was driving me crazy. I turned it down but it obviously wasn't enough.

User Info Menu

Last night I was begging to like the tone but the overwhelming (IMHO) was driving me crazy.
    I assume the word "bass" was intended to follow "overwhelming" ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    I assume the word "bass" was intended to follow "overwhelming" ?

Yep. I do believe I'm done with the amp. I've tried so many different settings but it just doesn't grab me. I can see why folks like it but my ears just don't.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vashondan
    Going to try the bass almost all the way off idea. Last night I was begging to like the tone but the overwhelming bass (IMHO) was driving me crazy. I turned it down but it obviously wasn't enough.
    Yep. I do believe I'm done with the amp. I've tried so many different settings but it just doesn't grab me. I can see why folks like it but my ears just don't.
    Have you tried raising the front of amp by 2 -3 inches to tilt it?
    Have you kept it away from a wall behind it?
    Have you tried it through a speaker cab (8 ohms)?

Apologies if you have previously mentioned that you have tried all of the above.

User Info Menu

Thanks but I’ve tried everything except a cab but don’t want to go that far to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thanks but I’ve tried everything except a cab but don’t want to go that far to make it work.
    I fully understand you regarding the cab. I was just curious.

User Info Menu

Ime, the little jazz is the poor mans poly. If the poly vibe is what you are after, then it is pretty good, especially for the price. But that's what it is and nothing else. If you want something else like a fenderish sound then you have the wrong amp. My apologies if this is old news.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    Ime, the little jazz is the poor mans poly. If the poly vibe is what you are after, then it is pretty good, especially for the price. But that's what it is and nothing else. If you want something else like a fenderish sound then you have the wrong amp. My apologies if this is old news.
    I wasn’t particularly looking for the Fender sound. I had just read many positive reviews and was thinking about a replacement for one of my practice amps so thought I’d give it a try. No doubt my ears have been influenced by having a number of Fenders. I guess I was thinking that “jazz tones” are generalizable.

User Info Menu

I wasn’t particularly looking for the Fender sound. I had just read many positive reviews and was thinking about a replacement for one of my practice amps so thought I’d give it a try. No doubt my ears have been influenced by having a number of Fenders. I guess I was thinking that “jazz tones” are generalizable.

I use it all the time, and I have some great amps sitting unused. However I only use it with archtops with flatwounds. If I was to stop playing on flatwounds I would no longer have a need for the LJ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    I use it all the time, and I have some great amps sitting unused. However I only use it with archtops with flatwounds. If I was to stop playing on flatwounds I would no longer have a need for the LJ.
    What effect do flat wounds have that impact your choice of the LJ?

User Info Menu

There's a reason for hundreds of amp brands and models being available in the marketplace. No single amp can possibly satisfy everyone, for many reasons, but taste being one of the more important. If you don't like the LJ, find something that you like better. Just because many of us like it doesn't mean you have to.

User Info Menu

Was just packaging it up and found a little dent in the telex on the back. I know I didn't do it because I've been totally careful with it. Guess I'll send it and see what they say. Dang. If I send it and they blame it on me will they then send it back to me and charge me for shipping again. Beginning to wish that I'd never heard of this amp