The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Any help? Big piano/orchestral chord. In Bb, functions as a subdom leading down to V (F7sus). The Gb on 6 at II would be best, but I'll take it up an 8v if necessary. Tonally it's very close to Gb7 (bVI in the progression, tritone sub) or even GbMaj7 going to F7sus (V). But the added color of the Ebm6 is gorgeous.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

2x1312

User Info Menu

Don't play Aguas de Marco without it!

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    2x1312
    Thanks J, but I don't know this kind of notation. (1x1234) Can you kindly elaborate, I appreciate it.

User Info Menu

2x1312
    Ebmin6/Gb
    2x1312

User Info Menu

from left to right low E, A, D, G, B, E strings, number is fret and x is dead note. You can leave the top note off or not

Thanks! Must be a common thing, you guys answered so fast. I am a bit embarrassed to say what song it's for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Thanks! Must be a common thing, you guys answered so fast.
    I'm a Barry Harris guy, so I know my 6th chords. It's like a drop 2 min 6th on the top and a drop 3 min 6th on bottom

I especially like the diss of putting the Bb and C right next to each other.

User Info Menu

Thanks J, but I don't know this kind of notation. (1x1234) Can you kindly elaborate, I appreciate it.
    It barely counts as a form of notation, but it is a popular quick convention for chords.

Each numeral's position from left to right represents the strings in standard tuning from low E to high E.
    The cardinal values of the numerals represent finger placement with respect to the frets,
    counted from the nut where an open string is "0", first fret is "1"... and "x" indicates strings unplayed or damped.

1x1234 would mean:

F - sixth string first fret
    Don't sound the A string
    Eb - fourth string first fret
    A - third string second fret
    D - second string third fret
    G - first string fourth fret

User Info Menu

If you want it up an octave, I use Gb C Eb Bb in 8th position.
    x 9 10 8 11 x
    fingering 2314

User Info Menu

from left to right low E, A, D, G, B, E strings, number is fret and x is dead note. You can leave the top note off or not
    If a you play that Gb on the high E string, you have to use a you thumb and you gonna break a you hand, Giuseppi!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    If you want it up an octave, I use Gb C Eb Bb in 8th position.
    x 9 10 8 11 x
    fingering 2314
    Same notes, xx4546.

Both very useful voicings.

User Info Menu

It’s also a Cm7b5/Gb

User Info Menu

I usually just play 2 x 1 3 1 x

No need to double the Gb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    It’s also a Cm7b5/Gb
    That's the way I see this chord. Always I see a chord with M6 I thing of it as the first inversion of some other chord. Gm6 = Em7(b5)/G - sometimes it may sound like C9/G. And G6 = Em7/G

User Info Menu

Any help? Big piano/orchestral chord. In Bb, functions as a subdom leading down to V (F7sus). The Gb on 6 at II would be best, but I'll take it up/DOWN an 8v if necessary. Tonally it's very close to Gb7 (bVI in the progression, tritone sub) or even GbMaj7 going to F7sus (V). But the added color of the Ebm6 is gorgeous.
    Knowing the inversions of chords like this is worth the effort to learn and in your example would be very helpful..

also this chord Ebmi6 can be seen as several other chord functions:

Cmi7b5 / Ab9 / D7b9#5 ..all depending on context and your ability to use subs that may incorporate this kind of thing

as others have shown you..your requested Ebmi6 with Gb in the bass-Gb Eb Bb C ..found on frets ... 2 1 3 1 / Strings 6 4 3 2

(played down an octave ...) this is the first inversion of this chord voicing--Eb C Gb Bb on strings 6 4 3 2-/ frets 11 10 11 11)

hope this is clear and helps
    Last edited by wolflen; 10-14-2019 at 09:00 PM.