Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Hi all,
    is the Roland FV50H still the best lightweight non battery ,
    ie passive , vol pedal around ?

its been a while since I used one
    and I'm gonna get back into it I think ...
    my old Ernie Ball is great but too big n heavy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If money was not an object, I would use one of these: OMNI LowPro (active/passive) - Goodrich Sound Volume Pedals

as money is an object I use a Morley. Yes it does take 9v power.

User Info Menu

I've been using Roland FV50H for over 15 years probably. Still my number one choice even after trying Ernie Ball etc. Can't beat the light weight durability etc. And cheap price especially used!
    I use it last in line as an overall level of my effects. Or back in the day in my Mesa Boogie amp in the effects loop as a level as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    If money was not an object, I would use one of these: OMNI LowPro (active/passive) - Goodrich Sound Volume Pedals

as money is an object I use a Morley. Yes it does take 9v power.
    In the Morley range there is also the passive Mini-Pedal; EH also offer a passive pedal which although in plastic is very sturdy

I prefer an optical pedal which is usually smoother, but calls for a power supply

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    when i had the same concern i switched from the regular size to the junior (VP JR). It is still on the heavy side, but smaller and lighter and provides the same comfort as it's bigger brothers.

User Info Menu

Hi all,
    is the Roland FV50H still the best lightweight non battery ,
    ie passive , vol pedal around ?

its been a while since I used one
    and I'm gonna get back into it I think ...
    I use the Ernie Ball VP JR. Good size, good weight, good sweep and most important, good tone (preserves the integrity of the guitar signal, like a quality guitar volume pot. Reasonably low treble loss wide open.)

I have no experience with the Roland pedal, but with other volume pedals and I know they are different.

User Info Menu

Depends on what you mean by "best" and "lightweight" ...

The excellent Goodrich mentioned above is ~2lbs; Lehle makes a wonderful pedal that's ~3lbs, and Mission Engineering makes a great one at ~3lbs (weight according to their respective web sites). I have a Mission pedal that stays on my (small, lightweight) pedal board (with a tuner and few other pedals -- when I need them for certain gigs), and the board has a carrying case, so I'm fine.

Let us know what you select!

my old Ernie Ball
    Volume pedal-56e76f27-a578-410e-b844-1a3eaa30c58c-jpg

is 3lbs 7oz. ....

id like to go as low weight as
    possible ...approx 1.5 lbs ?

could anyone weigh their
    Boss FV50 for me ?

i think that’ll be the lightest
    decent one (it’s plastic)

User Info Menu

Goodrich 120 is pretty much the standard potentiometer type pedal in the steel guitar world. Goodrich Omni is getting real popular but is pricey, I think. There are others out there - the Hilton is real popular as is the Telonics.

User Info Menu

I'm using this (Dunlop DVP4)

along with my Helix Stomp as my "Fly Rig" in an old messenger bag- works great, tiny footprint but still stage-worthy and light.
    I can recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I've been using Roland FV50H for over 15 years probably. Still my number one choice even after trying Ernie Ball etc. Can't beat the light weight durability etc. And cheap price especially used!
    I use it last in line as an overall level of my effects. Or back in the day in my Mesa Boogie amp in the effects loop as a level as well.
    whats the weight of the Roland FV50h please ?

User Info Menu

Check Roland or Boss website. But they are probably 1lb at most. Takes a Lickin and keeps on ticking !

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Check Roland or Boss website. But they are probably 1lb at most. Takes a Lickin and keeps on ticking !
    thanks jads 1 lb is cool , thought so ....

no weight specs on the site
    i’m afraid

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Depends on what you mean by "best" and "lightweight" ...

The excellent Goodrich mentioned above is ~2lbs; Lehle makes a wonderful pedal that's ~3lbs, and Mission Engineering makes a great one at ~3lbs (weight according to their respective web sites). I have a Mission pedal that stays on my (small, lightweight) pedal board (with a tuner and few other pedals -- when I need them for certain gigs), and the board has a carrying case, so I'm fine.

Let us know what you select!
    thanks for the tips Marc
    I think I'm going to go for a Boss FV50H

because of the 1 lb weight and price

User Info Menu

I'd recommend you look at this first. I'd want to determine 1st whether a high impedance or low impedance volume pedal was appropriate.

Yeah thanks , high z
    guitar > vol pedal > amp

(interesting to find out why they make low z pedals tho)

User Info Menu

So a few years back I thought I'd switch to a mini volume pedal.Big Mistake, my foot was way too big for it. I felt like Frankenstein Monster with that little thing,LOL!

User Info Menu

I have a Boss FV-50H and from my perspective it’s the best volume pedal on market today. Cheap, light and non-battery operation. It’s a perfect choice of volume pedal.

User Info Menu

I just weighed one of my FV-50H pedals on my kitchen scale, it comes in at 15 7/8 ounces, or 453 g.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grandstick01
    I just weighed one of my FV-50H pedals on my kitchen scale, it comes in at 15 7/8 ounces, or 453 g.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks , I took my very old Ernie ball to a rehearsal yesterday
    Built like a tank and still works great !
    but weighs way too much .....
    so i just ordered a Roland FV50H
    we'll see how it measures up ....
    I'm hopefull

User Info Menu

Sorry, I just saw this thread today. I have an FV-60 and it weighs a mere eight tenth of a pound. It's an old unit I bought used for a very reasonable price -- works like a charm. I don't know if it's different from an FV-50 (looks the same). I particularly like the Minimum Volume knob on the side of the pedal. Worth the price of admission alone!

Yeah got my new FV50H now ... Hurrah
    looks very similar to yours ....
    same weight too ....

gonna try it out properly this week

User Info Menu

Yeah thanks , high z
    guitar > vol pedal > amp

(interesting to find out why they make low z pedals tho)
    Low after fx pedals, high before I think

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    Low after fx pedals, high before I think
    yeah
    guitar > hi z volume pedal > amp

User Info Menu

I have been using the same Morley volume pedal for over 20 years now. Never had to replace anything on it. Not sure if the new ones are as rugged as mine, but might be worth checking out?