The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 110 of 110

User Info Menu

While Gibson is legally entitled to do whatever wants with it’s blems, b-stock, and otherwise not up-to-snuff inventory without disclosing the reasons why, this shows that it is still a very tone-deaf company. Perhaps a better explanation would appease the masses, but at this point there are enough people who are angry, to the point of rabid, even, that many will not be appeased at all. I personally have no issue with destroying damaged items to protect the integrity of the brand, it it seems to me that they just went really far with this one.

Had it been up to me, I would’ve allowed a school, program, or group to come in and salvage the usable hardware (under supervision) to upgrade their current instruments and then destroyed what was left. This would’ve been a good PR look for helping others AND protecting their brand. It likely would’ve pulled less people off the production line as well, if the recipients did all the labor as a condition of receipt. I cannot imagine that every single pice of hardware or electronics was flawed, because nobody is that incompetent (except maybe the Gibson PR department).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    they couldn’t support the weight of a bulldozer.
    Word.

User Info Menu

No idea why people get upset now.
    The public and internal destruction process started many years ago - even long before a pic like the following (first one) appeared in the media in 2010: Gibson launches search for new CEO to replace Henry Juszkiewicz - Guitar.com | All Things Guitar

A guy named Henry J was claiming to be the leading quality controller of his company.
    His problem #1 was that he himself was barely able to distinguish good from bad quality.
    His problem #2 was even bigger: an attitude of I alone can fix it!

People with such - and more - psychopathies, IMO, are actually spreading faster than the plague in the Middle Ages.

Everything flows. We better get used to this natural fact!
    Apropos - who was that Gibson Company?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Is there little wonder why the planet's in such a mess!
    The who is in a whatnow? Silly rabbit – you need to get out more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    The who is in a whatnow? Silly rabbit – you need to get out more.
    Newsflash - Someone on the internet disagrees with another's opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Newsflash - Someone on the internet disagrees with another's opinion.
    What the hell has reality got to do with opinion? This is exactly the pitfall that comes with engaging with reality too infrequently. The planet is in a terrible state, or it isn’t. Simple binary proposition.

User Info Menu

Who copied who - is this what Gibson was trying to do & Line 6 did it better ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    What the hell has reality got to do with opinion? This is exactly the pitfall that comes with engaging with reality too infrequently. The planet is in a terrible state, or it isn’t. Simple binary proposition.
    Listen dude. Who gets out and how often is not your business. I don't care what you think. Get over yourself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla
    While Gibson is legally entitled to do whatever wants with it’s blems, b-stock, and otherwise not up-to-snuff inventory without disclosing the reasons why, this shows that it is still a very tone-deaf company. Perhaps a better explanation would appease the masses, but at this point there are enough people who are angry, to the point of rabid, even, that many will not be appeased at all. I personally have no issue with destroying damaged items to protect the integrity of the brand, it it seems to me that they just went really far with this one.

Had it been up to me, I would’ve allowed a school, program, or group to come in and salvage the usable hardware (under supervision) to upgrade their current instruments and then destroyed what was left. This would’ve been a good PR look for helping others AND protecting their brand. It likely would’ve pulled less people off the production line as well, if the recipients did all the labor as a condition of receipt. I cannot imagine that every single pice of hardware or electronics was flawed, because nobody is that incompetent (except maybe the Gibson PR department).
    I agree that they should have given them to a school rather than run them over with tractors. In my many years of experience as a teacher of guitar classes in a public HS, I can say from firsthand experience that the kids would've destroyed those guitars much quicker, and more thoroughly than any puny caterpillar tractor.

User Info Menu

The video referenced above featuring the facilities guy explains the rationale behind it. Makes sense to me.

I don't think that selling or donating unsellable, questionably functional guitars is in anyone's interest, least of all Gibson and their shareholders. Having low-price subsidiaries and a charitable foundation is a more appropriate way to ensure that more people of limited means can play decent guitars.

The way the video is set up does make it look ritualistic and even nihilistic. But forget the optics and just look at the bigger picture. Getting rid of a couple of thousand dud guitars is pretty meaningless in the big scheme of things.

If this video makes you queasy, do not watch videos of people explaining how typical animal shelters work.