The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 155

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a looper pedal.

I already have a Ditto - but after several years of use the footswitch does not work all the time.
    I also have a Line6 JM-4 - which does a lot of amazing things except one: retain the original tone.

The main thing I'm looking is audio quality. I need to be able to get the same sound on the output as on the input, if not being used. If used I want it to remain as close as possible to the guitar tone... if the pedal colors the sound in any noticeable way it's a no for me.

Then, I'd like a pedal with above-basic features:
    Long loop time (no problem if I have to buy a SD Card of some sort)
    Memory slots.

Being able to switch between loops is not essential, but is welcomed nonetheless

Finally, the configuration of the footswitch:
    Reliable and that feels natural to use.

The padded Boss pedals look like could be a great thing... but I can live with the more common type if it's good and the pedal meets the above.

Anyway, let me me hear from your own experience!

Thanks a bunch!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have just started to play with a Line6 DL4, so I'm by no means an expert. But it seems to be to be very transparent.
    Big price drop on them recently. Not sure if they are being replaced or what but...
    Last edited by guido5; 11-22-2017 at 11:43 AM.

User Info Menu

I use Quantiloop on an iPad. Pristine audio quality. While iPad apps are cheap the Bluetooth Midi footswitch and the guitar/iPad interface will cost more than a stomp box.

User Info Menu

Jamman Solo XT
    Transparant
    35 mins loop time
    Lots of memories
    Quiet switch

User Info Menu

I'm having fun with my Boss RC3 Loop Station. It's limited, but fine for my home, recording or gig purposes.
    They've got a more advanced RC30 model for more serious users.

User Info Menu

I like the DL4 best...most intuitive buttons...but does does not have an undo last record feature...and the loop time is limited
    but long enough for what I do

it does have a play once button which once you have you wonder why it is not on all loopers

User Info Menu

Thank you guys, for your replies. Keep your ideas coming it, if you can.

So far, I'm considering something like these...

Electro Harmonix 22500 Dual Stereo Looper
    Boss RC-30 Dual Track Looper
    Electro Harmonix 720 Stereo Looper
    Digitech JamMan Stereo
    Boss RC-3
    Digitech JamMan Solo XT

User Info Menu

Bought the Jamman stereo initially at a superb discount but recently traded down to the XT solo because I really wasn't making full use of the extras - plus the footprint on my pedalboard was "challenging"
    The Stereo is great if you plan to use all the functions

Quote Originally Posted by JPG
    Thank you guys, for your replies. Keep your ideas coming it, if you can.

So far, I'm considering something like these...

Electro Harmonix 22500 Dual Stereo Looper
    Boss RC-30 Dual Track Looper
    Electro Harmonix 720 Stereo Looper
    Digitech JamMan Stereo
    Boss RC-3
    Digitech JamMan Solo XT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    Bought the Jamman stereo initially at a superb discount but recently traded down to the XT solo because I really wasn't making full use of the extras - plus the footprint on my pedalboard was "challenging"
    The Stereo is great if you plan to use all the functions
    Thank you, guys, really appreciate your answers!

Ray,

Considering all things I'm inclined to buy the JamMan Solo XT, yes (is this the one you have? Or do you have the Express?)
    Realistically this has all the things I want.

Just a question:
    I believe this is not a true bypass and, .... reading your nick, do you have a 175?

If you can experiment with it - if you
    a) connect your guitar to amp and
    b) connect your guitar to looper and looper to amp
    ..does the sound is the same?

My experience is that very few pedals preserve the true tone of the guitar; If I plug my 175 to any of my amps - flat EQ no effects/reverb etc - the sound is deep, warm and full.
    Almost all pedals I test make it a little thinner, less warm, more 2-dimensional.

I'm ready to loose a tiny bit of tone, but not much. Off topic, my Zoom MS-50G (thank you, Jorge!) performs amazingly well.

If any of you guys can shime in, on this subject, I'd be thankful, again

User Info Menu

Done as you asked.
    I plugged the 1961 175 into my Princeton Recording
    Limited my pedal loop for the XT Solo ONLY with cables directly to the looper and no intermediary pedals in the circuit
    Note that my pedal loop comes after preamp and returns to the power section, so I can easily A/B the sound with and without the pedals in the chain

On the neck pickup I hear virtually zero difference. The bridge pickup becomes very slighly darker but that's not necessarily a bad thing

As an additional test I did your routing (guitar to looper to amp). Much the same result with a little drop in mids. FWIW I was able to get the original sound back by putting my mxr eq between the looper and the amp and adding a small push to the mids. Thus isn't my usual config and my eq normally sits at the end of the pedal chain to be able to adjust sound to different venues.

Hope this helps. Best to try the models you like in a decent shop, if possible

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    Done as you asked.
    I plugged the 1961 175 into my Princeton Recording
    Limited my pedal loop for the XT Solo ONLY with cables directly to the looper and no intermediary pedals in the circuit
    Note that my pedal loop comes after preamp and returns to the power section, so I can easily A/B the sound with and without the pedals in the chain

On the neck pickup I hear virtually zero difference. The bridge pickup becomes very slighly darker but that's not necessarily a bad thing

As an additional test I did your routing (guitar to looper to amp). Much the same result with a little drop in mids. FWIW I was able to get the original sound back by putting my mxr eq between the looper and the amp and adding a small push to the mids. Thus isn't my usual config and my eq normally sits at the end of the pedal chain to be able to adjust sound to different venues.

Hope this helps. Best to try the models you like in a decent shop, if possible

Thank you very much, Ray! I appreciate the trouble you had to perform the tests.
    I have not many options to play/compare live, here in my hometown - but reading a ton of specs/reviews, everyone seems to be pretty and consistently happy with that pedal. For the little extra money I could with the "stereo" version, but with that one almost everyone mentions to rather loud clicks produced by the footswitches. And I kinda like the padded foot switch, boss-like that the JamMan has.

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Jpg,
    im sorry I am late to the thread.
    I have a JM4. As far as I am concerned, it’s one of the best gadgets out there. With one exception. If this pedal had a USB out, it would be perfect. You can get really good tone out of it. It stores/plays your backing tracks, gives you great looping and its bullet proof.
    You can save your tone setting to a user defined preset and revert back to it any time.
    But without the USB out, it’s not a good digital interface so hopefully they change that.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

loop station Boss rc-300 is one of the best on the market...I use it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Jpg,
    im sorry I am late to the thread.
    I have a JM4. As far as I am concerned, it’s one of the best gadgets out there. With one exception. If this pedal had a USB out, it would be perfect. You can get really good tone out of it. It stores/plays your backing tracks, gives you great looping and its bullet proof.
    You can save your tone setting to a user defined preset and revert back to it any time.
    But without the USB out, it’s not a good digital interface so hopefully they change that.
    Joe D
    Thanks, Max405!
    Yes, it does a lot of great things and the effects section is really nice! My only problem is that if I plug my guitar straight to amp I get the best possible tone... full and round. But with the JM4 I can't replicate that sound, it's very far actually. I tried with all the amp sims, with the clean ones, and even with no amp sims (bypass mode?). But it's so different. I tried all the rear inputs and play with the volume knobs, etc.

There's just one thing I must yet try - to put it in the loop of my Fender Hotrod Deluxe.

Besides that is a super useful unit, for sure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    loop station Boss rc-300 is one of the best on the market...I use it.
    That's a stunner Only thing is that I'm sure I would end up using just a tiny portion of it!
    Since I started the thread I realized I also need a pedal that has the least impact on my pedalbaord...!

Thank you, Kris!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JPG
    That's a stunner Only thing is that I'm sure I would end up using just a tiny portion of it!
    Since I started the thread I realized I also need a pedal that has the least impact on my pedalbaord...!

Thank you, Kris!
    I've used TC Electronic Ditto before and I/ve sold it/small and nice/ but...RC-300 is great for practise at home and live gigs.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

@JPG
    Not everyone can easily get to shops that have a wide range of gear to try. I can sympathise because I had that problem for 10 years when I lived in the North of France (Le Touquet), and really appreciated being able to exchange from people who could try things out and give views.
    That's the beauty of this forum, we may not all hear things in quite the same way, but most people are willing to put there personal perceptions aside (at least to the degree that this is as possible), and try to give objective information to help others
    Last edited by Ray175; 11-27-2017 at 11:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Best use of a looper pedal I have heard...

Be patient. Give it two minutes or so. It's worth it.

User Info Menu

Another example.

User Info Menu

For what it is, he does it well. It seems to me, setting up the loop, you have to play it perfectly, in time, no clams- or you'll be haunted by it over & over!

I've been tempted by one of those gadgets, as a practice tool, anyway. Listening to loopers in performance, I've heard them used tastefully (and sparingly) by singers who were solo acts. Like a rhythm machine, though, they are really tedious after a few minutes, which is how I found this guys playing. And it was really weird watching him switch guitars at 5:58, with the "music" continuing to play.

User Info Menu

Johnny A is a great guitar player who has a knack for arranging 60s pop gems into chord melodies. He is a master of all these electronic enhancements, like looping etc, but he doesn't need 'em to sound great. I heard him this Spring randomly when I briefly stopped in to the NE amp show five mins before his set. It was ear-splitting loud but a true virtuoso display. All in all though, I dig his work with a trio of live musicians best.

User Info Menu

It's impressive how he balances all the sounds, effects and levels he uses to create his soundscapes. I've always found this more difficult than managing the timing of the loop, which isn't really that difficult to get if your timing is decent and you practice with the looper a bit.

I like loopers, but usually play simpler stuff, acoustic preferably. I think I might prepare a looper only solo project for this winter, something like this I did some time ago..

User Info Menu

I'll see your Johnny A, and raise you a Frisell.

That said, I've always thought that the Johnny A is one of the coolest signature guitars that the big G ever put out.

User Info Menu

When talking about loopers it’s hard to not mention Frisell again.

User Info Menu

Gilad Hekselman is also a master of loopers: