The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hi All!I’ve got a 175 that I assume has the 50’s wiring scheme but when the selector is in the neck position, the bridge volume knob affects tone and volume of the neck pickup. I can only get the tone I’m looking for if I have the neck pickup selected and its volume up AND and the bridge volume dialed back to around 7-8. It is a drastic tone change just slightly backing off the volume of the non-selected pickup.I have a 57 Reissue Les Paul that should have similar wiring and when either pickup is isolated by the switch, the volume for the other one does nothing.I haven’t had the time to dig into it with a multi meter or anything yet... just been kind of going with it. Hope to get it on the bench soon but thought you all may have some insights.Bad pot? Bad switch?Many thanks in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For some reason, past owners of used archtops seem to have a flair for screwing up the wiring in their ignorant quest to do something wonderful, like putting in some magic pio caps or something....pass the electrical tape please....

User Info Menu

As Cosmic implies, a previous owner screwed up the electronics chain. You'll need to sort it out and correct it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

sounds like a ground (probably braided wiring) is bridging some signal somewhere.

The only remedy is to take everything out and fix it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

From what you describe, the selector switch is not de-selecting the bridge pickup, when in the neck pickup position. This points to a faulty selector switch, most likely because the switch has got slightly bent somehow and the individual blades are not de-selecting properly. It's also just possible ( but unlikely) that it was been miswired. It's also just possible that the switch tips are sticking together and need cleaning.( oil will do this, for example, if someone foolishly tried oiling the switch instead of cleaning it).

If you feel confident enough, remove the neck pickup and then try carefully pulling out the switch through the neck pickup hole to check its operation, after loosening the switch nut. Tie a thread round the switch tip so that you can pull it back up. If you have any doubt, take it to a tech. It's much easier to do this if the switch doesn't have a rubber grommet. It's possible to repair a switch that has been accidentally bent, if you work very carefully. Replacing it is usually a job for a tech, unless you are familiar with guitar wiring and have the tools.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies! I may have a chance to dig in to it today.. didn’t cross my mind that it had been monkeyed with before but I’m sure that’s it. I tapped on the pickups in all positions of the switch and in neck and middle position, both pickups are active.

I’ve done fret work on this 175 before and have pulled both pickups and I don’t recall seeing anything amiss when glancing inside. We’ll see though.

Thanks again all!!

User Info Menu

Well I just got into it and it looks like this switch has been replaced. All other solder joints look original from my vantage point.

The installed switch is a long switchcraft... shouldn’t it be a short one? Not sure it matters since there’s plenty of room.

also the contact blade for the neck pickup is bent so the toggle can’t apply enough pressure to break contact with ground in the neck position.

I’ll try to bend it back and get a new one on order.

thanks all!

User Info Menu

Switches are cheap, and if you can solder, easy to replace. It's actually one of the easier soldering jobs you'll run across.

User Info Menu

Got it fixed! Thanks all for your help. Was definitely a bent contact blade. The whole switch girls sloppy so I’ve got another in order.
    Thanks again all!