The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 55

User Info Menu

I didn't buy this one, but mine is just like it (scroll down a bit)...

Vega VEGAPHONE 1938 Sunburst | Reverb

Likewise this one also, but mine is pretty much identical...

1924 Gibson L-2 Guitar | Reverb

All-in & with new frets I've got two excellent small-bodied archtops
    and $ left over for another nice guitar compared to the Collings.

Yes, they both have big necks. Cowboy up, girly-men!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like the 1 3/4 inch nut...but seeing how the Waterloo flat tops are quite affordable, these miss the mark for me.

User Info Menu

I prefer 1.75" neck width. My fingers can't form an open C chord on anything smaller. But I understand the need to avoid "neck fatigue".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I like the 1 3/4 inch nut...but seeing how the Waterloo flat tops are quite affordable, these miss the mark for me.
    The new Waterloo acoustics that I just found listed seem to top out at $2700. And they're selling and presumably making a buck......
    So it begs the question can / do these archtops cost that much more to build ? I really don't know - -maybe they do, but really only the top is arched. The backs are flat and spec's are similar, right ?

MHO - -at $4000, or close - - and with at best an average sound, you spend another $1000. and have Mark C
    build you one that will sound great.
    For me a no-brainer.

User Info Menu

For me, the body shape just looks wrong. I'm likely the only person, but the proportions just seem off.

User Info Menu

I think it’s a cool guitar, but my 55 L-5N cost me just $200 more less than year ago. There’s a lot of choices that seem to offer more for that price.

User Info Menu

I retract my previous gripe about the 1 3/4" nut width.
    I just measured a few of my guitars and discovered that my Gibson flattops and my L-7 all have that width and are super comfortable to play. I was thinking of the wider neck on classical guitars but I had the numbers wrong.

I remember test driving a few Collings flattops a few years back and some of them had very wide necks that did not work for me.

But I still think the new Waterloo Archtop is overpriced !!!

User Info Menu

A nice tip o' the hat to the Gibson L-30/37/47/75 cheapies and the Kalamazoo brand. I played these Collings copies at NAMM and they were nice. The MSRP isn't the street price - I'm sure there will be plenty of dealing on them.

And then there was this one-off, dedicated to Bill - same size, but with a carved back, pretty wood and a regular neck:

Last edited by Hammertone; 06-15-2019 at 10:32 AM.

User Info Menu

1 3/4" nut width is standard on Waterloo guitars. It's consistent with the Depression-era budget guitars that inspire the brand. Also, the guitars are supposed to have a simple aesthetic - that's the whole point. These guitars are a nod to Stella and Recording King and Regal and Kalamazoo, etc., not to D'Angelico or Stromberg or high-end Gibsons.

User Info Menu

So, if that’s the case, the original guitars that inspired these can be had for 1/4 to 1/3 the price.

User Info Menu

Yes, but those were often very roughly built and many have been beat to death. Collins guitars are exquisitely built, and these are new guitars.

That doesn’t mean I want one, but if I wanted a modern take on these depression era guitars built by a top notch boutique builder I would expect to pay multiple times what a non collector eighty year old guitar would cost in the second hand market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I very much like Collings instruments.

While others have been excited about the Waterloo series, I am not.

I have inspected and played three, not the archtop of course.

I did not see the money. I thought they were crude and not the character and playability compared to my $100 1929 Stomberg Voisenet (sp). They are not inexpensive which was, I thought, the objective in getting a basic guitar out with the Collings brand.

I am looking forward to the opportunity to play the archtop, but at $4k it should be outstanding.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    ...bobbit...The MSRP isn't the street price - I'm sure there will be plenty of dealing on them...bobbit...
    "Beginning June 1st of this year [2019], Collings & Waterloo instruments will be offered in the marketplace at their full list price (MSRP)."

Artisan Guitars

In other words, the price you see is the price. No wiggle room.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    "Beginning June 1st of this year [2019], Collings & Waterloo instruments will be offered in the marketplace at their full list price (MSRP)."
    Artisan Guitars
    That's great for consumers! It means that when the entire selection is put "on sale" at a later date, very few having been sold at the MSRP, there will be an excellent selection available at prices well below MSRP. Very considerate of Artisan, and any other retailers who want to provide this service to their clientele.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46

While others have been excited about the Waterloo series, I am not.

I have inspected and played three, not the archtop of course.

I did not see the money. I thought they were crude and not the character and playability compared to my $100 1929 Stomberg Voisenet (sp). They are not inexpensive which was, I thought, the objective in getting a basic guitar out with the Collings brand.

I am looking forward to the opportunity to play the archtop, but at $4k it should be outstanding.
    I agree.

Have played two, a twelve-fretter & a fourteen.

Seductive for their lightness, not tone, response or price.
    Small guitars are a weakness of mine so I'd hoped for a stronger showing.

User Info Menu

Sounds good here:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra
    Sounds good here:

Great playing, crappy sound --- which is not to say the guitar might not sound fine miked properly in a quiet room.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky

Artisan Guitars

Wow. I feel even better about getting my WL-S when I did. Sheesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

""Beginning June 1st of this year [2019], Collings & Waterloo instruments will be offered in the marketplace at their full list price (MSRP)."

Artisan Guitars"

Is this from Artisan Guitars or from Collings/Waterloo?

I looked on the Artisan site and did not find that.

Why not just post the list price and deal with it one on one with the individual customer rather than make a public announcement.

And if this is Collings Waterloo speaking, is MSRP the new MAP ?

User Info Menu

Music Emporium has a new video on the WL-AT

Makes me think to really consider it. The top being Adirondack doesn't really show in the Lage videos but in that one you can really hear it. There is a Collings dealer near and I am going to see if they have plans on getting one in. The old style parallel bracing and carved top is really not available outside of a Loar in a small body guitar. If I can play one first there is a chance, for me that it is a perfect fit. Who knows what the actual price is, in person things can change.

?

User Info Menu

I can vouch for old Vegas. I had a '39 duo sound. Fantastic 3 piece carved top and sounded terrific.

Hey everybody, Im new to this forum. I've played for 20 years and have got more interested in jazz in the last 5.

My favourite player is Whit Smith from Hotclub of cowtown.

Im looking for an archtop for acoustic playing rather than electrified. Ive been looking around at some options. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for something along the lines of the waterloo archtop, but more affordable!
    I'm avoiding vintage guitars as I want to gig with guitar.

Thanks and look forward to chatting!

Stay safe

User Info Menu

Loar and Eastman along with Peerless will be your best bets in affordable Archtops. Also looked for used as well to help your money go further!

I was interested in the Eastman ar805, and the Loar LH600 looks good for less money. I have heard the the Loars quality control isn't great. Do you have any experience with these? thanks

User Info Menu

Weber's pop up all the time for way less money than they're worth, imho.

Op...POUNCE.