The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Just today I changed the strings in my Gretsch Electromatic for the first time, and it felt like a complete circus. The Bigsby has six pins where you insert the rings at the end of the strings. Never seen this before. I managed to do five sort or relatively quick, but the last one was like going on a fishing expedition. It took me forever to manage getting the ring through the pin (it was the high E string, close to the lever). In the end, because I figured something out or by sheer luck I managed to insert the ring through, but what a bother!

The guitar looks, feels and sounds absolutely gorgeous (even though some folks argue that you shouldn't play jazz with a guitar pigeon-holed for blues, rock and rockabilly: but this is a super-versatile guitar, imho), but I'm not sure about the ease of this method for restringing the guitar.

Anyone had a similar problem with this, or advice about replacing strings with this system?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

With a Bigsby try this: first prebend the string close to the ball end (around a pen for example). Hook it to the pin on the Bigsby and fix it with an alligator clip so it won't slip off. Should make things way easier....

User Info Menu

I allways thought the string thru was a better bigsby design.

User Info Menu

I think it doesnt take a genius to figure out if you make pins just a little longer that problem wouldnt occur. But apparently geniuses dont work at Bigsby factory.

Even when Duane Eddy specifically requested longer pins on his sig Gretsch, they still didnt get the message.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JaxJaxon
    I allways thought the string thru was a better bigsby design.
    It could be, but what slightly bothers me is steeper string wrap around the bar. More tension in the string end could potentially increase the string breakage. I'm only speculating, I'm not sure if it's true or not in practice, but it'd be my worry.

User Info Menu

I do also have an electromatic, and for String changes I'd recommend the String change buddy. It's a foam wedge that holds your string in place.

User Info Menu

The two essentials have been mentioned. The pre-bend first. I use a a small pliers. Put a full bend into the ball end of the string. You can then hook the bigsby post from underneath. I find an earplug perfect for the wedge part. Wedge it under there well so that the ball end does not unhook from the Bigsby post as you fasten the other end of the string at the headstock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    It could be, but what slightly bothers me is steeper string wrap around the bar. More tension in the string end could potentially increase the string breakage. I'm only speculating, I'm not sure if it's true or not in practice, but it'd be my worry.
    I would think the break angle off the tuners is more extreme and how often does a string break at that point.

User Info Menu

A soft rubber eraser also works to keep the strings on the Bigsby pins.

User Info Menu

Maybe the folks at Gretsch could come up with a simple device to ease getting the rings through the pins? Would they be reading this though...?

User Info Menu

Rings through the pins? Seems difficult, if not impossible.

User Info Menu

Yeah -- it's hard the first time. After that you figure it out. Pre-bend has already been mentioned and is the main issue.

User Info Menu

The best git design with a Bigsby is one where either the Bigsby was removed or never installed :-)

Seriously, the Gretsch forums at:

The Gretsch Discussion Pages — Gretsch Guitar Forums: The Gretsch Pages

and

Gretsch-Talk Forum

Are a wealth of info, but they absolutely do not tolerate ANY remarks like the one I started this post with!

User Info Menu

My point was that ISTM pins should go through rings, not the other way around. I'm not sure how one would get anything through a pin.

User Info Menu

Has anybody mentioned the Vibramate yet?

VIBRAMATE(R) - Innovative Music Products - Made in USA