The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 107

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    Enjoy your visit and audition.... I will need to wait for the 12th....(patience).
    I have no doubt it will be worth waiting for. I can see Bryants taken his work to yet another level of refinement. I’m only 6 serial numbers away from the 150th anniversary model.

D’Aquisto fan - when you see this guitar you just might want to get in on my batch 1151( if it’s not already taken ).

Real happy for your excitement -

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Almost there (still needs KA single coil & controls)

User Info Menu

Bryant has completed the “Artifex” and it will be leaving France tomorrow for United States to be exhibited at the Artisan Guitar Show in Harrisburg, PA on April 12-14 (please come and audition it).

As a reminder, this is a 17” archtop with a 25-1/4” scale length, a 1-3/4” nut width, Italian Alpine Spruce top, Bosnian Maple back and sides, one-piece Sugar Maple neck, Gaboon Ebony tailpiece/bridge/finger rest and fretboard, Jescar EVO .047” x .095” fretwire with a Kent Armstrong single coil floating pickup.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 04-07-2019 at 11:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Exquisite ! Can’t wait to see it in a few days.

User Info Menu

Stunning. Looking forward to seeing it and playing it in PA!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Exquisite ! Can’t wait to see it in a few days.
    Perhaps you and Bryant can make a short video?

User Info Menu

Yes, please!

User Info Menu

Congrats! That looks like one hello of a guitar. Very excited for you.

I got a jazz special a couple of weeks ago and have been meaning to share more about it. I finally had a chance to remind myself how my recording setup works and did a quick take last night. A full NGD post with photos will come later today but here’s a sneak peak.

User Info Menu

Bob,
    Bryant stopped by my office today with a friend to say hello. He decided to not bring your guitar because he felt you should be the first to play it - and I certainly agreed. He did bring the blond non-cut (1145) which is headed off to Paul Schmidt , author of “ Acquired of the Angels” - and will be on display at the show.

It was fun catching up with Bryant - I really miss my visits to his shop in Wesley Hills, NY.

I wish I was headed to the show to meet up with you and D’Aquisto fan, but between work and family obligations it’s just impossible this year.

Please let us all know about your new guitar day .

User Info Menu

Steve, that’s a shame, it would have been perfectly fine for you to audition the “Artifex” ahead of me. Guitars are meant to be played. That is why I encouraged Bryant to exhibit it at the Artisan Guitar Show.

I will definitely follow up with a posting and perhaps a video...

Bob,
    Bryant stopped by my office today with a friend to say hello. He decided to not bring your guitar because he felt you should be the first to play it - and I certainly agreed. He did bring the blond non-cut (1145) which is headed off to Paul Schmidt , author of “ Acquired of the Angels” - and will be on display at the show.

It was fun catching up with Bryant - I really miss my visits to his shop in Wesley Hills, NY.

I wish I was headed to the show to meet up with you and D’Aquisto fan, but between work and family obligations it’s just impossible this year.

Please let us all know about your new guitar day .

User Info Menu

Steve, that’s a shame, it would have been perfectly fine for you to audition the “Artifex” ahead of me. Guitars are meant to be played. That is why I encouraged Bryant to exhibit it at the Artisan Guitar Show.

I will definitely follow up with a posting and perhaps a video...
    It is a shame he didnt bring it over. I just assumed he would bring both guitars. About a half hour into the visit when I mentioned you wanted my feedback on the Artifex he said " sh..t- I should have brought it". No worries, if you live close to NY or PA , we can always get together.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

You sure that he didn’t say m*rde instead of sh*t?

It is a shame he didnt bring it over. I just assumed he would bring both guitars. About a half hour into the visit when I mentioned you wanted my feedback on the Artifex he said " sh..t- I should have brought it". No worries, if you live close to NY or PA , we can always get together.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That is the right pickup to use, IMO - an updated version of a great design. Like the guitar.
    Do you have the switch installed to select between P-90 and Dearmond outputs?

User Info Menu

No, I believe it is set at the 7,000 ohm setting because he likes the sound of it over the 10,000 ohm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    That is the right pickup to use, IMO - an updated version of a great design. Like the guitar.
    Do you have the switch installed to select between P-90 and Dearmond outputs?

User Info Menu

Well, if you don't particularly like the sound of old Dearmond FHC-C, 1000, or 1100 pickups, leave it as is - it provides a great P-90 sound. If you do like the Dearmond sound, install the switch.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip. I am sure that I will likely play it as is for a while before experimenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Well, if you don't particularly like the sound of old Dearmond FHC-C, 1000, or 1100 pickups, leave it as is - it provides a great P-90 sound. If you do like the Dearmond sound, install the switch.

User Info Menu

Here’s a short video of my friend taking the Artifex for a spin in a loud room...

User Info Menu

Beautiful.. and your finger is nice.

User Info Menu

Here’s a short video of my friend taking the Artifex for a spin in a loud room...
    Looks like the lessons are really paying off....
    Ahh, it's good to see Jimmy back on his feet.

User Info Menu

Here’s Brandon Scott Coleman (left) playing with Steve Herberman (right).

User Info Menu

As people here are aware, we love archtops because they do certain things really well. Good ones have supreme balance in volume across the strings, great string-to-string separation and maintain strength in their timbre all the way up the fretboard. This one has all that plus added sustain and a nice touch of added overtone warmth. It is a fantastic soloist instrument. Bryant is doing his own thing, but is no doubt very much influenced by the direction the late Jimmy D’Aquisto was headed in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s.

For a 17” instrument with thick plates, a rock maple neck and many ebony appointments it is quite light at 5.8 lb. the 25-1/4” scale is a nice balance between the power of a long scale and the ease of play and sweetness of a short scale. You can see in the photo below that Bryant continued to shape the bridge base (tapered now towards treble side) after he assembled and strung up the guitar. This is part of his build process to customize components of the guitar based upon playing it.

The Kent Armstrong 6-pole piece single coil floater does work even though the guitar has bronze strings on it. It is quiet and has a clear, but warm tone to it amplified. It is set up at 7,000 ohms (there are two settings on this pickup: 7,000 ohm and 10,000 ohm) and has volume and tone pots under its finger rest. I will hold my thoughts on that until I get a set of nickel strings on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Family Shot...

- 16” Comins Classic (KA HB + Barbera)
    - 17” Trenier Artifex (KA Single Coil)
    - 16” Comins Zelig (Acoustic)

User Info Menu

One more...

User Info Menu

iim7, That is a GORGEOUS guitar. Man you know how to pick em.
    And you take great pictures too.
    Awesome. Joe D