The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 74

User Info Menu

Lawson

That's sure a beauty...

I'm not 100% sure I like the flamed "Guild" style pick guard on there, but we'll see. I do like the Heritage version BUT I'm not sure I'll like whatever pickup is on it. BUT I have two Plan B's in place... Use one of the Aaron Cowles made pick guards shown with Shatten controls under it with the existing pickup. DO what Joe did, send the Heritage pickguard assembly to Kent Armstrong and have him put a fat sounding humbocker in it. OR maybe that single coil type like on the Super Patrick (or the Guild AA JS I have)...

Heritage Golden Eagle-46824103_10156064964272239_2971429555589349376_n-jpg

Heritage Golden Eagle-46496025_10156064964387239_2586179613432479744_n-jpg

Heritage Golden Eagle-46796236_10156064964372239_8785480166609518592_n-jpg

Heritage Golden Eagle-46823334_10156064965527239_4999784370010062848_n-jpg

Heritage Golden Eagle-46917158_10156064964197239_2087157486548156416_n-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Stunning beautiful stuff you got there, and those signatures... I'd frame anything George Benson signed and hang it up somewhere to show off!

I continue to hunt for that Heritage, just to know where it ended up. I could likely not afford to buy it back as I am now Gibson Poor, as it were (GIP = Gibson Induced Poverty?). But just knowing where it went would be good. I have a slight plan in place... so stay tuned.

User Info Menu

That GE was available locally at a great buy, for an eternity! I was never a fan of the Heritage country-western look pickguards. I preferred their rounded edge Ebony pickguards for the GE. Congrats BM!

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar.

As time goes on, I appreciate those Heritage guitars more and more. It's hard to explain.

User Info Menu

That reminds me of my Golden Eagle

Sometime I wish I had kept it ... these days I definitely would keep it over a solid body

On the other hand the Gibson R9 LP I traded it for is one of my keepers

I'll have to check my pictures when I get home to see if there's a match

User Info Menu

Heritage Golden Eagle-3b1f7c92-c936-47bf-b232-2f1c48779b69-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-3ab50df4-b642-4f8e-a41f-e09f15eee52d-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-b32b8de1-452d-4b3d-a24b-e28622ac2592-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-0c577f57-8ec6-4317-b884-2aa862b58510-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-3b1f7c92-c936-47bf-b232-2f1c48779b69-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-b32b8de1-452d-4b3d-a24b-e28622ac2592-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-0c577f57-8ec6-4317-b884-2aa862b58510-jpg

User Info Menu

Well both the GE and the HJS showed up three hours early, it was hilarious, the UPS and FedEx trucks back to back in front of my place bringing me big boxes. I had a good scare with the FedEx box, the GE, because it had the big duvet at the bottom, I opened her right up and THANK GOD the box had lots of heavy bubble wrap at the bottom and the case was warm enough (both trucks were running with heaters on, I ASKED). So I dragged that one into the office for a thorough going over. It was shipped in tune so I started playing it. Really a fast neck, not super skinny but I could spend hours playing chords and singing with her... It's far nicer than the photos suggest. I like it a lot...

Big

I posted this guitar when I first got it. It has been at Pete Moreno's shop for about 4 months or so. Thanks to Dr. Mark (MartyGrass) for keeping the restoration going. A few nicks/dings drop filled and buffed out. Had an ebony bridge built/fitted so I can go back and forth between a metal bridge and wood bridge in between string changes. Awesome setup. Pete sure knows how to bring a guitar back to life. It is a Golden Eagle with an HRW mounted pickup and parallel bracing (A Heritage Wes Mo). Sounds and plays great.

Heritage Golden Eagle-ge2-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-ge1-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-ge6-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-ge3-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-ge4-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-ge5-jpg

User Info Menu

Marty spoke highly many times of your guitar. Pete truly is a master of his craft !!!
    a real beauty Bob !!

User Info Menu

Hi

Beautiful guitar. The gold plated tailpiece looks brand new. Was it replaced or re-plated? If re-plated who did that work? I just purchased a mint L5. The only cosmetic issue with it is the dulled patina on the tailpiece.

Thx
    Cincy

User Info Menu

That guitar is very...red.

User Info Menu

I played that for a while. The neck is maybe medium thin and is fast. The action is good. The guitar is truly very comfortable.

I put it directly into my Hendersen and it made some beautiful sounds.

It had Chromes 12s.

I wouldn't change a thing on the guitar. You would be gilding the lilly. It's as good as you'll get with that general style of guitar.

User Info Menu

To hijack for a moment with a tangental info request, what are the dimensions for the Golden Eagle? The Heritage site does not currently seem to list these specs (in an obvious place at least). Specifically, I am curious about rim depth and body length—I know the bout is 17".

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that lists the specification (and the price of a new one). The old website use to have this information.

Heritage Golden Eagle | Guitars 'n Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by skittles
    To hijack for a moment with a tangental info request, what are the dimensions for the Golden Eagle? The Heritage site does not currently seem to list these specs (in an obvious place at least). Specifically, I am curious about rim depth and body length—I know the bout is 17".

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

The pics make it look maybe a little brighter red than what I saw in person. It's cherry, but it's not candy apple bright. It's the standard Gibson translucent cherry.

User Info Menu

The body dimensions of the Golden Eagle are much like the L-5, with the notable exceptions that the rim depth is only 3" and the body length is 20-1/4", not 21".

This is noticeable in hand. The Golden Eagle feels _much_ more comfortable in your arms than does the L-5. It scarcely seems to be a 17" guitar.

Owing to the 3" by 20-1/4" dimensions, the 18" Super Eagle also seems to be much less of an armful than does the Super Eagle.

FWIW. (All four guitars are excellent archtops.)

User Info Menu

Thanks for the sourcing/details on the specs. I've not yet had an opportunity to try an Eagle but hope to set that right sometime soon, especially due to the slightly smaller dimensions.

User Info Menu

A while ago, Mike and I made a deal. If I ever got tired of the HJS18, he gets it back. I didn’t think it would ever happen. My plan was to die with that guitar. The HJS18 was, still is and probably will always be -- the best guitar I’ve ever played. It was everything I ever wanted in a guitar. I always wanted it to work for me. And after I “Joe’d” it all up, it really did.
    But as my life went on my fun money thinned out, Bills and some of my other interests needed some of it. So I called Mike and told him I was thinking of parting with the HJS18. We worked out a deal where we swapped the 165 (I sold him back in December), plus some cash for the HJS18.
    For some reason (might have been one of my posts here..), it didn’t sit well with Mike that I would be with only one guitar going forward. So a couple of weeks ago (totally out of the blue) I get a text from him that said, “Joe, I’m gonna loan you the Wineburst for a while. It has a chunky neck just like your 165..” I said, your gonna what? He basically told me to shut up and just play the hell out it.. No strings attached. Its going back to New Jersey where it belongs.
    So, on loan from the Hale Guitar Collection, here is the famous Wineburst..

Heritage Golden Eagle-170dea46-ca8b-4531-ae13-88fd5ef639be-jpg

When I received the Guitar it was apparent to me that it was basically never played. Patrick had A LOT of guitars. He was more of a collector than a player. This one, wasn’t even broken in. You can feel it on a new guitar. So I took off the strings, the pickguard and the pickup, the knobs and the tailpiece and got my Porter Cable out and started polishing. I used Sonax Final Polish as a one step and it brought the finish back to life. The Super Rotomatic tuners were oxidized so I polished them up good. The heads were very loose, so I tightened them. The gold plating on the Finger tailpiece and pickup cover was in great shape. Speaking of the pickup, this pickup was a Gibson pickup that Ronaldo gave to Patrick years ago. It has the infamous patent number 2737842 stamped into the back plate which was the patent number for Gibsons’ wraparound tailpiece!?! Apparently, Gibson used that Patent number as a deterrent for other pickup makers so they would not try and copy the pickup design. Nonetheless, it’s a nice Humbucker that sounds like the offspring of a 57 Classic and a T-Top. Pretty powerful and well defined from top to bottom. I love Gibson pickups, so this one suits me fine.

The top is thin and the bracing is shaped like a wide X, to allow for placement of the routed humbucker in the neck position. The acoustic sound with George Benson 13’s is amazing. It is much louder than the 3” depth should project. So far, the sound is completely well balanced across the entire neck. Speaking of the neck, its not chunky at all. But the neck heal is obstacle big like my 165, which is no doubt why I have both of these guitars. Lets face it, I am a chord melody player at this stage and playing solos an octave up the neck is something I do very infrequently. So it doesn’t bother me at all.

I look forward to exploring the possibilities of this guitar. It has sat idle for too long and it deserves to be played. Patrick said this Guitar was made in 2012 for a recording artist who couldn’t pay for it. That’s a shame for such a high quality instrument. In the coming month I will post a Video (or 2, yeah you know me), but for now I have some adapting to do and I wont do a disservice to this guitar by just throwing something together. Stay tuned..
    Heritage Golden Eagle-ac1a32fe-a3c7-4e9b-8d6f-5e6c75d98953-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-9353d3a8-26bc-4fa0-8b79-3d133f39c51d-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-d798814f-1cab-423f-94ce-bdfd6e155c86-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle-6a1de787-fa1e-4ee7-afed-25bb100b5d5a-jpg

Last edited by Max405; 03-29-2019 at 08:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Looking good Joe
    Get it to Ronaldo have him take care of that tailrise, I’ll pay for the work.

Big

User Info Menu

What a forum this is! Have fun, Joe.

User Info Menu

Congrats Joe - I love the color. BigMike is a generous man with a big heart.

User Info Menu

This thread made my morning.

User Info Menu

That is SO "my kind of guitar." Just perfect.

What a cool deal. Mike's a good guy, big heart.

User Info Menu

Now not to make waves but this didn't go down quite like Joe said: I believe I texted him something more like

Shut up Joe, I'm sending it...

LOL
    (got a few of ya there for a second huh ???)

A lot of times Joe was talking about how he wanted a L5, or a WesMo specifically. No matter what we have we ALL got something we want. This place foments serious GAS for sure.

When I had that Wineburst here back in 2016 I looked at it and thought, sheesh if that ain't a Heritage WesMo I don't know what is. It is a lovely guitar and I know Joe will make incredible music with it... It does my heart good to see him getting so excited over it. I know Patrick and Fran Amato will be smiling too...

Big

User Info Menu

Well done...Big Mike and Joe!!!