The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 151

User Info Menu

The Sharktooth and Kodiak picks come in thicker than 1.0, and they have a very smooth attack. [These are what I use, and I've tried all the rest.]

Have you tried V-picks, as another option?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There’s this nice post from dutchbopper:

Dutchbopper's Jazz Guitar Blog: Take Your Pick

My favorite is dunlop primetone (jazz iii XL shape).
    I also like the golden gate mandolin picks.

The one that is least noisy for me is the regular dunlop Jazz III XL pick, but not sure if that’s heavy enough.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    But "Jazztones" are the most "clicky" picks I ever played*, just saying.... I played the 207 for years and the noise was my reason to eventually change. Now I play mostly Ultex standard 1,14 or D'Andrea triangle 1,5.

*Not quite true, the stainless steel where even louder..
    Different strokes, I guess. I never found the 207s to be clicky.

User Info Menu

I just got a Blue Chip Jazz 50 and love it, bought it used for $20. trying to find some more.

User Info Menu

I've got lots of Blue Chip picks - I put them on my XMas wish list every year; friends seem to enjoy giving them to me!
    (I'd rather have another Blue Chip pick than another sweater!)
    I use Jazz 60's on my archtop strung with 12's and Jazz 50's on my semi-hollow strung with 11's.

User Info Menu

I change pick every two weeks, but with blue chip is twice a year possible? Does the print on the pick go away like Dunlop’s lousy print?

User Info Menu

I have 5 Blue Chips for each guitar mentioned. I rotate them randomly using a different one each session. None of them have worn much at all in about 5 years. I probably have a lifetime supply. Twice a year is certainly possible, but may not even be necessary. The print is embossed into the pick; it fades a bit with use but doesn't go away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    I have 5 Blue Chips for each guitar mentioned. I rotate them randomly using a different one each session. None of them have worn much at all in about 5 years. I probably have a lifetime supply. Twice a year is certainly possible, but may not even be necessary. The print is embossed into the pick; it fades a bit with use but doesn't go away.
    Which ones?

User Info Menu

As above, my Blue Chip Large Jazz 50 is more than two years old, and shows no wear at all. It looks, sounds, and feels the same as it did new, although there are lots of micro scratches all over the sides from being scraped against things in my pocket, or whatever. You have to look closely to see them, but even steel will scratch a little over time. These scratch much less than any other pick I've tried, and the point stays as smooth as it started, probably from playing. I also have a Large Jazz 40, which was a mistake to buy because it's too thin, but I use it sometimes on acoustics for a brighter sound. It also shows no wear. And the gold (colored, I assume) print looks almost new, nothing missing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by znerken
    Which ones?
    As I said in post #30:
    "I use Jazz 60's on my archtop strung with 12's and Jazz 50's on my semi-hollow strung with 11's."

User Info Menu

As I said in post #30:
    "I use Jazz 60's on my archtop strung with 12's and Jazz 50's on my semi-hollow strung with 11's."
    My mistake!

User Info Menu

I use the Dunlop Big Stubby 2mm, modified.

I sanded the point a bit narrower and rounded all the lower area. And of course use the pick at an angle to the strings, not flat.

Very smooth action and no pick sounds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I've tried many thick picks (Rosewood, Ebony, Stubby) they're good but hey click. Strangely enough I've got better result with Dunlop Jazztone 207 or 208.
    But I would warmly recommend the Dugain acetate, the smooothest pick I've ever tried. I also like the Dugain Delrin but the Acetate is even smoother.

User Info Menu

Clayton Black Raven
    or
    Clayton Acetal Rounded Triangle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by znerken
    I change pick every two weeks, but with blue chip is twice a year possible? Does the print on the pick go away like Dunlop’s lousy print?
    The differences in this sort of thing fascinate me. There are some particular picks I've been using for years, even decades. Takes me months just to get them broken in. I like a worn pick. a set of strings might be on my guitar for a year or longer, whereas I know people who change them from one gig to the next which may mean changing strings 4-5 times a week (those folks aren't jazzers, though).

Changing BC picks a couple times a year is going to be a spendy proposition. I've used one once, felt nice and sounded very good but the shape wasn't what I prefer (I like a small teardrop- especially the Pro Plec 358 which is my favorite or the Jazz III shape for variety). The BC pick users have tended to report a really long service life, though- like many gigs with no discernible wear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mambosun
    I've tried many thick picks (Rosewood, Ebony, Stubby) they're good but hey click. Strangely enough I've got better result with Dunlop Jazztone 207 or 208.
    But I would warmly recommend the Dugain acetate, the smooothest pick I've ever tried. I also like the Dugain Delrin but the Acetate is even smoother.
    Same here, I also use the Dunlop Jazztone 207 in size L. No noises or clicks. Paid 4,60 Euro for a pack of six.
    Will try the Dugain Acetate, too. Thanks for the tip, mambosun.
    Last edited by Musgo Real; 12-25-2018 at 08:07 PM.

User Info Menu

This thread is moving in the direction of pretty much all pick threads, no matter how specific the OP: everyone, most of whom have tried many many picks, has their favorite to recommend. That's a good thing!

As far as Blue Chips are concerned, buy one and try it. If you like it, request more as holiday gifts like I do! If you don't like it, sell it - there appears to be a modest market for used ones.

Full disclosure: I occasionally use Wegen Twins (2.5mm) or Wegen Big City Jazz (1.8mm) on my flattop acoustics. And if I had to, I could be reasonably happy with Dunlop Ultex Jazz III's (1.38 mm) on my electrics and Dunlop John Petrucci Jazz III's (1.5 mm) on my acoustics.
    Last edited by Tom Karol; 12-26-2018 at 11:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Yeah. I will venture out away from my favorite Dugain picks. I also like the Blue Chip TP60 very much. 3 points, no chirps, wears VERY slowly, comfortable to hold and play.

Super pricey though.

User Info Menu

This thread is moving in the direction of pretty much all pick threads, no matter how specific the OP: everyone, most of whom have tried many many picks, has their favorite to recommend. That's a good thing!

As far as Blue Chips are concerned, buy one and try it. If you like it, request more as holiday gifts like I do! If you don't like it, sell it - there appears to be a modest market for used ones.

Full disclosure: I occasionally use Wegen Twins (2.5mm) or Wegen Big City Jazz (1.8mm) on my flattop acoustics. And if I had to, I could be reasonably happy with Dunlop Ultex Jazz III's (1.38 mm) on my electrics and Dunlop John Petrucci Jazz III's (1.5 mm) on my acoustics.
    this is true, i try to buy a used one. Bought my first BC small jazz 50 for $20 to my door, just picked up another for $20. feels better than $35.00

User Info Menu

Three picks from BC bought. That was 100 bucks easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

After recording passages with many different picks I found that and sonic difference between picks coming through the amp was negligible. Even going from what I perceived as very noisy lexan to nylon (both Dunlop) to celluloid (Fender) to buffalo horn, any sound at the amp was minimal at best.

But what I did find is that pick stability in the fingers was very different among the many different ones I tried. The slightly concave (or convex if held reversed) buffalo horn picks slipped around less than even the Dunlop Max Grip Jazz III. Unfortunately they come sized like a Fender 351 and I have to trim them on my sander then buff the edges smooth but they last a long time and the color variations make them easy to find no matter what I set one down on.

Thick guitar pick that does not chirp/click?-horn_picks-jpg

Thick guitar pick that does not chirp/click?-picks_r-jpg

User Info Menu

Gator Grip 2.0mm - after they break in a little.
    Also the 1.5mm - they are soft material - surprised they work at all.

(Black) Planet Waves 1.5 mm duragrip - if your pick moves around on you - these really have texture - again a bit of break in to see if it works for you. These seem a hair softer than regular Delrin - maybe the heat when they stamp the texture - even the edge is softer slightly ...

I have never tried the really exotic picks but 1.5 mm and 2.0mm due to the round edge ( from the thickness ) can kind of roll off the string for ghosting and almost legato - and be articulate with firm picking- but everyone is different , obviously.

I get more pick noise with certain ones I have tried that others don't and vice versa.

User Info Menu

Had to erase video, sorry..
    Last edited by DonEsteban; 02-24-2019 at 05:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Everyone has his/her favourites. After having tried many cheaper ones, including different Dunlop Jazztones (not too bad), I was notified of this small company run by Pedro in Rome, Italy. I am only using the handmade Pleks Fiorentino now and will not change that anymore. Indeed, no chirps, no clicks. Not cheap, but it is perfect.