Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 618

User Info Menu

The C7 is an embellishment

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by don_oz
    The bridge goes like this: |Bbm7 |Eb7 |Ab^ | % |C7 |F7 |Bb7 | % |

EDIT: Upon transcribing the melody as well the bridge actually goes like this |Bbm7 |Eb7 |Ab^ | % |Cm7 |F7 |Fm7 |Bb7 | Bud also plays this in the solo too, you can hear him play roots in his left hand in the bridge, clear as day.
    Update

User Info Menu

Oh classic Honeysuckle with ii vs then

well in my opinion bud accidentally played the wrong changes, and he clearly meant rhythm bridge

that was a joke.

anyway, mongomery ward bridge and honeysuckle bridge means the same thing? i had a teacher who called the rhythm turnaround an “ice cream turnaround” is that a thing or was he starting to lose his mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    that was a joke.

anyway, mongomery ward bridge and honeysuckle bridge means the same thing? i had a teacher who called the rhythm turnaround an “ice cream turnaround” is that a thing or was he starting to lose his mind?

I thought "ice cream changes" were I vi ii V. (Aka, the A section of RC, not the B.)

I think "Montgomery Ward bridge" and "Honeysuckle Rose bridge" are synonymous. I think the RC bridge is also known as the "Sears & Roebuck bridge."

Supposedly, Charlie Parker's "Scrapple from the Apple" was the first bop tune written over a "Honeysuckle" A section and a RC B section.

User Info Menu

that was a joke.

I’ve never heard that one

im going to make a turnaround called “The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Turnaround”

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I thought "ice cream changes" were I vi ii V. (Aka, the A section of RC, not the B.)
    you could be right, but he definitely taught it the other way round

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I’ve never heard that one
    It's an American thing.
    Montgomery Ward was a large department store chain. (Long gone now.)
    Sears & Roebuck was too. It became just Sears later and is a minor player now.

In my mom's generation, a Sears catalog was known as a "wish book." (You look at it and ponder all the things you wish you could buy but you can't, still, it's fun to look and dream...)

so tying this in with the topic, i think i’ll start doing scale outlines for honeysuckle bridge along woth my rhythm changes and maybe i’ll start hearing it since all i listen to is bebop and apparently it’s all over the place! thanks osmond et al!

I7 up and down, IV up and down, II7 up and down, V7 up and down correct?

User Info Menu

I hadn’t heard of ice cream changes. The Montgomery ward/sears roebuck names I had heard of although personally I would talk somebody through a tune by saying ‘rhythm changes A honeysuckle B’ - clear to anyone with a basic repetoire.

christian can you confirm the above

User Info Menu

I7 up and down, IV up and down, II7 up and down, V7 up and down correct?
    Bingo

ugh sorry to be a pest, but should the IV have the #4 scale degree? I know he does that sometimes. for example play cmaj scale from F to E

User Info Menu

Nah, not to my ears. It’s preceded by a I7 so it’s like - new key

User Info Menu

An example of where it could be done is the Dbmaj7 in All the Things - it’s part of the key and not prepared by a secondary dominant.

But - these things are up for experimentation and subbing etc.

ok got it and like autumn leaves or whatever

User Info Menu

Whatever

User Info Menu

im going to make a turnaround called “The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Turnaround”
    I don't think you get to name your own turnaround... The name comes when other musicians need a way to refer to it that everyone on the bandstand understands. And it may just be your name, as in the Tadd Dameron turnaround (aka the Coltrane turnaround).

User Info Menu

Who calls it the Trane turnaround?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Who calls it the Trane turnaround?
    I think this was the first place I saw it.

Chord Progressions for Songwriters - Richard J. Scott - Google Books

User Info Menu

Blues at 200 bpm.

RC at 200

Thanks for letting me participate here, nobody studies this stuff on my instrument, thus I'm here.

I've done Blues and RC in all keys and now working on dominant half step rules plus 5 4 3 2 in all keys. Slow improv in each key for now to get these more into my hands and mind.

We REALLY need a Barry icon below
    Last edited by Petimar; 09-25-2018 at 09:30 PM.

great work, Pete!