The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 234

User Info Menu

this post has been my experience with every archtop i've ever had, since the day i got them. it's all i do.

my most similar guitar is a byrdland, and i'm still surprised by how aggressive and smooth the bridge pickup can be. for the uninitiated, if your guitar has more than one pickup, there is a switch on your guitar that lets you toggle between them. either move it down or toward the bridge, depending on the orientation of the switch.

but back when these things were invented, there weren't as many distinctions as there are now. it was just a guitar. people used them for early rock and country and whatever else because a guitar was a guitar. they still are, by the way.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Interesting post. What strings gauge did you use on your L5?
    I have a .012 gauge set of Thomastik Bebops on, replacing the unwound 3rd the set comes with with a wound 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    In a similar vain I love using my 175 for everything. Obviously it does funk very well, just ask Jimmy Nolan.

With so much wordiness and oomph in the sound the clean can replace overdrive in a lot of situations because it can sound quite aggressive. The bridge can cover a lot of acoustic territory.

I do find overdrive tricky re the eq. It can easily sound odd but as I often find a scratchy thin fuzzy although on its own is not to a guitarists liking necessarily, in the mix of a band it is perfect.

Do you have any recordings of your axe in that setting? Would love to hear it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I still had my 175 I bet that would have worked well too - I’ve heard that guitar in non jazz contexts before and it seems to work really well for almost any style. I don’t have any recordings unfortunately (unless someone was recording the musical, which I can check on).

Quote Originally Posted by rhoadsscholar
    Curious if you found the bridge pickup settings useful/usable or the both pickup settings to pull this off (or did you just hang out on the remarkable neck pickup of the L5).
    I did use the bridge pickup on two tunes since on the original cast recording it sounded like what the guitarist was doing. It worked very nicely and I was happy with the sound. Nice to actually put the bridge pickup to use too since I never use it haha. The neck pickup did a great job though and I could have easily used it for all of the songs instead of I hadn’t heard the origins cast recording to try to copy the sounds there.

Regarding feedback, I’ve never had feedback issues with this guitar. I don’t usually have feedback problems in genera with archtops except sometimes with my PM100 (that guitar is notorious for feeding back) but I can control it easily. Keeping the amp in the right place has a lot to do with it for me and if I have room to position the amp on my left in a specific spot I won’t ever have feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

There was a time when I sold all of my instruments to get a 1920s L-5 with a McCarty pickup. I got the guitar from an aging studio musician and jamming partner of Grant Green. How could I go wrong?

Well, my gigs were rock and blues, and I was just getting into jazz. Feedback was a problem. I had a lot of help though managing it.

Tone was not an issue. With lighter round wounds it worked fine. The same was true with my subsequent guitars: Guild AA, Es-175.

I did one musical with a Howard Roberts and another with an ES-345. They all work.

There are some guitars better suited for certain genres, no doubt. But most guitars get by in most situations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dhango
    Don't forget Jerry Miller of Moby Grape. He used to play a 175, I guess...
    Jerry Miller plays an L5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    Jerry Miller plays an L5
    Great Jerry interview...

Jerry Miller | Vintage Guitar(R) magazine

It's named Buelah, and he bought it new from Gibson factory, and he called Gibson every day to annoy them..

Easily mistaken for a 175 due to the Florentine cutaway...

User Info Menu

Guitar dealer/historian George Gruhn said Maybelle Carter's 1928 L5 was "the most important single guitar in the entire history of country music.”

She could fingerpick a pretty tune, but when needed, she was a drivin' rhythm machine, who could hold her own with anyone.

User Info Menu

This is a really special guitar, a 2014 L5 Premier. I flew down to Vinny's and picked it up yesterday. I've lusted after one of these and finally pulled the trigger. Being mainly an acoustic player, it knocks the ball out of the park. And it is in perfect condition. I can't say enough good things about Vinny either. The interaction was a pleasure, and I got to play his new Campellone too! Pretty darn special. QAman sold one of these a couple of years ago, and I didn't move fast enough and wasn't about to let this one get away. It's pure bliss, as perfect as a guitar can be, IMHO! Thank you Vinny! You are awesome!

The Venerable Gibson L-5-20180916_1025301-jpg
    Last edited by skykomishone; 09-16-2018 at 02:14 PM.

User Info Menu

It just looks RIGHT. Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Enjoy the visual, aural, and physical pleasure of playing that baby. Such a joy to hear of your pleasure at both getting this and visiting with Vinny!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

That is a beauty and if I was going to play an L5 that would probably be the one! Play us tune on it.

User Info Menu

Skykomishone,
    Gorgeous guitar and a wise choice. The Gibson Crimson L5's are fantastic guitars , and buying from Vinny insured you the guitar was already critiqued for perfection.

Do enjoy. By the way, did you take the guitar back on the plane ?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

A real classic beauty!

How is it braced?

User Info Menu

Sky,
    Vinny was fond of that guitar and sad to see it go.
    I am glad it found a good home and it will get all the hydration it needs to stay perfect for the rest of its life with you.
    It’s great to see a terrific guitar go to a great home.
    Congratulations.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Steve,

The pleasure was all mine and a joy to meet you. I really appreciate that you flew down to get it with my shipping fears.
    My wife already stoled the money and hired a landscaper to redo our drought dead front yard. Happy wife/happy life.

May that L5P bring you years of joy. It is a special one for sure. Even has the evo gold frets. The fact that it is A braced makes it special too. Gibson will never make these again.

Hope to hook up with you next summer and play some of your sweet axes. I love happy endings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    A real classic beauty!

How is it braced?
    A braced

Great score sky, what an amazing L5. Vinny's great to deal with and has made alot of guitar dreams come true hear on JGF. Enjoy that beauty.

User Info Menu

As Ralph Cramden used to say, "hamana hamana hamana." That's one sweet L5P. Beautiful finish, and--of course--Vinny kept it in perfect (i.e., mint) condition.

You will enjoy this guitar. It will become your No. 1, I predict.

User Info Menu

beautiful in every way...tale & guitar

a great story for our forum here..a union of jazz guitar lovers!! all of us!

congrats & enjoy

and hopefully you'll be enjoying that new front garden soon vinny!!! nature inspires!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    As Ralph Cramden used to say, "hamana hamana hamana." That's one sweet L5P. Beautiful finish, and--of course--Vinny kept it in perfect (i.e., mint) condition.

You will enjoy this guitar. It will become your No. 1, I predict.
    I don’t know maybe his no.2......his no.1 is pretty special.

Jimmy D would like him. He took off my girlie TI 12’s and put on manly 13-56 rounds.

User Info Menu

An L-5P should sing with 13-56 rounds.

User Info Menu

Sweet guitar, great story! Only on JGF! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

Also, really fine photograph. You have an eye.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Steve! That's one beautiful guitar. Okay, I'll have to come over and play that one, and the Campy, and the Anderson, and the vintage '175, and the piano...I might need the spare room!

User Info Menu

Someone can name this guitar ! Inside the body there is a label with the words Custom Built for Henry Allen by William Malon (or Malone!) March 21, 1969.
    What value can it have? Thank !

The Venerable Gibson L-5-gibson-es-125-l5-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dariocing
    Someone can name this guitar ! Inside the body there is a label with the words Custom Built for Henry Allen by William Malon (or Malone!) March 21, 1969.
    What value can it have? Thank !

The Venerable Gibson L-5-gibson-es-125-l5-jpg
    Does it say L5 inside? Looks closer to an L4 although the type of wood doesn’t match up and is what you would normally see on a 175 and there are too many other differences to think it’s an L4 since it is kind of a mix of stuff. The tailpiece would also have been used on an L4 but the inlays are what you’d see on an L5. Although the L4 is what I think of with that body type in 69 they were still using the Florentine cutaway. I’m very curious about it though - looks cool. Maybe if you got in touch with Gibson they could help you try to find out more about it. Also is there any sign that someone replaced the neck or tailpiece? It kind of looks like someone put an L5 neck on a 165 or one pickup 175 body.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Good evening ! I bought this guitar at the Gardiner Houlgate auction on 12-12-2018, as the guitar sounds great, I just wanted to get to know its story! Greetings Dario
    Last edited by Dariocing; 01-31-2019 at 04:37 PM.