The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

I have done a lot to verify the much publicized love affair I have with my 18" Heritage Johnny Smith. Its my favorite guitar and there is nothing I can do about it. Sometimes a guitar attach's itself to you and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.
    Even after having said that, there is little doubt, the Gibson Johnny Smith is the best guitar I have. Whenever I come back to this guitar, it proves to me why it was the Johnny that even Johnny really wanted.
    The re-fretting put this guitar into another league. But the new pickup on HJS-18 drew it closer.
    No matter what, these guitars will always be involved in some kind of duel. A duel of which neither of them want any part of.. But its the right thing to do, since everyone wants to know, "Which one is better?"
    And how ironic is it that the one that is "better" is not the one I love the most..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Exquisite. No matter which Johnny S. you choose to express yourself with, it still comes out as 100% Joe D. And as Martha S. would say, that's a good thing. Thanks again for the beautiful music!

User Info Menu

This forum is at its best when the members play. Joe you always remind us what we're here for. It's the music.

I thought I could play this tune... but I'm headed back to the 'shed.

User Info Menu

Thanks as always Joe. You've never sounded better !

Dennis

User Info Menu

Great stuff JD. You simply must keep both guitars. For all of your days. And I am not kidding!

User Info Menu

Joe is sounds great and you have got them down for all the particulars. I don't want to alarm you though but as great as the JS is the sound is still in the players hands.

Pat Martino at various times played a Gibson L5, GIbson Johnny Smith, Koontz, L5S, and some Gibson 339's ish type guitars. No matter what guitar he plays he sounds like Pat Martino and it takes maybe 3 bars to figure that out.

Joe I am pretty sure you could make a Les Paul sound as good on the tune. The only difference is that the guitar can bring out the " x " factor and make is special. You did well my friend, keep playing the JS!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I have done a lot to verify the much publicized love affair I have with my 18" Heritage Johnny Smith. Its my favorite guitar and there is nothing I can do about it. Sometimes a guitar attach's itself to you and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.
    Even after having said that, there is little doubt, the Gibson Johnny Smith is the best guitar I have. Whenever I come back to this guitar, it proves to me why it was the Johnny that even Johnny really wanted.
    The re-fretting put this guitar into another league. But the new pickup on HJS-18 drew it closer.
    No matter what, these guitars will always be involved in some kind of duel. A duel of which neither of them want any part of.. But its the right thing to do, since everyone wants to know, "Which one is better?"
    And how ironic is it that the one that is "better" is not the one I love the most..

Very interesting arrangement Joe. Is that one you came up with yourself, or another Johnny Smith?

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Exquisite. No matter which Johnny S. you choose to express yourself with, it still comes out as 100% Joe D. And as Martha S. would say, that's a good thing. Thanks again for the beautiful music!
    i usta LOVE Martha. Anyone who can make a lighted Christmas tree out of toilet paper and paper clips is special in my book..
    Thank you C74.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    This forum is at its best when the members play. Joe you always remind us what we're here for. It's the music. I thought I could play this tune... but I'm headed back to the 'shed.
    Lawson my man. Thank you buddy. I actually tried posting songs on the Other forums. As long as you guys tell me you like them and “keep them coming” I’d rather post here. Because I really think it’s cool to show what the equipment does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Thanks as always Joe. You've never sounded better !
    Dennis
    Thank so much Dennis. I am getting really fond of my current setup. I really think it’s studio quality.

User Info Menu

i usta LOVE Martha. Anyone who can make a lighted Christmas tree out of toilet paper and paper clips is special in my book..
    is that what she did while she was in prison, or something from her show?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Great stuff JD. You simply must keep both guitars. For all of your days. And I am not kidding!
    i will keep these for as long as I could figure out what the hell they are hanging on my wall.. These, a DA (or a damn good replica of one) and an L5 and I’m set. I just I don’t run out of time.
    thank you brother.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Joe is sounds great and you have got them down for all the particulars. I don't want to alarm you though but as great as the JS is the sound is still in the players hands.
    Pat Martino at various times played a Gibson L5, GIbson Johnny Smith, Koontz, L5S, and some Gibson 339's ish type guitars. No matter what guitar he plays he sounds like Pat Martino and it takes maybe 3 bars to figure that out.
    Joe I am pretty sure you could make a Les Paul sound as good on the tune. The only difference is that the guitar can bring out the " x " factor and make is special. You did well my friend, keep playing the JS!
    Deacon Mark, thank you buddy. I feel the same about a lot of players I’ve heard. They just put there stamp on everything. SS always uses the words “inspire you”. I think that’s important. I think the player has to want the guitar enough to patiently find its sweet spot. Then, nice things happen. I’ll bet the sweet spot on your New Yorker is sweeter than Cherry pie!
    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Very interesting arrangement Joe. Is that one you came up with yourself, or another Johnny Smith?
    John
    no I heard the great Joe Pass play it and I learned it off of one his videos. Well, as close as I could anyway.

User Info Menu

Very nice sounding Gibson Johnny Smith and what a beautiful sunburst finish!

Loved the chord melody solo of When You Wish Upon A Star that you put together too!

Thank you for posting yet another great video for all of us to enjoy.

User Info Menu

another homerun Joe D!...beautiful, very soulful rendering and yet the fast runs are clean and articulate...the little bit of reverb reminds me of those 50's albums... very nice...bravo

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    is that what she did while she was in prison, or something from her show?
    Ha! That was before her time in the can.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    Very nice sounding Gibson Johnny Smith and what a beautiful sunburst finish!
    Loved the chord melody solo of When You Wish Upon A Star that you put together too!
    Thank you for posting yet another great video for all of us to enjoy.
    Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Chord Melody Guitar
    Thank you Steven. The pleasure is all mine, trust me. The Joe Pass stuff is hard to learn and play and even harder to remember!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    another homerun Joe D!...beautiful, very soulful rendering and yet the fast runs are clean and articulate...the little bit of reverb reminds me of those 50's albums... very nice...bravo

cheers
    Did anyone see the home run Gary Sanchez hit last night? Upper deck, left center. 460 ft and climbing. God that guy is strong.
    thank you Neatomic. I love this song. I appreciate it buddy.

User Info Menu

Very nice!

User Info Menu

when Joe D blends JS & JP...good things

cheers

ps- imagine on a John D or Jimmy D guitar!!! hah

User Info Menu

Great guitar playing, Joe. Really knockout. People often ask me which is my favourite instrument, and I always answer, "The one I'm holding." Same in photography - the best camera is the one you have in your hand when the opportunity for the shot comes along. Live long and prosper , Joe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    when Joe D blends JS & JP...good things
    cheers
    ps- imagine on a John D or Jimmy D guitar!!! hah
    Its funny Neatomic, when I 1st saw that video it was the greatest thing that I ever heard played on a guitar. Since then, it dropped to 2nd place when I saw Tommy Emmanuel play Over the Rainbow. I don't know, I got a thing for old movie songs and GREAT guitar players!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Great guitar playing, Joe. Really knockout. People often ask me which is my favourite instrument, and I always answer, "The one I'm holding." Same in photography - the best camera is the one you have in your hand when the opportunity for the shot comes along. Live long and prosper , Joe.
    Robster! Thank you buddy. I know what you mean. You are probably like me in a lot of ways. I conform to a guitar. I never expect it to be "perfect for me". If I play one exclusively for a couple of weeks, I become one with it. But when I go back to my HJS18, I say oh my God this is easy to play. And then when I pick up the GJS, I say wow, this is nice and it sounds better than all the rest. Its refined. Like a high end Mercedes Benz.

Thanks everyone!

User Info Menu

Well Joe....guess that's it.....I'm burning all mine.
    Wonderful performance.....just wonderful.

User Info Menu

Hey Joe.....I still hear Motola. Great!!

User Info Menu

Mickey, that was You? Oh man that is so cool.
    Yeah, maybe its part of being one of those Mediterranean types.. Maybe its all the olive oil in our bodies.

Thanks Mickey. I hope all goes well. You got a lot of folks pulling for you here. Stay strong.

Joe D

User Info Menu

But when I go back to my HJS18, I say oh my God this is easy to play. And then when I pick up the GJS, I say wow, this is nice and it sounds better than all the rest. Its refined.
    This is exactly what I was getting at with my recent thread about guitars that demand one's extra effort.

To me, the GJS would be the true captain of my heart. I'd work hard to tame and hopefully master it. And of course I'd keep and enjoy both.

User Info Menu

You've really got your sound dialed in too....clean, crisp, balanced. I know that must have taken a while.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    This is exactly what I was getting at with my recent thread about guitars that demand one's extra effort.
    To me, the GJS would be the true captain of my heart. I'd work hard to tame and hopefully master it. And of course I'd keep and enjoy both.
    Roger that. I think you are 1000% right RP.
    But if you played my HJS18, you’d be like “ Hooolly Shit Joe this thing plays nice”.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    You've really got your sound dialed in too....clean, crisp, balanced. I know that must have taken a while.
    Thanks Mickey. Sometimes it pays to tinker. A lot of people here helped me get all of my guitars right. There’s some great resources here that are willing to offer their experience to a shlub like me. It’s really worked out great.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Joe, its not so much the guitar as it is you. The fact is you are an excellent musician. I've re-listened to some of your YouTube recordings, using different guitars. Your arrangements, tone, articulation, use of passing notes and arpeggios shows a mastery of the instrument that's seldom seen. I sometimes can discern subtle differences between instruments, which I attribute to the "fit" and "feel" or integration between you and that particular guitar.

And as you advised, I have not stepped on any of my guitars!

Tony D.