The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 247

User Info Menu

Welcome back brother. I've always had great respect for your playing and it was nice to connect with you on a personal level as well. I'm not on here much anymore but when I do log in, it's so nice to check in on your work. Honestly, your solo playing has inspired me to want to spend a year working on that aspect of my playing.

That guitar is *HUGE* though. I once owned a 1948 super 400 and it was just too much for me but sound-wise, there's nothing like an 18" heritage or gibson!

Thanks for sharing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

p.s. you should professionally record and release a solo guitar album.

User Info Menu

... And we're dam glad ye are BACK!!!

What a BIG tone from that beefy rig! Now I'm off to ArchtopWorld.com

User Info Menu

Welcome home Joe. She, and you ,sound wonderful. As all your guitars do. It ain't the arrow,it's the Indian. Are you using the Thomastic 12's or 13's on her? Good to have you back Joe. AG

User Info Menu

Nice to see you back Joe. Nice to hear your excellent playing again. Nice to see your reconciliation with jz.

Nothing not to like about this. Welcome back!

User Info Menu

Glad you are back, Joe. Your big Heritage sounds very full and rich indeed. I confess to not remembering the way it sounded before, but the newly constructed pickup has sweet overtones and compression. It seems to respond well to a light touch, which I also like on my own guitars. Being truly satisfied with an instrument is not something to take for granted! (And sometimes we have to invest a bit of time and $ to get there.) So congrats.

You should smile at the end of your performances.

User Info Menu

Joe, that sounds so wonderful ... really touching. That is what music is about. There are many ways to get there. Some get there with an army of pedals and loud amps ... and I confess that I like that too when it is done right ... but you get there with just a guitar and your hands and incredible taste.... thank you!

User Info Menu

Welcome back, Joe. Johnny Smith must surely be smiling for your continuation of his legacy and at how nice you make his guitar design sing. And ArchtopWorld.com is an absolute gem! Keep up the good work, and be happy!

User Info Menu

Hey Joe, playing is great as always. Love the tone of that guitar and it’s a beauty as well. Which KA pickup is that - the floating PAF/PAF-0? I was considering sending mine back to see if they can fix it since I stupidly broke mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Welcome back brother. I've always had great respect for your playing and it was nice to connect with you on a personal level as well. I'm not on here much anymore but when I do log in, it's so nice to check in on your work. Honestly, your solo playing has inspired me to want to spend a year working on that aspect of my playing.

That guitar is *HUGE* though. I once owned a 1948 super 400 and it was just too much for me but sound-wise, there's nothing like an 18" heritage or gibson!

Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Jack.
    I'm sure it wont take anywhere near a year for you to surpass what I've done.
    Yeah the 18" is a big-ass guitar. Like I've said here before, if I had to climb on it to play it, it would be worth it.
    JD

User Info Menu

Joe it's good to have you back man... And hearing the way the HJS sounds with the revamped pickup - that is the way the Angels at Heritage Drempt it to sound... Fine playing as always - the tone, tone, tone... Oh My !!!!

Love ya buddy... really glad I sold that guitar to you.

Big

User Info Menu

Two beautiful arrangements rendered by a master guitarist. Just perfect.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

And Joe got his Rose

Heritage Johnny Smith-3e42eb34-448e-4537-a820-d9d5e473c947-jpg

User Info Menu

The KA sounds magnificent. I do like it better than the Gibby JS pickup frankly. It is richer.

The Heritage Floating #3 is a good choice, too. It is thinner in tonal spectrum and "airy" but articulate.

I'm still playing around with a custom single coil on my Heritage JS. That's a joy, too

All of them sound mighty fine. And going acoustic with round wounds is a treat as well.

There's just not enough time!

User Info Menu

Joe,
    I got June to listen with me to “When
    I fall in Love”. A faultless performance
    she smiled all through the song. You
    have excelled yourself , absolutely
    beautiful rendition , The HJS sounds
    as clear as a bell
    congratulations our dear friend

June and Alan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    The KA sounds magnificent. I do like it better than the Gibby JS pickup frankly. It is richer.
    The Heritage Floating #3 is a good choice, too. It is thinner in tonal spectrum and "airy" but articulate.
    I'm still playing around with a custom single coil on my Heritage JS. That's a joy, too
    All of them sound mighty fine. And going acoustic with round wounds is a treat as well.
    There's just not enough time!
    MG, I listened to When I fall in Love, which I also recorded on the Gibson Johnny Smith. Here is my take. I love playing the HJS18 more for some reason. But to my ears, the Gibson sounds better. I like the separation a little better. I am going to play my GJS for the next couple of weeks to see if my feelings are still the same.
    I am glad you kept your HJS. They are really special guitars. eSPECIALy with the Rose on the PickGuard..
    Thanks MG.
    And thanks again for rescuing this guitar from potentially ending up in the wrong hands. I am so glad I got it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe,
    I got June to listen with me to “When
    I fall in Love”. A faultless performance
    she smiled all through the song. You
    have excelled yourself , absolutely
    beautiful rendition , The HJS sounds
    as clear as a bell
    congratulations our dear friend

June and Alan
    FoxMan, It is so heartwarming that you have June listen to my stuff. I hope you noticed that thing I put in at the end. Its an un-Johnny-Like run that came to me when I watched the video of Natalie performing the song virtually with Nat. No matter how many times I watch that video, I fight back the tears. My throat tightens up like it did when I watched E.T. when I was younger. Natalie was amazing in that video. Another one who left us too soon.
    Thank you again my man. Give June a hug for me.

User Info Menu

Joe
    I don't know where one goes in the quest for tone after listening to your clips. If someone is looking for the ultimate sweetness and clarity of a floater on a big carved archtop, you have, I think, reached the highest point possible this side of the pearly gates.

I'd hate to be one of your other guitars, just hanging on the wall feeling all lonesome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Joe
    I don't know where one goes in the quest for tone after listening to your clips. If someone is looking for the ultimate sweetness and clarity of a floater on a big carved archtop, you have, I think, reached the highest point possible this side of the pearly gates.

I'd hate to be one of your other guitars, just hanging on the wall feeling all lonesome!
    Thanks Lawson.
    But you know, the tone being achieved on the "other Side" of the Pearly Gates is heavenly..
    St Peter is working the gates, saying "Wait, Wait, Wait I cant here you, can you say that again?"

You are right, my other guitars are definitely not right lately. Especially the GJS. I actually think the EVO Gold frets are looking a little dull. They don't sparkle anymore.

JD

Glad you are back, like you I am a 'HUGE' Heritage fan and a 'HUGE' fan of Heritage (pun intended). An 18'" heritage sure fits the bill. I find your playing inspring and your tips invaluable. Glad you came back. I will have to check out your website.

Kent is a master when it comes to rebuilding floating pickups. I couldn't believe the difference in sound for less than $150 bucks. Next guitar I get with a floater will get the 'Kent' treatment. take care

User Info Menu

The JGF is brighter and more vibrant with your return Joe. And thank you for all the work that you’ve put into your website. I know how much time that takes. I enjoyed exploring it and hope it continues to inspire others. Thank you for sharing your infectious love of jazz and the instruments of joy we all appreciate, compare, discuss and pursue. A nice series of interesting stops along life’s journey.

I thought you were classy before, but the way you and JZ reconciled is a good example of the humility and decency our troubled world needs more of. You point to JS and JP as your inspiration. Well, watching/hearing you communicate from the heart through your four on six digital interface is one of the things that inspires me. Welcome back!

Roli

User Info Menu

Hey Joe
    That Zoom G5n... if you use the auxiliary input to play with a backing track, does the signal out to the computer or other digital recorder carry the mix or just the guitar? So many of these units don't send the whole mix out the digital output, just the guitar.

User Info Menu

Hi Joe,

Nice playing and really nice tone! It all starts with the heart and the fingers... clearly, you've worked hard to learn to translate a heartfelt love of jazz into the ability to think like a jazz player. And we all know that the ability to execute those heartfelt ideas as beautifully as you do requires even more hard work! Thanks for sharing these clips.

Thanks also for sharing all the details about your gear on archtopworld.com. Reading the detailed exposé of your signal chain on the site leaves me with a couple questions about the nice sound in the two clips you posted to this thread.
    • I notice you are not wearing phones, so did you send output to an amp (your Twin? year?), or did you just play acoustically and let the signal chain capture whatever came out?
    • Is all the signal processing coming from the Zoom box? I hear a very subtle doubling (short delay) along with chorusing and reverb. It's a great sound. Again, everything starts with your heart and your fingers -- and I'll add that the KA pickup sounds great -- so I'm just wondering about the last couple details there... as a single-cord-into-a-nice-tube-amp kinda guy, this intrigues me :-)

Thanks again for sharing the music and the deets of your rig!

SJ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Hi Joe,

Nice playing and really nice tone! It all starts with the heart and the fingers... clearly, you've worked hard to learn to translate a heartfelt love of jazz into the ability to think like a jazz player. And we all know that the ability to execute those heartfelt ideas as beautifully as you do requires even more hard work! Thanks for sharing these clips.

Thanks also for sharing all the details about your gear on archtopworld.com. Reading the detailed exposé of your signal chain on the site leaves me with a couple questions about the nice sound in the two clips you posted to this thread.
    • I notice you are not wearing phones, so did you send output to an amp (your Twin? year?), or did you just play acoustically and let the signal chain capture whatever came out?
    • Is all the signal processing coming from the Zoom box? I hear a very subtle doubling (short delay) along with chorusing and reverb. It's a great sound. Again, everything starts with your heart and your fingers -- and I'll add that the KA pickup sounds great -- so I'm just wondering about the last couple details there... as a single-cord-into-a-nice-tube-amp kinda guy, this intrigues me :-)

Thanks again for sharing the music and the deets of your rig!

SJ
    thank you Starjasmine.
    Im sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. Sometimes i do record with headphones.
    Since i practice exclusively with open back headphones I know what the guitar sounds like so I don’t need to hear it through a monitor (headphones) all the time.
    Yes all the processing is coming from the Zoom G5n. It’s the guitar into a patch that is simply Fender Twin amp simulation into the HD Reverb. I think the HD Reverb might use a delay, but no chorus (please no, God forbid).. The chorusing might be the guitar itself. The large body tends to allow sound to swirl a bit.
    I hope that helps.
    Thanks again for the heart and fingers reference. I am glad that shows through during the performance. I get nervous when I record and I sometimes lose the feel when it gets mixed in with the jitters. I appreciate the nice things you said.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

And Joe... it blows my mind you can do this with a pick. I used to play solo guitar exclusively finger-style, but realized my line playing was losing its bite, so about 3 years ago I went to almost exclusively playing with the pick, and now even for solo guitar I am a little more comfortable with the pick.

DO you also do the Joe Pass stuff with the walking basses and all that with a pick? I should find your clips and check for myself, but I'd be interested in your musings on the differences of technique playing Johnny Smith and Joe Pass tunes. Two epic guitarists, but also with two rather different takes on how to do solo guitar.

And you nail them both! If you weren't such a nice guy, I'd resent you! (KIDDING)