The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

I am considering another guitar purchase. The only solid body I have is a G&L Tribute Fallout. That guitar has not worked out for me as I find it too neck heavy.

Right now I am thinking a guitar with the strap peg located on a longer horn would work a little better. I am thinking perhaps a Stratocaster like guitar might work better. The simplicity of a Telecaster has appeal but I have seen comments indicating they tend to want to drift to the horizontal.

Anyone have any thoughts on Fender vs G&L Tribute?
    After a quick comparison, I am thinking these two guitars are similar. Both have 12" radius.

Fender Classic Player '60s Stratocaster(R), Pau Ferro Fingerboard, 3-Color Sunburst

Legacy(R) | G&L Musical Instruments

I am a little reluctant to buy another Tribute. My luthier told me it has more relief on the treble side than the bass.

Weight of a Strat is a little bit of a concern.

Feeling a little bit scatter brained here. I don't have a semi hollow. Maybe I would be better off with an Eastman 25" scale, 16" semi hollow. Thinking it would more approximate the size and shape of the thinner 16" archtops that I am used to.

I have also become comfortable with my MK Rick Turner N6 semi hollow nylon guitar. Although there is a piezo steel string guitar with that shape they do not do a conventional electric guitar like that.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

At first I thought you were looking for a guitar to play out in the very cold weather. Not uncommon where I live.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    At first I thought you were looking for a guitar to play out in the very cold weather. Not uncommon where I live.
    45 Celsius on the other hand is very hot :-)
    (That was my first thought...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    I am considering another guitar purchase. The only solid body I have is a G&L Tribute Fallout. That guitar has not worked out for me as I find it too neck heavy.

Right now I am thinking a guitar with the strap peg located on a longer horn would work a little better. I am thinking perhaps a Stratocaster like guitar might work better. The simplicity of a Telecaster has appeal but I have seen comments indicating they tend to want to drift to the horizontal.

Anyone have any thoughts on Fender vs G&L Tribute?
    After a quick comparison, I am thinking these two guitars are similar. Both have 12" radius.

Fender Classic Player '60s Stratocaster(R), Pau Ferro Fingerboard, 3-Color Sunburst

Legacy(R) | G&L Musical Instruments

I am a little reluctant to buy another Tribute. My luthier told me it has more relief on the treble side than the bass.

Weight of a Strat is a little bit of a concern.

Feeling a little bit scatter brained here. I don't have a semi hollow. Maybe I would be better off with an Eastman 25" scale, 16" semi hollow. Thinking it would more approximate the size and shape of the thinner 16" archtops that I am used to.

I have also become comfortable with my MK Rick Turner N6 semi hollow nylon guitar. Although there is a piezo steel string guitar with that shape they do not do a conventional electric guitar like that.
    Strat-style guitars balance perfectly, IME. There are a zillion variants from Fender and other makers, so it's tough to make a recommendation without knowing what features your interested in, budget, etc. They typically weigh less than 335-style semis with full blocks, around 7.5 lbs vs around 8.5, both +/- a bit, depending on wood, hardware etc. I think the Eastman semis are lighter because they don't have full blocks, but they can be neck heavy from what people have said here. I have a Strat (Fender) and a semi (D'Angelico), and find them both to be very comfortable to play and well balanced, the Strat maybe a hair more so. The semi is noticeably heavier when you pick it up, but playing on a strap, I don't notice the difference. I play with the neck up (I never measured the angle), as opposed to horizontal, and both of my guitars fall pretty naturally into this position on a strap. Beyond that information, I all I can recommend is that you go play a bunch of guitars because it sounds like you're not sure what you're looking for.

John

User Info Menu

Aside for any qualitative differences between the G&L Tribute and the Fender:
    -I suspect that the resale value of the Mexican-made Strats is better than that of Indonesian-made (formerly Korean-made) G&L Tribute strats.
    -The Mexican Fender has an alder body and the G&L Tribute has a basswood body (except for the natural-finish ash version). I've always thought of basswood solidbodies as Chiclet guitars - hard outer coating, soft (and very dentable) on the inside.
    -The Fender is extremely tweakable - almost every part can be changed with a wide range of drop-in aftermarket replacements, if you want to make changes to it. Less so for the G&L.

User Info Menu

I moved the strap button on my Tele and Strat to one of the neck screws. The guitar sits much better that way for me and it stays at more of an angle. It could be mounted anywhere on the back.

User Info Menu

Soloway guitars have a perfect balance. I have a Moniker Rival electric that is very comfortable. They can be found used very reasonably priced.

Moniker Rival Series Electric Guitar - Seafoam | Reverb

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I moved the strap button on my Tele and Strat to one of the neck screws. The guitar sits much better that way for me and it stays at more of an angle. It could be mounted anywhere on the back.
    Hi, Thank you for the suggestion. For the Fallout guitar that did not help. What I think would work would be another strap button about 2" from the existing end pin/button, (towards the elbow) I think this would let the lower bout drop lower. I have kicked this around from with a few luthiers and none seemed to exited about trying that. The guitar does have the comfort taper and the guitar body starts getting a little thinner at that point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Hi, Thank you for the suggestion. For the Fallout guitar that did not help. What I think would work would be another strap button about 2" from the existing end pin/button, (towards the elbow) I think this would let the lower bout drop lower. I have kicked this around from with a few luthiers and none seemed to exited about trying that. The guitar does have the comfort taper and the guitar body starts getting a little thinner at that point.
    I tried that on a guitar I had that was head heavy. On its own it made only a small difference. However, that plus a sueded strap pretty much cured neck dive on that guitar.

JOhn

User Info Menu

A strap with a rough surface or "nap" on the underside can work wonders for most so-called "neck dive" issues. Or you can play seated all the time. A Strat shape will stay in an angled position more readily than a Tele shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat
    Soloway guitars have a perfect balance. I have a Moniker Rival electric that is very comfortable. They can be found used very reasonably priced.

Moniker Rival Series Electric Guitar - Seafoam | Reverb
    That Moniker Rival is interesting. JazzMaster shape?

User Info Menu

If you want a value for money strat and tele all-in-one then give a thought to the Ibanez Talman 303M... ?
    Sweetwater is discounting from 550$ to 399$ at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    If you want a value for money strat and tele all-in-one then give a thought to the Ibanez Talman 303M... ?
    Sweetwater is discounting from 550$ to 399$ at the moment.
    I was interested until I saw the 1.614" nut width.

User Info Menu

I agree with the OP. The shorter body length of my Tele makes it hang horizontally especially if you, like me, like a higher playing position. I guess if you prowl around the stage with the guitar around your knees like Jimmy Page it's less of an issue.

User Info Menu

Danielle,

Are you playing seated or standing? When seated, the Fender Jazzmaster and Jaguar (offset waist guitars) naturally tend to go to the 45-degree angle. See the picture of George Fullerton, co-developer of the Jazzmaster, below.
    Solid body for 45 degrees?-george-fullerton-jazzmaster-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Danielle,

Are you playing seated or standing? When seated, the Fender Jazzmaster and Jaguar (offset waist guitars) naturally tend to go to the 45-degree angle. See the picture of George Fullerton, co-developer of the Jazzmaster, below.
    Solid body for 45 degrees?-george-fullerton-jazzmaster-jpg

I usually play seated. I am right handed. When seated I usually play with the left leg crossed over the right leg, with the guitar sitting on the left leg. For me this tends to put the guitar in front of me with the horn mid chest. In that photo, I suspect George is using a foot stool.

That G&L Tribute Fallout has an offset shape but the body seems to be much smaller than jazzmaster. I tried to find one on line with a 12" fretboard radius. It's been years since I have played a guitar with a smaller radius and do not know if I could easily adjust to that.

User Info Menu

A Strat with an alder body, you're not going to find a guitar much lighter than that unless it's made of balsa.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D.G.
    A strap with a rough surface or "nap" on the underside can work wonders for most so-called "neck dive" issues. Or you can play seated all the time. A Strat shape will stay in an angled position more readily than a Tele shape.
    Padded suede straps work for me. Any guitar - any angle.

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Padded suede straps work for me. Any guitar - any angle.
    Perhaps the neck dive is extreme on my Fallout, if I rely on friction between the strap and my clothing, I can really feel the tug on the clothing by the strap.

After seeing suede straps mentioned previously I did order one. However, the one I received was only suede on the outside. The finish on the inside was the same as my smooth finished leather straps.

User Info Menu

I have an Italia leather strap that holds pretty well. The inside is unfinished, and holds neck-heavy guitars pretty well. They're pricey, but almost always on sale. I get offers all the time, and I can pass some on if anyone wants one. They're mostly BOGO or some half or or close. They're very well made.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I have an Italia leather strap that holds pretty well. The inside is unfinished, and holds neck-heavy guitars pretty well. They're pricey, but almost always on sale. I get offers all the time, and I can pass some on if anyone wants one. They're mostly BOGO or some half or or close. They're very well made.

I took a look at the Italia strap page, and it does look like the texture on the back of their straps may have a little more grip than the straps I have been using. Meanwhile, I took a low cost adjustable web style strap and stuck some of that rubber kitchen drawer material on the back of the strap using double sided tape. That should provide plenty of grip.

A BOGO offer on those Italia straps would certainly make the price a little more palatable.

User Info Menu

I have a couple of offers, for buy one get one free plus some more off, doesn't say exactly how much. I can forward it to you if you want, I have enough straps now.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I have a couple of offers, for buy one get one free plus some more off, doesn't say exactly how much. I can forward it to you if you want, I have enough straps now.
    I will hold off on making the purchase for the time being. I lined an adjustable strap with rubber shelf liner material that should provide plenty of grip. I will see how that works out.

User Info Menu

Would a carbon fiber electric work for you ?
    Here is something from NAMM 2018, I think it might be pricey.

User Info Menu

45 degrees, of what ? I still don't get the reference to 45 degrees