The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 121

User Info Menu

brand new, very entertaining, yet detailed gear talk with mike stern..with john bolinger at premier guitar

good stuff

cheers

ps- btw, the canadian tele player he mentions is of course ed bickert...and the gatton pickup guy was -joe barden

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Interesting that he says he uses a 10-38 set of strings and puts an 11 on top. He makes it sound like a 10-38 set is common (old Fender mediums?)....NOT. Curt Mangan makes a set - could that be what he uses?

Good rig rundown.

User Info Menu

Excellent, thank you !

User Info Menu

Great Mike...nice to see him.
    thanks for the link.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Looks like he's developed a way to work around his nerve damage in his arm.

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed that. But it had nothing to do with his gear. Or his playing. He just seems like a really cool cat and nice guy.

I've never been a fan of Stern's music. It's just a long string of notes for me. I saw him live with Eric Johnson a couple years ago, and I hate to say it but, I just found his playing insufferable. BUT.... it's not a criticism, you can't like everybody.

-but then, I've never been a fan of what was called "fusion" back then, either-

But as a PERSON, man I dig him! I could totally sit around and jam and talk with that guy! Just seems like a real honest, funny, personable guy.... enough that I want to see if there's ANYTHING he has done I might like (I haven't found it yet).

And that Miles impression! Hilarious!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Looks like he's developed a way to work around his nerve damage in his arm.

Yes.... and if that's not a lesson in "where there's a will, there's a way".....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Yes.... and if that's not a lesson in "where there's a will, there's a way".....
    Yeah, there was a thread with a video of him playing fairly soon post-injury. He couldn't hang on to the pick and his playing really suffered. Made me feel so bad just watching him struggle with it and thinking "wow, his career may be toast." But from the very opening sequence on this video it was clear he'd found a way- and so simple: some glue on the pick! He looks to have had to made some adjustment in technique with more emphasis on downstrokes but he sounded like Mike Stern again. He's right- where there's a will there's a way.

User Info Menu

Instead of using glue, can't they make him a custom pick to his liking, that he could attach to his index finger or thumb?

User Info Menu

But as a PERSON, man I dig him! I could totally sit around and jam and talk with that guy! Just seems like a real honest, funny, personable guy.... enough that I want to see if there's ANYTHING he has done I might like (I haven't found it yet).
    I met him a few years ago after one of his gigs. He was just hanging out at the merch table taking to people as we filed out. He was super cool and friendly. Definitely a guy you could hang with and talk about just about anything.

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed that. But it had nothing to do with his gear. Or his playing. He just seems like a really cool cat and nice guy.

I've never been a fan of Stern's music. It's just a long string of notes for me. I saw him live with Eric Johnson a couple years ago, and I hate to say it but, I just found his playing insufferable. BUT.... it's not a criticism, you can't like everybody.

-but then, I've never been a fan of what was called "fusion" back then, either-

And that Miles impression! Hilarious!

That's interesting, I've seen Mike live and it was KILLING. But I've never been one to put on his records.

But in person, man, curse out loud good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    That's interesting, I've seen Mike live and it was KILLING. But I've never been one to put on his records.

My favorite album of his is These Times. I think all the compositions are really good, but the ballads are outstanding. Playing-wise, he's better live, but aren't most jazzers?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Oh, there's no denying his talent. But still, we don't like everyone who is talented, there's more to it than that of course. Yngwie Malmsteen is talented, but I'm sure alot of people here don't "like" his playing either!

User Info Menu

Oh, there's no denying his talent. But still, we don't like everyone who is talented, there's more to it than that of course. Yngwie Malmsteen is talented, but I'm sure alot of people here don't "like" his playing either!
    Nobody is required to like or dislike any particular thing. My only beef applies when people equate "I don't like it" with "It's bad". I respect the hell out of metal players like Yngwie. That kind of playing is not easy at all. I have zero desire to listen to any of that stuff. By the same token, I'm not particularly into Wes. I know that's kind of a Heresy among guitarists. I don't think Wes is bad or anything, and I appreciate the huge influence he's had. That music just doesn't speak to me the way Mike's, or Metheney's, or Bernstein's does.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Nobody is required to like or dislike any particular thing. My only beef applies when people equate "I don't like it" with "It's bad". I respect the hell out of metal players like Yngwie. That kind of playing is not easy at all. I have zero desire to listen to any of that stuff. By the same token, I'm not particularly into Wes. I know that's kind of a Heresy among guitarists. I don't think Wes is bad or anything, and I appreciate the huge influence he's had. That music just doesn't speak to me the way Mike's, or Metheney's, or Bernstein's does.

Perfectly stated!

User Info Menu

You should have seen him in the late '80 with Bob Berg they were permanently on fire... and on other products too probably, as he covertly states in the video . Every tune lasted 20 minutes, all at devilish tempo. He mellowed with age.

These times, Between the Lines, Voices with Richard Bona are great. Trip is a great one too.

We still play Little Shoes with the band for years and can't get tired of it, great harmonies and feel, nice to solo over.

Those 4 cats are really having fun:

Hat tip to Lockwood who passed away recently, very sad!

User Info Menu

nice to see the didier lockwood appreciation!! rip

didier & faton

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nice to see the didier lockwood appreciation!! rip

didier & faton

cheers
    A great eclectic musician and terrific instrumentist I've been listenign to since I saw him with Grappelli somewhere around 1980, and with the DLG at the same time. An inspiration for my fusion 'carreer' the last 40 years. Miss him!

User Info Menu

Saw Mike last year in Edinburgh. Blew me away. I play nothing like him at all, (even if I wanted to!) but love what he does. There was a moment, though, in the concert where he switched off the chorus-thing he has, revealing pure hot guitar, and it was heaven! I wish he'd serve more of that.

User Info Menu

Saw him as a member of Blood Sweat & Tears in the mid-70s. He really rocked out on "Ride Captain Ride."

User Info Menu

I am a new member and don`t really post here BUT for the sake of humanity I hope I never hear Yngwie Malmsteen in the context of Mike Stern again.

Mike Stern has been a huge influence on me as a human being and a musician since I first heard him in the mid 80`s. And, while I don`t go for most of his recorded stuff, I truly believe his live shows in the 80s at the 55 in NYC are (on an OBJECTIVE level) representative of a pinnacle of guitar playing and musicianship that are true landmarks. Everyone I know who`ve witnessed those shows (or have heard some notable ones on cassette recordings etc..) have agreed with me. Him, Adam Nussbaum and Jeff Andrews set standards in live trio playing which I`ve rarely witnessed in my life.

Besides which, he`s a super nice guy! (unlike everything I`ve heard about Yngwie, but maybe he`s just been misrepresented). Mike Stern has the calm energy of someone who`s given himself to the music and has become the music IMO. By virtue of this he illuminates the humanity music can bring out in us.

I say this as someone who as a teenage guitarist wannabe met both these guys in the late 80s. Mike Stern was completely encouraging,selfless and just plain nice. Yngwie made some indecipherable remark about him and Bach (!). Then he fluffed his hair and puffed his chest (really, literally).

Peace!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave24309
    Interesting that he says he uses a 10-38 set of strings and puts an 11 on top. He makes it sound like a 10-38 set is common (old Fender mediums?)....NOT. Curt Mangan makes a set - could that be what he uses?

btw...for many years, fender had the classic 10-38 150TR set...& pure nickel!...a fave set/gauge of jimi hendrix

in todays world, almost just as easy to cobble together your own preferred gauge set, as find a uniquely gauged pre-packaged set

cheers

User Info Menu

Such an original player and composer. He was one of the guitarists that introduced me to modern jazz guitar. I spent a lot of time at some point practicing the triadic approaches thing he does, and the beautiful harmony in his compositions. I've also enjoyed his wife's Leni Stern music a lot.

He seems to have an affinity for boutique pedals eh?

User Info Menu

as per mikes string choice...10-38

took a look at juststrings...10-38 sets are still available!

ghs boomers, ken smith, curt magnon, and 2 different variations! each from s.i.t. and sfarzo

in addition thomastik makes a set...for acoustic fingerpickers

cheers

User Info Menu

All due respect to Stern (as I have already stated above), but I don't hear any jazz. I hear fusion. Which I guess is another discussion...