Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 554

User Info Menu

He's going to play solo Monk?!

If I could hear anything in the world it would be him playing solo Monk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just noticed Pasquale Grasso appears on yet another Chris Byars album "New York City Jazz" on the Steeplechase label. It was released this past January but recorded in December 2016. I have a wireless keyboard and can't copy/paste a link but it is easy to locate to get more details on the album. I like how PASQUALE GRASSO is listed amongst the list of musicians on the album in upper case letters while the others are not

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Wow! Not sure how anyone could listen to that and not be blown away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ovader
    I just noticed Pasquale Grasso appears on yet another Chris Byars album "New York City Jazz" on the Steeplechase label. It was released this past January but recorded in December 2016. I have a wireless keyboard and can't copy/paste a link but it is easy to locate to get more details on the album. I like how PASQUALE GRASSO is listed amongst the list of musicians on the album in upper case letters while the others are not
    Thanks for the heads-up on that. Listening now on Spotify. Sounds like the same performances that appear earlier in this thread, with the band sat in a circle.

Last edited by David B; 03-23-2018 at 10:29 AM.

User Info Menu

I have to admit I like that solo playing SO MUCH more than the Sextet. It begs the question (easy to answer for myself, I know. But you guys are my jazz buds and I trust your opinions), are there solo guitar recordings I should get and listen to?

User Info Menu

I'm blown away by it, from a technical standpoint...his mastery of the instrument and his concept are waaaay out there, like I'd say few come close, really.

From a musical standpoint, I get the same vibe as I do from Joe pass' virtuoso records. It's fine for a few minutes, but then my ears need a break.

Now that clip of him just playing at Trenier''s shop is lovely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I have to admit I like that solo playing SO MUCH more than the Sextet. It begs the question (easy to answer for myself, I know. But you guys are my jazz buds and I trust your opinions), are there solo guitar recordings I should get and listen to?
    Pasquale has a solo record out ‘Reflections of Me’, you can get it in from iTunes, Amazon etc. Must admit I have not got it because it sounds a bit ‘busy’ for my taste, also the guitar sound is a bit hard or at least there’s something about the sound that puts me off for some reason.

As it happens I’ve been searching out solo jazz guitar stuff recently (apart from the obvious Joe Pass or Martin Taylor stuff, already got some of those). Those I liked and purchased were:
    Mimi Fox - Perpetually Hip (2 CDs, one is solo), Standards
    Andy Brown - Soloist
    Peter Bernstein - Solo Guitar (live at Smalls)
    Howard Alden - My Shining Hour.

User Info Menu

The thing I like most about Pasquale is his harmony. Not just the beautiful movement, but the old school romantic flavor. Sometimes reminds me of the string intros on old Sinatra etc or wih strings albums. I’d like to see him chill out with the virtuoso type runs as well, though. I think he will. I’d like to see him go in the direction of the above video in the shop. Talk about romantic! It’s too bad about the recording quality on reflections. Really looking forward to the nww album

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    The thing I like most about Pasquale is his harmony. Not just the beautiful movement, but the old school romantic flavor. Sometimes reminds me of the string intros on old Sinatra etc or wih strings albums. I’d like to see him chill out with the virtuoso type runs as well, though. I think he will. I’d like to see him go in the direction of the above video in the shop. Talk about romantic! It’s too bad about the recording quality on reflections. Really looking forward to the nww album
    Yes I like his playing and sound on that video in the shop. If his solo CD had sounded more like that, I would probably have got it. There’s something unpleasant in the recording of that CD, almost sounds like two out-of-phase mics were used.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    It begs the question (easy to answer for myself, I know. But you guys are my jazz buds and I trust your opinions), are there solo guitar recordings I should get and listen to?
    Pasquale has the aforementioned 'Reflections of Me' and some additional streaming live tracks on his website.

Other solo guitar records I like:
    Peter Leitch - 'Self Portrait'
    Howard Alden - 'My Shining Hour'
    Johnny Smith - 'The Man with the Blue Guitar'
    Jonathan Kreisberg - 'One'
    Nelson Veras - 'Solo Session vol.1'

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Just discovered this on youtube:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I'm waiting for a response from Matt Pierson for an update about these recording sessions but if anybody here has any news please share.
    The first set, 'Standards, volume 1' is out on 28 June. Digital only. Pre-order links and info to come online this week.

User Info Menu

Pasquale has developed a unique style which incorporates pianistic phrasing.
    So glad to see him getting the recognition he deserves.

The Bryant Trenier “Pasquale Grasso Model “ was specifically designed and voiced for Pasquale’s style.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    The Bryant Trenier “Pasquale Grasso Model “ was specifically designed and voiced for Pasquale’s style.
    In the new OVER THE RAINBOW video I noticed he replaced the C.C. style pickup with a PAF styled HB on his Trenier model.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This is the only CD I have of Grasso's playing and curious if anyone knows if his guitar sound is better on the three Chris Byars albums and the MERCI TOOTS recording?
    Over two years later... I listened to Byars' Two Fives, The Music of Frank Strozier and New York City Jazz to state these are professionally recorded sessions so go ahead and indulge!

User Info Menu

By the way, the sound on Pasquale’s latest solo ‘digital EP’ albums (Solo Standards and Solo Ballads) is much, much better than on the ‘Reflections of Me’ solo CD.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    By the way, the sound on Pasquale’s latest solo ‘digital EP’ albums (Solo Standards and Solo Ballads) is much, much better than on the ‘Reflections of Me’ solo CD.
    Yes I have heard those EPs and knew that Grasso would be properly recorded when I first saw a post by Matt Pierson in February 2018 about the sessions.
    Last edited by Ovader; 09-28-2019 at 11:09 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Great stuff!