The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 63

User Info Menu

Our standard for Jan 2018 will be Take the A Train - by Billy Strayhorn (1941).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Take the "A" Train)

Contrafacts:
    Dextivity - Dexter Gordon (1947)
    Rhodomagnetics - Wilber Harden

Best wishes for the coming new year!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just noticed that David (TruthHertz) is also doing Take the A Train this week, in his song-a-week thread.

Commit to a song a week. What could a serious student hope to learn?
    Last edited by M-ster; 12-31-2017 at 05:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    I just noticed that David (TruthHertz) is also doing Take the A Train? this week, in his song-a-week thread.

Commit to a song a week. What could a serious student hope to learn?
    Yes, but I think our approaches are broad and this piece is lovely enough to warrant the study. I have a relaxed and rigorous tune a week approach that introduces optional suggestions for deeper study every week. This week with A Train, I'm also including a challenging Etude that we can use to highlight and assimilate a working bebop vocabulary into our linear constructions. It's my intention that that etude will be ongoing beyond this week as my Rhythm changes thread was.
    I love it that we're on the same wavelength here at the start of the year. Let's have fun M-ster!

David

User Info Menu

So is this thread about how to learn these tunes? If so I've found the following the easyist way.

1.) A section =8 bars
    2.)B section= 8 bars
    3.) AABA form =32 bar form
    4.)2 bar turnarounds = exit, or on ramps to A or B sections

*Melody and Bass line are the guides, Harmony is the interpretation in between those 2., Memorize the melody first by singing or humming it. then look how bass line goes> upwards or downwards direction

*Bridge sections always seem to go to the 4 chord, if not it moves usually in major or minor 3rds.

** Repeat over & over slowly until you are really familiar with Melody & Form!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    So is this thread about how to learn these tunes? If so I've found the following the easyist way.

1.) A section =8 bars
    2.)B section= 8 bars
    3.) AABA form =32 bar form
    4.)2 bar turnarounds = exit, or on ramps to A or B sections

*Melody and Bass line are the guides, Harmony is the interpretation in between those 2., Memorize the melody first by singing or humming it. then look how bass line goes> upwards or downwards direction

*Bridge sections always seem to go to the 4 chord, if not it moves usually in major or minor 3rds.

** Repeat over & over slowly until you are really familiar with Melody & Form!
    There are a lot of backing tracks on youtube.Try to sing and play with them.
    ...and the next try to play solos:

User Info Menu

Over in the Robert Conti group this tune came up and I went ahead and learned the head, with a backing track, and put his exercise solo with it. So this isn't my improvisation, but the head is my own playing and ideas, modest though they might be. The Conti solo also has some good moments, though it's obviously a beginners' level solo to illustrate how lines go with chords.

User Info Menu

Chewed through once. Not at all like it was meant to be played I guess.

train.mp3 - Google Drive

edit: oh, I read the above comments and get it now. Next month, if I can, I try to do something complete instead of a cut.
    Last edited by emanresu; 01-03-2018 at 10:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Chewed through once. Not at all like it was meant to be played I guess.

train.mp3 - Google Drive

edit: oh, I read the above comments and get it now. Next month, if I can, I try to do something complete instead of a cut.
    Going in good direction...nice!
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

I found spontanic jam version of Take A on youtube with me/guitar/...a little Scof feel...:-)...opps 2014...today I play different:

User Info Menu

modern take :

User Info Menu

Or this. I like this... I think it works.

User Info Menu

This song...ugh...played it to death in my gypsy jazz days...tried to do the most non gypsy take ever here...

User Info Menu

Great playing in this thread! I did a recording of TTAT last year, I posted it on the forum before, but fits in this thread, so for those of you who haven't seen it I'll post it again.

Very long Aebersold backing track; I ran out of ideas at some point :-) But it's a very nice tune to solo over.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    This song...ugh...played it to death in my gypsy jazz days...tried to do the most non gypsy take ever here...

I dig it! Superb tone and playing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Great playing in this thread! I did a recording of TTAT last year, I posted it on the forum before, but fits in this thread, so for those of you who haven't seen it I'll post it again.

Very long Aebersold backing track; I ran out of ideas at some point :-) But it's a very nice tune to solo over.

Very nice sounding Gib es-125 in your hands.
    You play long solo over backing track and all we know that is not so easy.Good job.
    All The Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Hi Jeff,
    Is this backing track from youtube?
    You play nice chords-voicings...a little out but it is ok!
    it is a reall Take A train...
    Nice Tele sound on your hands.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

But perfect timing :-)

User Info Menu

Thanks kris, ragman, jay, anybody I missed...

Yeah those chords got a little out there at the end...probably out of ideas for the moment

The backing track is iReal, but just bass. I practice like this at lot, not sure why is find it so rnjoyable, but i do.

User Info Menu

It is been a while since I posted here, too busy with with work, kids and ..music.
    But here is my take on the train.

Hans

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hatim
    It is been a while since I posted here, too busy with with work, kids and ..music.

Hans
    Beautifull classic jazz sound and nice playing.
    Jazzingly Yours
    Kris

User Info Menu

Here is a take on my beloved stratocaster.
    It is my favorite guitar, but I never dare to take it on a jazz gig/ session.
    I must admit that playing jazz on that old Gibson es-125 (a couple of post here above ) is easier to make it sound 'jazzy',
    it is just that I love this strat so much.
    And please, lets not go into "Sure you can play jazz on a strat" with all kinds of examples.
    It is just that I am intrigued by this guitar, its possibilities and its limitations.

Hans

User Info Menu

I like this version very much/great solo on bass!/:

User Info Menu

Great big band!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hatim

Hans
    Nice one Hans! Your 125 sounds remarkably like mine ;-) (duh!). I have seen your 125 advertised, I remember the missing pickup cover and classical tuners with black knobs. It was in Portugal, am I right?

User Info Menu

Little Jay wrote
    "Nice one Hans! Your 125 sounds remarkably like mine ;-) (duh!). I have seen your 125 advertised, I remember the missing pickup cover and classical tuners with black knobs. It was in Portugal, am I right?
    I bought this es-125 in Amsterdam in 2002 (Yes, I'm also Dutch). Never noticed the black tuners, so thanks. I like the guitar, but it is quit dark,'dof' like we say in dutch. There for switched the original pickup. I It's made in 1956.
    Hans