The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

Here is a little something that shows the 175 doing what it made to do.
    The guitar responds to anything you throw at it.

And I threw some stuff at it in this video.

I love this guitar.

Thanks Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Awesome! Tone you could eat with a spoon and dizzyingly dazzling runs - mesmerizing. Thanks, Joe!

ES-175s are something, eh?

User Info Menu

wicked!!

some very comfortable in the pocket playing...a tough tune, made lovely

kudos Joe D

cheers

User Info Menu

Too cool.

I have yet to climb the Giant Steps.

Can I ask what strings your 175 is wearing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Awesome! Tone you could eat with a spoon and dizzyingly dazzling runs - mesmerizing. Thanks, Joe!
    ES-175s are something, eh?
    the tone is the champ. I can’t think of an electric jazz guitar that make the ears feel better. Thank you C74.

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    wicked!!
    some very comfortable in the pocket playing...a tough tune, made lovely
    kudos Joe D
    cheers
    thank you Neatomic. You are right, it’s a tough tune. I think I’m gonna take a break for a while and play some Sleepy Johnny Smith stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    Too cool.
    I have yet to climb the Giant Steps.
    Can I ask what strings your 175 is wearing?
    thanks LongWays. All my babies wear the same TI Jazz Swing 12’s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Joe,
    Beautiful improvising !! I’ve never seen you so comfortable on a guitar. That body size and scale length is the perfect fit for you- no struggle at all. When your comfortable with a guitar - you can then let loose and play what’s in your head - and that’s exactly what I see in this video. I loved it bro .
    Thank you Stevie.
    I am comfortable with this guitar. Fits like a glove. A lot of the licks are Joe Pass.
    Ill be honest.. I can’t wait to play the HJS18 again. Variety is the spice of life.
    Thank you brother.
    JD

User Info Menu

Hey that sounds terrific!

Do you mind if I ask what your recording setup is?

User Info Menu

Sounds great! They're just so dang balanced! It seems like any amp I plug into sounds equally great. Standards just flow out of this thing.

So, we're heading to Nashville for a couple of days this week. I heard that Gruhn's has a few really nice vintage 175s in stock right now. I'm thinking about taking the new one with me and doing some A-B comparisons.

User Info Menu

Looked like you were enjoying yourself there, thats what its all about.
    Shut my eyes and i thought it was Joe Pass at the intro, those 75,s have their own sound. Well done.

User Info Menu

Wow! Who could ask for more? A beautiful guitar with a classic jazz tone; a challenging tune expertly played, and, most of all; watching a master artist bring it all together.

Thank you Joe. I'll come back to this video often.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Hi Guys,
    Forget all this crap about Pinned Bridges and Baking Soda Nut Repairs.

I love this guitar.

Thanks Joe D

Joe, mon ami, breathtakingly cool , performed with aplomb
    and great confidence , you made Giant Steps look and sound
    easy , which it is certainly not. Great playing, you just
    keep improving each time we hear you.
    Best , SF

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jobabrinks
    Hey that sounds terrific!
    Do you mind if I ask what your recording setup is?
    Thanks!
    The recording setup is very simple. Guitar into a Zoom G3. I setup a patch with an EQ, that I set in the middle across the board and I only use the level just to bump up the volume from the guitar. No amp simulation. I used Stereo Reverb. USB out into a USB in on a Windows Surface Pro 3. I set the record level to 73 in control panel. I use YouCam6 for image capture and click on the record with audio and set the Zoom as the source. Just click on record and go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah..take the easy way out!! johnny smith!!...hahaha
    cheers
    Johnny came to me in my sleep last night and said, "oh yeah you son of a bitch. Why don't you try playing something of mine that was difficult, like Wally's Waltz.. Instead of complaining about my scretch chords.." So I said, "you got it Johnny. Wally's Waltz, coming right up.."

Quote Originally Posted by SkipBurz
    Sounds great! They're just so dang balanced! It seems like any amp I plug into sounds equally great. Standards just flow out of this thing.

So, we're heading to Nashville for a couple of days this week. I heard that Gruhn's has a few really nice vintage 175s in stock right now. I'm thinking about taking the new one with me and doing some A-B comparisons.
    Thanks Skip.
    You can actually do that? I wouldn't even think of doing something like that. I'd fully expect to get chased out of the store after a stunt like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjazz
    Looked like you were enjoying yourself there, thats what its all about.
    Shut my eyes and i thought it was Joe Pass at the intro, those 75,s have their own sound. Well done.
    Oh yeah, I love this stuff. Thank for the nice comment about sounding like Joe, but in reality, I couldn't carry his gymbag for him. He is a legend. Lets keep his music alive.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Excellent - great playing and great tone!
    Thank you TOMMO!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    Wow! Who could ask for more? A beautiful guitar with a classic jazz tone; a challenging tune expertly played, and, most of all; watching a master artist bring it all together.
    Thank you Joe. I'll come back to this video often.
    Tony D.
    Tony, Thank you buddy. I was worried about the tone because I recorded it on a surface pro and when I played it back, it sounded like a dobro. But when I put the headphones in, I realized.. You cant possibly screw up the recording of a 175.
    Thank you Tony. You are classy guy. A credit to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe, mon ami, breathtakingly cool , performed with aplomb and great confidence , you made Giant Steps look and sound easy , which it is certainly not. Great playing, you just keep improving each time we hear you.
    Best , SF
    Foxman,
    Thank you so much. Although, Bricks WERE forming in my lower intestines. But the guitar gives me great confidence. I honestly feel like sometimes it plays itself. Its almost like you are cheating.. The 175 has more horsepower than the rest of the competitors.
    This one is an INCREDIBLE guitar.
    Thank you Alan. Another one of our classy members. And like Tony, a credit to the forum.

Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Hi Guys,
    Forget all this crap about Pinned Bridges and Baking Soda Nut Repairs.

I love this guitar.

Thanks Joe D
    Whoa! That's seriously wonderful. I know it's almost heresy, but I like your tone better than Joe Pass' from Virtuoso II. The sound on that album is so "dry" I find it a little hard to listen to, but your tone is warmer and yet still up to capture the precision of the lines.

Well done. You threw a lot at the guitar, and it played a good game of catch with you! Loving mine too, which is the mate to yours. Mine asked me why I don't play like you do... didn't have much of an answer for it!

User Info Menu

Joe, that was awful...as in full of awe Keep it up, friend!

User Info Menu

Nice playing Joe. Once you take the tempo down a few notches from the original, Giant Steps becomes a very fertile tune.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Whoa! That's seriously wonderful. I know it's almost heresy, but I like your tone better than Joe Pass' from Virtuoso II. The sound on that album is so "dry" I find it a little hard to listen to, but your tone is warmer and yet still up to capture the precision of the lines.

Well done. You threw a lot at the guitar, and it played a good game of catch with you! Loving mine too, which is the mate to yours. Mine asked me why I don't play like you do... didn't have much of an answer for it!
    Lawson you are far too kind.
    I love playing for you guys. And on a guitar like this, its actually easy. Its important to have confidence in a Guitar. This one is up for everything. After I hung it back up after recording this, I thought I heard it ask me if Eddie Van Halen was around to give it a try..

You play great Lawson. Do underestimate your talent.

JD

User Info Menu

Nice. thanks for sharing Joe. The guitar sounds great and so do you. I want to play but cant because my left shoulder went on holiday a couple days ago, so, its nice to see someone playing one of my favorite guitars. its about all i can do is look. nothing serious, unless you think not playing for a week when you really want to is a problem. So, i'll look and listen. a week, i think. keep it up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Joe, that was awful...as in full of awe Keep it up, friend!
    Hey Robster!
    Its funny I use that line all the time at the restaurants I go to frequently. The server will come over and ask, how was everything? I usually say, awful, just awful..

Thanks buddy. Joe D

User Info Menu

Joe! What the heck man, hiding this side of you?

Never heard you cut loose like this...don't let it be the last time! Sounds great.

User Info Menu

Very spunky playing but the deal was supposed to be “Little Girl Blue” drop D.

User Info Menu

so much for not being a jazz player
    proud of ya big guy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Nice. thanks for sharing Joe. The guitar sounds great and so do you. I want to play but cant because my left shoulder went on holiday a couple days ago, so, its nice to see someone playing one of my favorite guitars. its about all i can do is look. nothing serious, unless you think not playing for a week when you really want to is a problem. So, i'll look and listen. a week, i think. keep it up!
    Aw man, that sucks. Get well soon. You certainly have enough incentive that's for sure!
    Thanks, JD

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Nice playing Joe. Once you take the tempo down a few notches from the original, Giant Steps becomes a very fertile tune.
    John
    I cant listen to the original Coltrane version for more than a minute.
    The original Sheets of Sound... My God.. Another enormous talent taken from us WAAAYYY too soon. John Coltrane was only 40 years old when he passed away.
    And "you know they got a hellava band" up there in heaven.

Thanks, Joe D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Joe! What the heck man, hiding this side of you?
    Never heard you cut loose like this...don't let it be the last time! Sounds great.
    Yes! the man has a pulse after all..
    Thank you Jeff. I appreciate it bro.