The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 79

User Info Menu

I took a little while to spend some time with the guitar before posting this. I also wanted to get some decent pictures as well as record something with it.

The bottom line: In my opinion, this is the finest ES-175 I've ever played. I know I have my biases. I've listened to this guitar for years in recordings, both with the original P90 and with the humbucker. I love that Herb had it refretted with jumbo frets, as that would have been my choice as well. It just plays effortlessly and she sure can sing.

I honestly still have a hard time believing that this guitar is in my home and that I can pick it up and play it any time I want.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

And here are some detailed pics of the humbucker that replaced the P90.

User Info Menu

And the legend himself.

User Info Menu

Wow! That is Sweeeeeet! Thanks for sharing, and congrats on the new guitar. Very special. Sounds awesome!

User Info Menu

Sounds great! I saw Herb in Tacoma WA about 25 years ago and he had a guitar like the one in your photos!

User Info Menu

A perfect example of an instrument that has been played much and very well. You are indeed fortunate to be the caretaker of this guitar. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Lots of wonderful music in that thing man. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Congrats. I knew Herb. It was a sad day when his wife called to tell me of his passing. That is a special guitar indeed. Just as Herb was a special jazz guitarist. May it inspire your playing for years to come.

User Info Menu

Wow! It is in remarkable shape. Can't imagine the feeling.

User Info Menu

TRM,
    That’s Pretty freaking cool.
    you must be on cloud nine. I know how I’d be feeling if Johnny Smith’s or Joe Passes guitar fell into my hands.
    An original guitar owned and played by the Legendary Herb Ellis, is a museum piece. You are a lucky man.
    Consider doing an album with the guitar. You hold the future of Herbs flawless legacy in your hands every time you play that guitar. No pressure but make the best of it. Talk about being a curator. My God.

By the way, I couldn’t listen to the clip on my iPad. I am sure it is fantastic though.

Joe D

User Info Menu

TRM,
    I am so happy that this worked out so well for you. What an acquisition and a magic voice from this guitar. Karma put it into your hands because two individuals (your wife and you) would love on it instead of just ES-175/glutton/me, but then karma took care of me, too. So glad we both found museum-worthy pieces. I am glad these iconic guitars are not in museums because their original players would probably want them in another musician's hands.
    Play it in good health and keep this national treasure safe.

User Info Menu

The Guitar sounds amazing! Congrats!

User Info Menu

Wow! What a piece of history in your home - amazing! Something no „relic treatment“ could ever achieve. Take good care of it and enjoy it for a long time to come!

User Info Menu

Congratulations! You must be a happy jazz cat!

User Info Menu

A piece of jazz history! I am convinced it’s in good hands now.

Interesting adjustment to the polepieces of that pickup. I just installed a patent number humbucker in my cheap Ibanez experimental project, they sound great! (Although mine is a ‘stamped patent number humbucker’ of somewhat later date.

Enjoy that beautiful instrument!

User Info Menu

Did it come with the original truss rod cover? Man, if that's not in the case it's a deal breaker for me...

Long may you play it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

That is a special guitar. Wow. I would not be worthy, but glad it found a good home.

Re' the truss rod cover, it would have been removed to be able to install the Van Epps damper. Curious if you find it useful, or if it gets in the way?

User Info Menu

Congrats on owning the first and possibly only Gibson ES-165 prototype! With original chrome hardware, unlike the production versions.

User Info Menu

An amazing story and what a SCORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing all of this with us. More quality posts like this make hanging around here worthwhile.

Big

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    A perfect example of an instrument that has been played much and very well. You are indeed fortunate to be the caretaker of this guitar. Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    It’s a real honor to get to care for this guitar into the future. I’m fortunate to have several outstanding archtops, but one with such historical and personal importance makes it my most treasured of all.

Last edited by ThatRhythmMan; 11-27-2017 at 09:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Wow! It is in remarkable shape. Can't imagine the feeling.
    There is no doubt about how much Herb must have babied this guitar. I know in later years he would talk about how it was so old, but age hasn’t hurt her at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    TRM,
    That’s Pretty freaking cool.
    you must be on cloud nine. I know how I’d be feeling if Johnny Smith’s or Joe Passes guitar fell into my hands.
    An original guitar owned and played by the Legendary Herb Ellis, is a museum piece. You are a lucky man.
    Consider doing an album with the guitar. You hold the future of Herbs flawless legacy in your hands every time you play that guitar. No pressure but make the best of it. Talk about being a curator. My God.

By the way, I couldn’t listen to the clip on my iPad. I am sure it is fantastic though.

Joe D
    For me, this is right up there with Barney Kessel’s ES-350. I grew up only about 20 miles from where Barney grew up, although he had long been working in LA when I was a kid. Herb, Barney, and Charlie Christian are at the top of my list and we all happen to be from the same region. I never imagined that I would get to be the steward of one of their iconic instruments. I’ve been floating on air, you got the cloud part right, Joe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    TRM,
    I am so happy that this worked out so well for you. What an acquisition and a magic voice from this guitar. Karma put it into your hands because two individuals (your wife and you) would love on it instead of just ES-175/glutton/me, but then karma took care of me, too. So glad we both found museum-worthy pieces. I am glad these iconic guitars are not in museums because their original players would probably want them in another musician's hands.
    Play it in good health and keep this national treasure safe.
    I couldn’t agree with you more. They may be museum pieces, but I think both of these guys would agree that these instruments need to sing.

My wife has been at least as ecstatic as I have. She very seriously wants us to record with it. I just got some kinks in our recording hardware worked out. We hope to soon be getting some things up on YouTube.