The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 81

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,
    I've had enough time to make a valid assessment of this guitar. I've put a lot of time into trying to get it to work for me. Did it work? Well, kind of.
    1st off, you might not believe it, but I love this guitar. It sounds like nothing else I've ever played. Its big, bold, bright and beautiful sounding. Its got the Rose on the pickguard, which is something I always wanted. But like 2b said one time, when you have it, you probably wont even look at it that much. He was right.
    This guitar is all about sound. I've come to appreciate its sound a lot. When combined with my brain, hands and heart - this guitar seems to always be a fraction of a note behind. These big deep boxes take a little while respond. A millisecond. I was hoping it would be a Panamera. Its turned out to be Buick Roadmaster. And I am not exactly Eddie VanHalen. So guess what? I love the guitar. Not all guitars worth having should be exactly like the other guitars you already have.
    I've learned some things about guitar design with this guitar. 1st off, you cant defy physics. Huge Guitars + not such big guys = a bit of a mismatch. Its difficult to get in the right position to command this thing. The recipe for the Johnny Smith was perfect the way it was. 17" and 3-1/8 deep. Perfection for the masses. This guitar was custom made for tall and lanky fellow with an incredible amount of experience with some of the finest instruments ever made, Don Dean. And after all 200+ of his guitar collection had been passed on, he kept this guitar till the end. That says more than I can put into words.

One last thing, I would be terribly remiss if for one last time, I didn't thank the people who made this guitar possible. MartyGrass found it. He brought it back to life by giving it to Pete for a couple of days. Then, MG blessedly moved it on to our Big Mike Hale, the Hugh Hefner of guitars.. No one knows how Mike made it "vinny-like" possible for a schlub like me to have this guitar, except for Mikey. Mike, you are one of the nicest people I've ever met. And absolute gentleman in EVERY sense of the word. I am blessed to be able to call you "friend".

Before I put her away for a while, On Oct 30 at 2am in the morning, I recorded one last very appropriate song for the season. Kenny Burrell's Autumn in New York. I hope you like it.

Thanks Everyone.
    Joe DeNisco

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Your playing is beautiful Joe and the guitar sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing and for giving us such a nice and touching description of the instrument!

User Info Menu

Joe,

Thanks for the clip. Great tune, great arrangement, great guitar.

User Info Menu

Really has the super 400 sound. Very nice!

User Info Menu

It/you sound just amazing.

User Info Menu

Thanks as always Joe !

User Info Menu

If I've learned anything in my life you don't always bond immediately with the really great guitars. In your case that 18 inches is part of the issue, but it's such a well built and hand tuned guitar that if you apply yourself and give it time you will be rewarded. Try sitting in an upright chair wear a strap, that's what worked for me with that beauty...

Big

Great playing Joe, hope you don't mind me reposting your clip on Facebook today...

User Info Menu

Congratulations Joe,
    a beautiful rendition of “Autumn in New
    York” which KB had made his own.
    The HJS sounds really good, but as Larry
    Carlton said “ it’s all in the fingers.”

Alan
    Last edited by silverfoxx; 11-02-2017 at 12:06 PM.

User Info Menu

One of my all time favorite songs played gorgeously. Bravo bro !

User Info Menu

Joe D, it is you who made and make it great. The 18" HJS is lucky to have you.

User Info Menu

so nice ...it made me homesick for old nyc! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

I got a 1920s L-5 as a kid by shear luck. I moved from a ES-345 to this monster. The L-5 was not easy to hold, let alone play. But it was now my only guitar.

It didn't take long before I didn't notice its size. I did get used to its largeness, but importantly it may have been because I had to since it was my only guitar. Thankfully it soon was just plain normal in its feel.

The point is, sometimes life is easier when there are no comparisons or choices.

The 18" HJS is a fine, fine instrument. If it were more compact, it just wouldn't sound the same.

Joe, I think you are doing an excellent job tackling this guitar. I'd like to hear your thoughts in another year. By then, maybe your other guitars will feel too small and like toys.

Here are some pics of smaller guitarists who mastered guitars big for their physiques. Maybe they will inspire.

Heritage 18" Johnny Smith - a couple of months later..-gtrchgwld-jpgHeritage 18" Johnny Smith - a couple of months later..-rosannecash_0-jpgHeritage 18" Johnny Smith - a couple of months later..-maxresdefault-jpg

User Info Menu

This little guy seemed to adjust pretty well to his big Gibson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    Your playing is beautiful Joe and the guitar sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing and for giving us such a nice and touching description of the instrument!
    Frank, Thanks Buddy. It was my pleasure totally. JD
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Joe,
    Thanks for the clip. Great tune, great arrangement, great guitar.
    GT, Thanks buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Really has the super 400 sound. Very nice!
    The sound of this guitar can only be appreciated once I play the other guitars. They pale by comparison. I cant imagine what it would sound like if I put 14's on it and played like Freddie Green. The guitar can certainly pull it off!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    It/you sound just amazing.
    Aww, Thanks RhythmMan. I cant wait to see a writeup on the "new" 175!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Thanks as always Joe !
    Dennis, Thank YOU buddy. Its always my pleasure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    If I've learned anything in my life you don't always bond immediately with the really great guitars. In your case that 18 inches is part of the issue, but it's such a well built and hand tuned guitar that if you apply yourself and give it time you will be rewarded. Try sitting in an upright chair wear a strap, that's what worked for me with that beauty...

Big

Great playing Joe, hope you don't mind me reposting your clip on Facebook today...
    Mikey, Thanks and Thank you for posting that clip. I am not on Facebook as you know, so just make sure somebody doesn't smear my name.. L,J

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Congratulations Joe,
    a beautiful rendition of “Autumn in New York” which KB had made his own.
    The HJS sounds really good, but as Larry Carlton said “ it’s all in the fingers.”
    Alan
    SF, alias Alan, alias 007..
    We are lucky enough to play the most beautiful music ever written. I know about the fingers.. Sometimes I wish I had fingers instead of these sausages hanging off my hand..
    L,J
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    One of my all time favorite songs played gorgeously. Bravo bro !
    Vin, Its a beautiful melody. I will check out Tal's version. Thanks bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Joe D, it is you who made and make it great. The 18" HJS is lucky to have you.
    Jabbs, My man.. Thank you very much. I've missed you dude. JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    so nice ...it made me homesick for old nyc! hah
    cheers
    Thanks Neatomic. NYC is a nice place this time of the year. Regardless of who is trying to ruin it! Thanks buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I got a 1920s L-5 as a kid by shear luck. I moved from a ES-345 to this monster. The L-5 was not easy to hold, let alone play. But it was now my only guitar.
    It didn't take long before I didn't notice its size. I did get used to its largeness, but importantly it may have been because I had to since it was my only guitar. Thankfully it soon was just plain normal in its feel.
    The point is, sometimes life is easier when there are no comparisons or choices.
    The 18" HJS is a fine, fine instrument. If it were more compact, it just wouldn't sound the same.
    Joe, I think you are doing an excellent job tackling this guitar. I'd like to hear your thoughts in another year. By then, maybe your other guitars will feel too small and like toys.
    Thanks Grass. You have a knack for finding great stuff. I will keep at it. For sure. I am OK with the size. The response is hard to get use to. Also, good move on getting the pickup changed on yours. I hope the newer ones are shielded better. This pickup picks up way too much EFI and RFI. Its very frustrating. The BJB, JS and the 57's are dead quiet in the same environment. You will notice the difference on yours when you get it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Yeah and even he had Gibson make him a slimmer body depth.. Jeeze, Dean wasn't that tall? George must have been a little dude!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    He looked even smaller behind his Super 400

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ

Big

I like the strap option on big guitars myself ... puts the guitar in what I call the "classical" position which helps with access and playability ... IMHO of course

User Info Menu

Kenney Burrell was uncomfortable playing anything but his Super 400. He mentioned in an interview that was the reason he disliked the special deeper cutaway L5 Gibson made for him--the L5 body was too small, and it was more comfortable having his arm around his Super 400.

User Info Menu

Your an excellent musician and a true gentleman, both rare qualities.

Salute Paisano, per cent'anni.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

I am in a different camp. If I do not bond immediately I most likely never will. I do not like small guitars. The smallest I can play is a 16 inch. Neck profile is super important to me. If it doesn't feel right from jump street it is gone.

I bought a great Unity from Patrick. It was beyond a true guitar masterpiece. I disliked the neck profile and had to punt even though it sounded and looked like a slice from heaven above.

User Info Menu

Man this non cut Super 400 is as red as my Red is !!! WOW what a beauty...

User Info Menu

Very nice playing as usually Joe - but honestly - I don't see that big smile (yet). Perhaps the bonding with this instrument will take a little longer......sometimes it just does.

In any case, I'm sure the grounding buzz isn't helping any - which I'm sure is quite distracting and frustrating.

I agree with Vinny though - a guitar either moves you creatively or it don't ....no need to settle , life is too short.

Perhaps when the grounding issue is resolved you'll be in better spirits to really assess things.

Just giving you my honest opinion.

User Info Menu

This is going to sound counter-intuitive. If you don't bond with a guitar, it could be because (a) it just isn't for you and never will be or... (b) you are dating a lady who, for the moment, is way above your level in some way. She'll love you, but you're maybe going to have to earn it. But it will be worth it.

Some guitars make how you play sound even better. Other guitars force you to play better to rise up to their level.

Maybe I'm crazy, too...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Very nice playing as usually Joe - but honestly - I don't see that big smile (yet). Perhaps the bonding with this instrument will take a little longer......sometimes it just does.

In any case, I'm sure the grounding buzz isn't helping any - which I'm sure is quite distracting and frustrating.

I agree with Vinny though - a guitar either moves you creatively or it don't ....no need to settle , life is too short.

Perhaps when the grounding issue is resolved you'll be in better spirits to really assess things.

Just giving you my honest opinion.
    hey qaman, i getcha...but

joe D is a big heart guy..he takes in strays...nice guitars...& he polishes them and he tweaks them...or he has them tweaked (by old masters) and then he passes them along again...all the better for having been well played upon and well taken care of

my honest opinion too!! haha...i like that!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 11-02-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: typo-