The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

Is there anyone better than adam rogers these days? Listen to the precision that he plays with. Not just his solos but his rhythm playing. Such pocket!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is just excellent.

then there's this ridiculous example with Peter Farrell and Adam Rogers

Time to hit the woodshed!!!!

User Info Menu

My new mantra is "find the clave in everything." The pulse within the beat...or something like that.

User Info Menu

The new Dice cd is incredible! I still have recorded sets from him playing with michael brecker, which was the first time i heard him play! There are a couple of videos around of him playing classical as well, he kills there too

i'd love to hear those recorded sets with brecker!

User Info Menu

I got to see Adam years ago when he was in John Patitucci's trio such an amazing musician. The only bad thing was that was when Adam was in to that really dark bassy sound and it got muddy sounding.

Adam has a tutor video on odd note grouping

Adam Rogers Guitar Lesson (3) - Compound Note Groupings

Thanks Doc.

P.S.

I also bought the dice record the day it was available. Amazing playing. Definitely an ode to Jimi / Stevie and there is some beatles in there too!

The difference is that Adam's time is so ridiculously locked in!

My son recently saw the dice band at 55bar in NYC. He said it was the loudest concert he'd ever heard! He's not a gear head but from the description it sounded like a pair of twin reverbs!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i'd love to hear those recorded sets with brecker!
    They were minidisc recordings, i need to see if these disks still work, havent listened to them for a while now! I have so much stuff from my berklee days, all these recitals from people playing there, lage lund, lionel lueke, lots of great sax and rhythm players as well. And most of these guys were on their "chops" period then, younger, lacking maybe the maturity that came after, but if you enjoy that particular kind of playing, which i do, they were burning!

just purchased adam's compound note groupings and chromaticism and polytonality videos!

User Info Menu

I was just listening to Adam's incredible solo on "Long Ago And Far Away" from "Art Of The Invisible" this morning. I think this is one of my favorite jazz guitar solos ever. It's incredibly well constructed, and forms a complete, logical statement and has a real "arc" to it. There's several points which seem like the peak, in terms of dynamics and excitement, and then in the next chorus he takes it even further! I don't think I'll ever get sick of listening to this one. The whole record is great, but this particular solo is a favorite of mine.

Adam is definitely one of the best jazz guitarists in history. There are a lot of great jazz improvisers on guitar but he can do it all from rhythm to solos and he plays all styles too. I've heard him do heavy metal stuff, hendrix, classical, etc.

It's erie hearing Jimi done with polyrhythms and such incredibly locked in time.

User Info Menu

great facility, but sounds too mechanical. no soul in it.

KIDDING

User Info Menu

Thanks for these clips. I'd heard him at the 55bar years ago in a context I didn't like him as much in so I'd sort of written him off. Seems I'd been missing something...

User Info Menu

Here's some Adam Rogers with Michael Brecker:

http://ia600306.us.archive.org/25/it...ulMN.mp3?cnt=0

User Info Menu

I have the bootleg of Brecker/Rogers/Larry Goldings/Clarence Penn at Ronnie Scott's, London in 2000 that's been doing the rounds for years.

Got to see him this exact day last year at the 55 Bar with David Binney. For the first half of the set, they played bop and standards from the 'R&R' album, with Rogers on his 335. For the second half of the set, he strapped on an SG (with paperclips and lolipop sticks in the strings!), cranked the amp and reverb and off they went into an incredible long space-funk jam.

His videos for mymusicmasterclass.com are great.

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    I have the bootleg of Brecker/Rogers/Larry Goldings/Clarence Penn at Ronnie Scott's, London in 2000 that's been doing the rounds for years.

Got to see him this exact day last year at the 55 Bar with David Binney. For the first half of the set, they played bop and standards from the 'R&R' album, with Rogers on his 335. For the second half of the set, he strapped on an SG (with paperclips and lolipop sticks in the strings!), cranked the amp and reverb and off they went into an incredible long space-funk jam.

His videos for mymusicmasterclass.com are great.
    I love the two that I bought today. I've already learned a ton.

i'd love to get a copy of that bootleg.

User Info Menu

Adam is one of those players that I enjoy as a contributing sideman as much as with his own groups. He and fellow band mates in Chris Potter Underground are natural born killers, and.....no bassist.

User Info Menu

I like him

User Info Menu

I must dig out that transcription of him I did

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Adam is one of those players that I enjoy as a contributing sideman as much as with his own groups. He and fellow band mates in Chris Potter Underground are natural born killers, and.....no bassist.

I love everything about this......especially Adam's tone. I've always felt that the Strat was a way to go with even a more bop approach.
    Adam and Uffe Steen get such a great sound.

User Info Menu

Adam must have got a kick out of being included in this recently painted mural dedicated to John Coltrane who would have celebrated his birthday today (it's mine too, as it happens). AR was part of a commemorative project along with Ravi Coltrane and Matthew Garrison:

A New Mural Pays Tribute to John Coltrane in Philadelphia | Open Culture

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Adam must have got a kick out of being included in this recently painted mural dedicated to John Coltrane who would have celebrated his birthday today (it's mine too, as it happens). AR was part of a commemorative project along with Ravi Coltrane and Matthew Garrison:

A New Mural Pays Tribute to John Coltrane in Philadelphia | Open Culture
    that's sweet. Is adam from philly? And that birthdate is cool, mine is on jimi's birthday which is also cool but yours is better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    that's sweet. Is adam from philly? And that birthdate is cool, mine is on jimi's birthday which is also cool but yours is better.
    Adam's a New Yorker but he's worked quite a bit with Ravi Coltrane.

Strangely enough, my daughter was born on July 17, the day Coltrane died. There seems to be a disproportionate number of musicians that share my birthday, including Ray Charles, Roy Buchanan and Bruce Springsteen. I wouldn't knock back Jimi though!
    Last edited by PMB; 09-23-2017 at 06:45 PM.