The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 90

User Info Menu

These pics were sent to a Daniel Slaman via Pat Metheny, these are just AMAZING a true piece of history enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 55bar; 08-31-2017 at 07:14 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What i wouldn't give for just an hour to play this guitar.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingchords
    What i wouldn't give for just an hour to play this guitar.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    Agreed, I'm trying to figure out how the the lacquer got worn so much just on the top above the 15th fret. Any ideas?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    Agreed, I'm trying to figure out how the the lacquer got worn so much just on the top above the 15th fret. Any ideas?

Same here...

Plus: a couple of hack jobs regarding the modifications....LOL!

Anyway: thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

There are no string slots in the bridge right?

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    There are no string slots in the bridge right?
    I think if you zoom in they are visible

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Same here...

Plus: a couple of hack jobs regarding the modifications....LOL!

Anyway: thanks for posting!
    Of course, some of the modifications would have been done by Jimmy D'Aquisto (ebony fretboard and pick guard, though don't know about the PU insert)...

Could the finish wear on the top stem from a strap that's been left on??

PS. Thanks for posting these!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nils
    Of course, some of the modifications would have been done by Jimmy D'Aquisto (ebony fretboard and pick guard, though don't know about the PU insert)...

Could the finish wear on the top stem from a strap that's been left on??

PS. Thanks for posting these!!
    Yes that's what I thought re the strap.

User Info Menu

That thing has sure made some wonderful sounds!

User Info Menu

Now some marketing genius is going to do a Guitar Center/Gibson antiqued re-issue complete with faux worn out finish and toucan sticker. Look for it in the neighborhood of $20K. Those Guild pickups go a long way towards that very unique sound; the D'Aquisto guitar Jimmy built for Jim retained those pickups.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Those Guild pickups go a long way towards that very unique sound;

David
    Well, it's gotta be the Guild pickups in combination with the toucan sticker, surely!

User Info Menu

Now some marketing genius is going to do a Guitar Center/Gibson antiqued re-issue complete with faux worn out finish and toucan sticker. Look for it in the neighborhood of $20K.

David
    If jazz guitarists would fall for those marketing scams as easily as rock guys - sure!

User Info Menu

Wasn't there something about the neck? I remember hearing something like he took his Gibson neck and put it on his D'Aquisto or something like that. Was it from this guitar? Therefore the neck on it now is not original?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by furtom
    Wasn't there something about the neck? I remember hearing something like he took his Gibson neck and put it on his D'Aquisto or something like that. Was it from this guitar? Therefore the neck on it now is not original?
    I could see Jimmy taking the exact contour and incorporating it onto his new guitar, that D'Aquisto was, afterall a 16" laminate designed to be everything Jim loved about the 175 and putting it into the best D'Aquisto could build in that image. It's not difficult to duplicate a neck contour. But a neck transplant? Not that I've ever ever heard. I've looked Jim's D'Aquisto over pretty carefully (now THAT's a dream and feel I'll never forget) and it was definitely D'Aquisto workmanship through and through. At least when I saw Jim those times.
    He had the most disturbing habit of balancing that guitar on a bar stool flat on its back. Yikes! But he did know what he was doing, on and off the bandstand.

David

Quote Originally Posted by furtom
    When I was about 25, I met and played a tune with Jim, I seem to remember him saying something along those lines, but it was a while ago so my memory of it was all a bit hazy.

User Info Menu

I thought the story was jimmy put the ebony fretboard with block markers on this one...

Man, if guitars could talk.

User Info Menu

The neck is the same one that Gibson put on it, as the headstock clearly shows. But D'Aquisto replaced the fingerboard as well as the pickup and bridge. I don't know if that was for aesthetics or because the original fingerboard was worn. The neck on his D'Aquisto was clearly a D'Aquisto neck from the photos of that instrument that one can find on the interwebs.

All the photos I have seen of this axe, never noted the pickup ring. But I suppose it had to be done that way due to the size of the hole for the P90.

Re: the wear on the upper bout. Maybe just rub from the case lining over millions of miles of being transported?

This and Johnny Smith's 1955 D'Angelico are my favorite jazz guitars ever (followed by Tal's ES-350 and Ed Bickert's Tele). Thanks for posting the photos!
    Last edited by Cunamara; 09-01-2017 at 10:10 AM.

User Info Menu

The fingerboard replacement seems evident also in the different fret markers than the standard ES175 split blocks.

Thanks for this really intimate look at an iconic guitar!

User Info Menu

I'm happy to learn that Pat has this guitar now, that makes perfect sense. Does anyone know where the Ga-50 is now? Thanks for the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    I'm happy to learn that Pat has this guitar now, that makes perfect sense. Does anyone know where the Ga-50 is now? Thanks for the pics.
    I think actually Pat had the opportunity to buy this but in the end it went to another buyer.

User Info Menu

I could see Jimmy taking the exact contour and incorporating it onto his new guitar, that D'Aquisto was, afterall a 16" laminate designed to be everything Jim loved about the 175 and putting it into the best D'Aquisto could build in that image. It's not difficult to duplicate a neck contour. But a neck transplant? Not that I've ever ever heard. I've looked Jim's D'Aquisto over pretty carefully (now THAT's a dream and feel I'll never forget) and it was definitely D'Aquisto workmanship through and through. At least when I saw Jim those times.
    He had the most disturbing habit of balancing that guitar on a bar stool flat on its back. Yikes! But he did know what he was doing, on and off the bandstand.

David
    If you had the guitar in hand, I certainly take you word for it. But I know I heard it. You know, if it's on the Internet, it must be true!

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    When I was about 25, I met and played a tune with Jim, I seem to remember him saying something along those lines, but it was a while ago so my memory of it was all a bit hazy.

Yeah, there is something out there... It's probably been distorted after all these years...

User Info Menu

great pics!!! thanks

lot of jimmy d'aquisto in that guitar..from the guild pups he used often, to the pickguard and pickup ring...aside from fretboard

and yes the rosewood pickup ring has to be oversized to cover the p90 hole..which is longer...but also the guild is wider..so some additional top wood had to be cut

also has the collectable van eps string damper..

that jack plate is questionable..screws very close to edges... reason tape is needed to hold screws..must have been quite a large crack or hole

upper bout wear is probably from strap..either taking on and off or in the case

good stuff...classic guitar...and remember that guitar was originally owned by howard roberts!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-01-2017 at 12:10 PM.

User Info Menu

has 60's Gibson knobs and tailpiece, Schallers are later
    that guitar must've been on a million gigs
    Last edited by wintermoon; 09-01-2017 at 12:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool thread!

User Info Menu

gotta rememeber those are old school working mans mods

nowadays a more accurate historical renovation would be in order, but in those days that kind of thinking didnt yet exist really...not for a lami 175 especially!! whatever fit and was available (which was not much) was used...

cheers