The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 70

User Info Menu

2-1/2 years ago I visited Patrick Amato at his house. After I played couple of his guitars, he began to tell me about his relationship with Vinnie Corrao. Vinnie was his guitar teacher. Vinnie was also my fathers best friend when he was just a boy. Patrick always raved about Vinnies playing, and rightfully so. Patrick pulled out a CD recorded by Vinnie. On it was a few tunes played with his band. But Patrick singled out "Lush Life". We listened to it. Patrick told me that was his favorite song. He asked me to learn it for him one day. I promised I would.

Here you go Patrick. I hope you hear this. Your legacy here still lives on for 2 years after your passing. We miss you. I did this for you..

This is the Joe Pass version. Recorded with Mic and Zoom G3 into separate channels. Mixed using my USB Mixer.

Joe DeNisco

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just beautiful, Joe. I'm sure PA and JP are smiling, sipping espresso and puffing on Cohibas, listening to you playing, and swapping stories. Well done!

User Info Menu

this is why i love this place!!!

great story.. great homage...great playing!

bravo joe D!! (as always)

cheers

User Info Menu

Wow. A Joe Pass tune, played on a Johnny Smith guitar, in honor or Patrick... there's almost too much there to even absorb!

Stunning.

User Info Menu

Just beautiful, Joe.

I feel the emotion of the homage and at the same time the magic of the moment.

Eternity is Today.

User Info Menu

Joe- fantastic playing! I love the emotion you put into your playing - always heartfelt .

A tremendous gift for Patrick - I'm sure he is smiling down on you .

Thanks for sharing this - very special

User Info Menu

Couldn't think of a nicer tribute. He would have loved that, man. Lovely playing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Couldn't think of a nicer tribute. He would have loved that, man. Lovely playing!
    thanks Mr B.
    Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Joe- fantastic playing! I love the emotion you put into your playing - always heartfelt.
    A tremendous gift for Patrick - I'm sure he is smiling down on you .
    Thanks for sharing this - very special
    QA, thanks buddy. I think he would have loved that guitar too. Your old guitar is making me really happy. What a terrific instrument you found for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by xuoham
    Just beautiful, Joe.
    I feel the emotion of the homage and at the same time the magic of the moment.
    Eternity is Today.
    Thanks xuoham. I wanted to learn that song for over 2 years, but I wasn't ready for it. It's a beautiful song. I am glad I did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Bravo!
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Wow. A Joe Pass tune, played on a Johnny Smith guitar, in honor or Patrick... there's almost too much there to even absorb!
    Stunning.
    As you know, the JP stuff is taxing on the brain. I think Minor Detail is a distant memory now.. thanks bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    great story.. great homage...great playing!
    bravo joe D!! (as always)
    cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Just beautiful, Joe. I'm sure PA and JP are smiling, sipping espresso and puffing on Cohibas, listening to you playing, and swapping stories. Well done!
    neatomic and citizenk You 2 are reasons I love this place. Thanks for the graciousness you always show us.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Brother Joe, seriously good stuff....and thanks for sharing. But this brings up a musician joke that I have to share:

A bandleader has a highly paid New Years Eve casual and the night before the gig, his main reeds player calls in sick. The bandleader calls around and everyone is booked. Finally he talks to his keyboard player who says he has the number of a reeds player, but he has never played with him and cannot vouch for his skills. The bandleader, being desperate takes the number.

The unknown reeds player is called and amazingly is available and the bandleader hires him. The reeds player shows up to the gig and tells the bandleader "I am a pretty good player, thanks for hiring me, but I do want to tell you that I only know how to play two songs"

The bandleader yells :TWO FRICKEN SONGS! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WHAT ARE THEY?

The reeds player replies "Lush Life in any key and Happy Birthday in F"

User Info Menu

Joe, very nice, great playing!

PS: I love the way these mid seventies JS sound and your clip makes me wonder if i'd better replace the frets on mine too ....

User Info Menu

Joe,
    Very well played my friend, not an easy tune to conquer but executed
    with great panache. Patrick will be pleased that you kept your promise.

User Info Menu

Great playing and that Gibson JS sounds great! Thanks!

User Info Menu

Great as always

i woke up this morning and this is the first thing I played, now I will be humming all day !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    Exactly. There are a lot of overly sentimental people here, and that is a wonderful thing. I mostly lurk on the forum but am always pleased at the civility, humility, and mutual respect shown to one another. Kept it up!

And beautiful playing, Joe. Kudos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Joe, I really enjoyed your video! A wonderful song played perfectly. The sound your getting is fist rate. Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Brother Joe, seriously good stuff....and thanks for sharing. But this brings up a musician joke that I have to share:

A bandleader has a highly paid New Years Eve casual and the night before the gig, his main reeds player calls in sick. The bandleader calls around and everyone is booked. Finally he talks to his keyboard player who says he has the number of a reeds player, but he has never played with him and cannot vouch for his skills. The bandleader, being desperate takes the number.

The unknown reeds player is called and amazingly is available and the bandleader hires him. The reeds player shows up to the gig and tells the bandleader "I am a pretty good player, thanks for hiring me, but I do want to tell you that I only know how to play two songs"

The bandleader yells :TWO FRICKEN SONGS! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WHAT ARE THEY?

The reeds player replies "Lush Life in any key and Happy Birthday in F"
    oh yeah.. I could see that happening. It's a beautiful complicated song that takes up ALOT of RAM..
    thanks bro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cushman
    Joe, I really enjoyed your video! A wonderful song played perfectly. The sound your getting is fist rate. Thanks for posting!
    Matt, thanks my man. For some reason the sound got a little muddy in the middle. That underwater sound.. thanks buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by skittles
    Exactly. There are a lot of overly sentimental people here, and that is a wonderful thing. I mostly lurk on the forum but am always pleased at the civility, humility, and mutual respect shown to one another. Kept it up!
    And beautiful playing, Joe. Kudos.
    Skittles, you are right. I myself have spoiled as I've become overly intolerant to bullshit. But the core really respect each other here and that the key. Please post more. Especially, when you say nice things about my playing.. Just kidding bud. Thanks for the nice words.
    Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    Great as always
    i woke up this morning and this is the first thing I played, now I will be humming all day !
    Fws6, it's always treat to see you contribute. It is awesome song. And keep humming bro. This music is being rapidly forgotten for some reason. I'm glad to help start your day off right!
    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Great playing and that Gibson JS sounds great! Thanks!
    Thanks Tommo. I am very happy with the GJS. It's as close as I'll come to a real cutaway Excel. It has a sound that makes it unique. And it has cache' in spades.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe,
    Very well played my friend, not an easy tune to conquer but executed
    with great panache. Patrick will be pleased that you kept your promise.
    Foxman, you ain't kidding bro. It's a tough one. It generates amnesia with the other arrangements. I am happy with it. A very satisfying project for sure. Let me know it gets the nod from your better half..
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Joe, very nice, great playing!
    PS: I love the way these mid seventies JS sound and your clip makes me wonder if i'd better replace the frets on mine too ....
    Jazznote, thanks buddy.
    As far as the frets.. I see no redeeming quality to the low frets, whatsoever. Maybe on a Les Paul, yeah but on a chord melody maker? I just don't get it. Personally, I'm glad they are off and I don't miss them one bit. Plus I LOVE the look of the Gold EVO frets. When I am playing, I look down at the perfectly polished gold fret ends and I actually see them as an cosmetic upgrade as well as a functional necessity.
    Replace them!
    Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

Joe - as it happens, I was on a site last night and someone posted a clip from Casablanca. At the end of the clip, the screen filled up with various other clips from one of the finest films ever made - with one exception. There in the upper right hand corner, amongst the clips of Ric and Ilsa and the rest of the first-rate cast, there was Joe DeNisco playing Lush Life on his Johnny Smith. I thought it was appropriate.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 08-26-2017 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Joe,

My favorite chart. Exceptional playing, man. And, the Johnny Smith sounds beautiful. Superb.

User Info Menu

Joe, that is beautiful, brother. You are a fantastic player and awesome human being! Made my day a rich experience. Thank you!! I thought you were pretty talented before, but that puts it into a whole different level. Very cool.

User Info Menu

I can feel Patrick's giant grin shining down from Heaven. Bro seriously that is by far the best video you have ever done. Flawless bro. I can hear the words of Joe Pass saying "Hey that guy can play ! "
    I forgot how beautiful that song is. WOW bro that was a masterpiece. I watched it 5 times. This one blew me away.

User Info Menu

Joe,
    As you might expect you got Two Thumbs up
    from June, a rare event, doubly difficult after
    the stroke. The verdict .,,a masterly performance,
    and I wholeheartedly agree.
    Keep up the good work JS & JP are watching.

SF

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Thanks Joe.
    As always you nailed it !
    Beautiful.
    Dennis
    Dennis my man, as always, always the gentleman. Thank YOU sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Joe,
    My favorite chart. Exceptional playing, man. And, the Johnny Smith sounds beautiful. Superb.
    GT, I was hoping you would like it. That Johnny is amazing. It's my baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Really beautiful Joe...
    Big
    Thanks my huge hearted, big friend. As tributes go, you made the best one. You took good care of our boys family in the time of need. You are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Joe, that is beautiful, brother. You are a fantastic player and awesome human being! Made my day a rich experience. Thank you!! I thought you were pretty talented before, but that puts it into a whole different level. Very cool.
    Awww, thanks Sky. That was a great post bro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I can feel Patrick's giant grin shining down from Heaven. Bro seriously that is by far the best video you have ever done. Flawless bro. I can hear the words of Joe Pass saying "Hey that guy can play ! "
    I forgot how beautiful that song is. WOW bro that was a masterpiece. I watched it 5 times. This one blew me away.
    Thanks my brother. I am happy you liked it. Joe Pass was a gift from God to all who listened to him. His playing was angels singing.
    Just like the sound of your voice bro..
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe,
    As you might expect you got Two Thumbs up
    from June, a rare event, doubly difficult after
    the stroke. The verdict .,,a masterly performance,
    and I wholeheartedly agree.
    Keep up the good work JS & JP are watching.

SF
    Aww Foxman. I am glad I could bring a little happiness to the love of your life.
    You are a great dude Foxman. Thanks for gracing us with class.

Thanks my bros