The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hi fellow guitar players,

i recently bought a Guild X-175 Manhattan from the actual production series.

I love the neck and all the other specs, but i can't get along with P-90s. Thats the hard lesson that I learned with this baby.

Now I have the question should i sell it or switch the pickups to Humbuckers. I know there are only a view manufactures out there who have a exactly fitting pickup of the type P-90s with dog Ears but Humbucker inside.

One more thing that could be better is the feedback. But I think thats just with what you have to live if you love bigger jazz boxes.

Thanks for all you efforts and time.

Greetings from Bavaria
    Attached Images Attached Images Guild X-175 Manhattan pickup swap or sell it?-happynewyear2017_2-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What is it about the p-90 pickups that you don't like? Some day I would like to get a p-90 equipped archtop. Every one that I have tried I have liked - very cool sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

You could go for a pair of Guild humbuckers, to stay 'correct', like the Seymour Duncan SD-1:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userp...umbucker_1.jpg

I suspect it would require routing, but it's not a vintage instrument.

As for the feedback: playing a sound post under the bridge could work wonders! (Didn't older Guilds come with that from the factory?)

User Info Menu

I always look at playability and the acoustic sound of a guitar first because if I like those the electronics can always be changed/upgraded. So if the guitar pleases you unplugged I'd keep it and explore the options for pups. I believe there's a company that makes a P90 cover to hold a humbucker but I'm not sure if it's just their humbucker or not.

Looking for a more "electrical" sound with more controlled bass response that i experienced with Humbuckers.

There is no sound post as far as i can see.

If someone knows the company that makes a P90 Cover to hold a Humbucker a link would be great. Thanks

User Info Menu

Your guitar does not have P90s, but Guild's own version of them. Soundwise perhaps very close, but I think dimensions are different, so a humbucker-in-P90-cover might not fit without modification.

But the Creamery makes P90-sized humbuckers:
    The Creamery

Last edited by Little Jay; 04-15-2017 at 11:55 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I had The Creamery one on a Godin Kingpin - sounded very good but it's still a little different from a full-size PAF, as expected.

User Info Menu

P-90 pickups are allright for me, but I wish the covers were black instead of cream white. They don't merge quite well with the guitar, they look like an afterthought...and still, humbuckers would be a better choice, IMHO.

User Info Menu

Sell it and get the guitar that works for you. Better than guessing how the other solutions might sound and then spending the money to find out if you were right.

User Info Menu

¿Could THIS be an alternative without the need for cutting the guitar top?
    ¿It's suitable for playing jazz??

TV Jones PowerTron. Sort of "Gibson'-like with Filter'Tron overtones" on a P-90 size package.
    Guild X-175 Manhattan pickup swap or sell it?-1-png

User Info Menu

All these options, but you will probably need to modify something to get them to fit. If it's just drilling new screw holes, you'll be OK, but be careful and do it correctly. You may also have to enlarge the opening for different p/ups. Again, use care. Maybe a custom made unit? is what's needed, as the photo above shows, there are no "dog ears", tabs for mounting the P/up.
    Last edited by Jimmy Mack; 06-18-2017 at 10:01 PM.

User Info Menu

¿Maybe the same pickup in different configuration and mounting system?
    Mounting ring screwed directly to the body and then the pickup screwed to the ring.

Guild X-175 Manhattan pickup swap or sell it?-2-pngGuild X-175 Manhattan pickup swap or sell it?-2-png
    Last edited by Dhango; 06-20-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Just be sure and consider resale before you start modifying the top. A lot of "upgrades" on less expensive guitars will reduce resale value. I tend to agree with Jim Soloway. If you're not just completely enamored with everything else about the guitar, I'd consider cutting your losses and trying something else.

User Info Menu

Another option might be to have someone install new insides to the pickups that are on the guitar now. When the Tone Spectrum pickup died on my 1951 Epiphone Zephyr Regent, Lindy Fralin installed a new pickup inside it.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=JWS;762355]Hi fellow guitar players,

i recently bought a Guild X-175 Manhattan from the actual production series.

I love the neck and all the other specs, but i can't get along with P-90s. Thats the hard lesson that I learned with this baby.

Now I have the question should i sell it or switch the pickups to Humbuckers. I know there are only a view manufactures out there who have a exactly fitting pickup of the type P-90s with dog Ears but Humbucker inside.

One more thing that could be better is the feedback. But I think thats just with what you have to live if you love bigger jazz boxes.

2 things: The pickups are not exactly shaped like p-90's so I don't think you can retrofit without some work. Also: I have the same guitar, and in the beginning I had some feedback problems. Here's how I fixed them: I took off the covers and unscrewed the 4 screws that mount the coil to the top. Then I added about 2mm of rubber hose (like the kind used for bike valves) to the screws so the pickup is now no longer mounted directly to the top. Put the covers back on - no more feedback!

Try it - you'll like it!
    grtz, Jeroen