The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 57

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Here is the Gibson ES165 Herb Ellis in action.
    The song is "The Song is You", the arrangement, by Joe Pass.
    I wanted to record this acoustically and electric combined, but all my neighbors seem to be having their grass cut today and the sound of dueling lawnmowers probably wouldn't have worked.
    I am completely attached to this guitar. Its beautiful, plays great and well, its pretty much perfect. 3 down, one to go.
    Thanks Everyone.
    Joe DeNisco

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So glad you ended up with the guitar Joe. It sounds magnificent in such capable hands. I see you switched it back to the TOM bridge I think that little edge of brightness makes it a little more crisper. That guitar is simply beautiful no doubt about it. I hope you find many years of satisfaction playing it.
    One question though what are the 3 out of 4 and what is number 4.

Dave

User Info Menu

WOW bro that thing sounds GREAT ! Looks like you have lost weight too.
    I showed this video to my wife and she said why can't you play nice like that.
    That axe is a winner.......I love the bass notes. Very defined. Nice !!!

User Info Menu

Hey Dave,
    Thank you so much for selling me the guitar. As you know, this guitar is capable in anybobies hands.
    Its funny, I put the TOM back on this morning. I was hoping more for sustain reasons. I couldnt really tell the difference. If anything, it adds some of those odd after effects like the sound of buzzes and metal and springs.. I might take it off. You had it all figured out. But I do think the TOM looks good though.
    The 3 are the Johnny Smith, a Tal Farlow and this Herb. The 4th will be an L5 Wes, when I can afford it. Then, I'm done. (that was a good one wasn't it)..
    thanks buddy, Joe D

User Info Menu

"Then I'm done" ? Why do I find that hard to believe Mr. Guitar tester? Didn't I detect a hint of GAS in Mark's JSA thread?

Fine playing as always my friend, I am glad you have adapted to the chunky neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    WOW bro that thing sounds GREAT ! Looks like you have lost weight too.
    I showed this video to my wife and she said why can't you play nice like that.
    That axe is a winner.......I love the bass notes. Very defined. Nice !!!
    hey bro,
    Thanks buddy. Yeah I lost a couple. It's hard for me to work off calories with 2 bad hips, plantar fasciitis and all the other muscles that have torn off my body over the years. I thought being active and athletic was supposed to keep you younger longer.. Ha! Not..
    The guitar sounds nice right bro? I do really like it a lot. It has found a home with me.
    Tell Ms K, ill play for her anytime she wants.
    Thanks bro.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    "Then I'm done" ? Why do I find that hard to believe Mr. Guitar tester? Didn't I detect a hint of GAS in Mark's JSA thread?

Fine playing as always my friend, I am glad you have adapted to the chunky neck.
    you like that one huh? But I am serious though. I refuse to become a gear head for the rest of my life. I will stop at 4. The last one will be an L5 Wes. And I hope for it to be a nice one. Maybe with sea shells on it. Maybe not. I don't know..
    thanks Marco. The neck feels good now. Real good.
    JD

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing, beautiful tune, beautiful guitar. What more can you want.

User Info Menu

Your enabler here.......Wildwood is really dealing on their 3 VSB L5P/BJB's. I got them below the 7K mark for you.
    What are bro's for ...... :-)

User Info Menu

Bro if you have the TOM bridge with the retaining wire they rattle more than a old Harley.
    Get the upgraded Nashville one as found on new L5's. They do not rattle.

User Info Menu

Joe,

The "170" sounds great and obviously feels good under your fingers. Great switch out for you--175 to 170.

GT

User Info Menu

Hey Joe, nice video. The ES165 looks great and sounds great thanks to your musicianship.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Sensational Joe, just exquisite! With your 4 guitar aspirations I really hear another, maybe an L4c or L4ces, in your future?

User Info Menu

nice..very punchy, midrange forward tone..i suspect it would really cut through the mix in a trio or small group setting

i'd like to hear it with the acoustic tone mixed in (as you were intending)

& fine playing per usual joe D! tune is a great showcase for the balance and clarity of tone up and down the neck..perfect choice

enjoy !

cheers

User Info Menu

Max405, you made it sing, my brother. The tone is in your fingers. It will sound like crap in my hands.

The price of the ES-165 HE just went up! Thanks to you!

User Info Menu

Joe,
    Great playing as usual . The bass response is real fat and carries the chord beautifully .

Your mechanics looked quite comfortable on the neck. The added thickness gives you better fretting leverage , and if the nut width is good for you - I think it's a home run.

Besides, the thicker neck adds depth of tone. The laminated plates on that particular guitar are very good . I remember the back having a very low tap frequency which warms the bass nicely.

Personally - I think a floater laminate is a perfect compliment to your instruments. Oh and by the way - I have a lead on a sea shell Wes.

Do enjoy Joe- I always look forward to your NGD videos .

Steve L

User Info Menu

Next up to bat......the Abalone Monster. (Q we already named it :-).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    Beautiful playing, beautiful tune, beautiful guitar. What more can you want.
    thanks oldane.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Bro if you have the TOM bridge with the retaining wire they rattle more than a old Harley.
    Get the upgraded Nashville one as found on new L5's. They do not rattle.
    yep, that's the one. I'll deal with it for now. Good advice bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Joe,
    The "170" sounds great and obviously feels good under your fingers. Great switch out for you--175 to 170.
    GT
    GT, thanks buddy. The guitar is dynamite. Firm and stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Marshall
    Hey Joe, nice video. The ES165 looks great and sounds great thanks to your musicianship.
    Bobby, thanks I appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Sensational Joe, just exquisite! With your 4 guitar aspirations I really hear another, maybe an L4c or L4ces, in your future?
    Thank you buddy. Next up an L5. What else?
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nice..very punchy, midrange forward tone..i suspect it would really cut through the mix in a trio or small group setting
    i'd like to hear it with the acoustic tone mixed in (as you were intending)
    & fine playing per usual joe D! tune is a great showcase for the balance and clarity of tone up and down the neck..perfect choice
    enjoy !
    cheers
    neatomic, the acoustic tone is really really nice. I think I will do one for Lawson with the mix. That's the word I was looking for, balance. Balance and clarity. Yes.
    Thanks buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Max405, you made it sing, my brother. The tone is in your fingers. It will sound like crap in my hands.
    The price of the ES-165 HE just went up! Thanks to you!
    hey Jabbs. Thank you brother. I'm sure it would sound great in your hands. I'm flattered to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Joe,
    Great playing as usual . The bass response is real fat and carries the chord beautifully .
    Your mechanics looked quite comfortable on the neck. The added thickness gives you better fretting leverage , and if the nut width is good for you - I think it's a home run.
    Besides, the thicker neck adds depth of tone. The laminated plates on that particular guitar are very good . I remember the back having a very low tap frequency which warms the bass nicely
    Personally - I think a floater laminate is a perfect compliment to your instruments. Oh and by the way - I have a lead on a sea shell Wes.
    Do enjoy Joe- I always look forward to your NGD videos .
    Steve L
    Stevie, I'm lovin the guitar. Thanks for finding it. Pretty much everything about it is perfect.
    Yes, you sure do hold the keys to unlocking #4. It's funny how almost all of my guitars came from you. You have an eye and a feel for the best. Thank you Stevie.

Thank you everyone. I am glad to be here.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Joe - wow, that sounds just great. And wonderfully playing. I didn't think as much of the 165 floaters but this has proven me very wrong and I may have to get one someday. Thanks for recording it.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    Joe - wow, that sounds just great. And wonderfully playing. I didn't think as much of the 165 floaters but this has proven me very wrong and I may have to get one someday. Thanks for recording it.

Paul
    you got it Rio. The BJB is a very powerful and perfect balanced pickup. I'm a believer now.
    Im glad that I debunked the myth about it being a thin sounding guitar. Sometimes, a guy from Jersey's gotta get involved..
    thanks buddy.

User Info Menu

If I got one then we could add another floater 165 to NJ haha. I am going to start keeping an eye out. I saw one a couple years ago and passed but am going to look forward to trying to find one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Joe, I think it's time for that custom truss rod cover on the Joe D ES-170 Signature Model. Your playing is excellent, and the tone is nothing less than superb! Well done, Sir, well done!

User Info Menu

+1 on cover plate.

User Info Menu

So will the truss rod cover just have your name or your name plus es170? Gonna make us wait to find out? ????

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Wow...your playing is so great, Joe. Unbelievable command of the instrument. And, that guitar sounds fantastic. Bravo, Joe!