The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 84

User Info Menu

The Bud is a really nice amp, remember there's a port on the bottom - on a soft surface (deep carpet) the Bud can sound boxey, tilt it back a little and the bass fills in nicely. Also, the tweeter is very smooth, adds detail without sounding harsh.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have owned the Bud twice now, and also compared it to the DV Mark Little Jazz, and a diamond tolex Polytone MiniBrute

The DV Mark was nice - but the fan noise on the first generation ones drove me crazy, so it was sold - I also felt it was underpowered at 45 watts

The first time I owned the Bud I had it for just 2 days before returning it - I thought that it sounded thin and boxy and it did not get along well with my Eastman AR-371, it had a brightness and harshness that I could not dial out. It also sounded "off" with some of my other guitars as well

The Polytone was a better fit with my Eastman, but I recently downsized my living space to a studio-style apartment, and wanted an amp that was smaller and more "appropriate" to leave out in the living room, which led me to look at the Bud again... I had sold the Eastman, and the Polytone and picked up a Gibson ES-165, and nervously decided to try the Bud for a 2nd time - It works perfectly for me, it sounds amazing with my Gibson, and I couldn't be happier with the sound - so much so, that I wonder if the initial Bud that I received had some issue. The Bud has truly cured me of always looking for the next new amp - and even packed up in it's gig bag it is ridiculously small and easy to transport

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tcaron20
    Take a look at the Benedetto amps. They are built by Henricksen and the smaller one is 24 lbs!

tom
    These intrigue me. I have a Polytone that is a bear to dial in, a Quilter that I seldom use due to its lack of reverb, and me not bothering to add one to my pedal board, and I recently managed to find a mint condition Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight. I sold my old one because I didn't like the speaker that paired with it. I've been using the new one with a Suhr closed back 1x12 that I have fitted a new Celestion Neo Creamback to. What a stunning combination. I have been playing it with my Strats, my Gretsch and my Eastman El Rey. BAck to back listening with a pair of my tube amp heads through the same cab, and the Fender is absolutely brilliant.

That being said, I really wanted to look at the new Benedettos.

User Info Menu

My first Bud had a problem but there was no wondering about it - something was clearly wrong with it. A talk on the phone and they send me a new one two day so I had it in time for a gig and paid return shipping. Great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

So like most folks I am always on a quest for the best amp that fits my current guitar collection.

While browsing a GC I plugged in a 50 watt Roland Katana. At 24 lbs it feels like lifting a feather compared to my Carr Rambler, etc.

Amazing tone, was blown away. But can it do Jazz? Can it match my unreliable Mini Brute's tone?

I think it can and at $200.00 with a 45 day trial I will be taking one home. Users say that the PC interface for the virtual pedals will get that Jazz tone. Worth a try.

There is a lot of chatter on the boards about the 50 and 100 watt Katana combos. I was close to buying a The Bud but am going to wait until I run the Katana through the paces. $200 vs $1100.00 mmmmmmm.... I'll give it a try!

Tom C

User Info Menu

It could be because Raezer's Edge cabs have become very expensive. I checked the prices recently and found that the price range was between $400 and $600; far more than I would ever pay for a speaker cab. No doubt they are fine pieces of equipment, but just how much better than the alternatives is the question.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I decided to go with the Bud, at least in part because I've known Peter Henriksen for years and his father before him. We're headed to Mexico in the fall in a fairly small SUV. It will be an open ended extended trip with a thought to staying long term. I need to be down to one very small rig before I leave and I'm hoping that the Bud and my Montreal Premiere with a couple pedals will be the whole thing.
    That amp sounds like a great choice to me. I'd own a Bud in a minute -- but I'm a very happy older-gen Henriksen 110ER owner and not looking to spend a grand on a new amp. My bass player already calls me an "amp slut" which is basically true. But my old Henriksen remains a go-to keeper.

Good luck on your journey!
    You must have a brave woman at your side.

Perhaps you will play the Bajo Sexto south of the border? LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    It could be because Raezer's Edge cabs have become very expensive. I checked the prices recently and found that the price range was between $400 and $600; far more than I would ever pay for a speaker cab. No doubt they are fine pieces of equipment, but just how much better than the alternatives is the question.
    They have gotten expensive. I assume that's his answer to dealing with a specialized product lineup in such a limited market size. But that doesn't really answer this question though. The combo cabs and a very different creature than a speaker cab. It allows a very simple installation of an Acoustic Image head and voila: a small combo marrying the best of two highly respected products that together compete with some very pricey combos. The only time I've seen one it was being play by John Pisano. That was about 7 years ago and as I said, I don't think anyone here has ever even brought them up for discussion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    My first Bud had a problem but there was no wondering about it - something was clearly wrong with it. A talk on the phone and they send me a new one two day so I had it in time for a gig and paid return shipping. Great customer service.

Good to know. Some of these small boutique companies do spectacular customer service- my experiences with AI and Redstone were excellent.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info about the Mambo Jim.
    Yeah, the AI/RE combos...I know Michael at SoundIsland Music thinks highly of them,
    the speakers tend to be warm and the combination can apparently highlight the acoustic
    qualities of the guitar very well...
    It seems these days there are about 3 different sonic signatures that we can choose from: Acoustic Image,
    Henriksen and Mambo. And really, the Henriksen BUD has a preamp slightly different than the one on the 310/312, and all amps interact differently with different speakers....

User Info Menu

So I've had the Bud for about 7 weeks but I still can't get the Aviator Gold 8 out of my head as an alternative. The Bud sounds great for the size and maybe even sounds great period, but it's a sound that's much more neutral than I would choose if size weren't an issue. The Bud sounds good enough that my wife thinks I'm crazy for even thinking about it, but as silly as it may seem, I miss the colour that I'm used to from an amp and short of running a pre-amp with the Bud, that color is never going to be there. Just thinking out loud but I;d welcome some input.

User Info Menu

Hey Jim,
    "Wildcat" has had an Aviator Gold 8 for sale here for a while … now's your chance!

Marc

User Info Menu

... and now Quilter have that 101 Mini Reverb head. I can't stop thinking how that would sound in my house.

User Info Menu

I returned the bud- for me, the sound was too boring with an electric Archtop.

User Info Menu

So I've had the Bud for about 7 weeks but I still can't get the Aviator Gold 8 out of my head as an alternative. The Bud sounds great for the size and maybe even sounds great period, but it's a sound that's much more neutral than I would choose if size weren't an issue. The Bud sounds good enough that my wife thinks I'm crazy for even thinking about it, but as silly as it may seem, I miss the colour that I'm used to from an amp and short of running a pre-amp with the Bud, that color is never going to be there. Just thinking out loud but I;d welcome some input.
    Did you try to turn the input gain up all the way and add more mids AND presence ? That made a difference for me. It also gave me two different but great sounds with Wampler Black 65 and TC Electronic Mojomojo.

User Info Menu

I still love my Bud but that is one reason I got the Mustang GT100. It adds some flavor to the sound. With a group the Bud has been more consistently good, it is also my bass amp now and the utility of it is just amazing but I can understand where you are coming from. I wouldn't cal it boring, personally, but it doesn't color the sound. Which I do like a lot...but one thing I was missing too was the ability to have the sound break up very slightly when pushing it. Before getting the Mustang I was messing around with things to put in front of the Bud and it handles that very well if you can find a unit to go between the guitar and amp. I ended up with a BB Preamp but I don't use it now that I have the Mustang.

The gain trick helps too. It really does affect the sound - they recommend it being at at least 12 o'clock but I like it higher. It won't break up but it does make the sound more interesting.

User Info Menu

I tried the 101 mini reverb, and returned it. I just couldn't get a sound I liked, no matter how I twisted the knobs. I couldn't dial out the nasal sound that seems to be its basic quality. I don't think I'll buy anything from Quilter any time soon.

User Info Menu

I love the bud with a solid wood hollow body specifically because it sounds very neutral and blends very well with the acoustic sound of the guitar. However for a more traditional jazz tone with slightly less definition I don't think the bud offers that without coupling with a preamp. I've taken the recommendation to try the joyo American sound and I think it's great. The quilter differs because, as I understand it, the quilter inherently features settings that yield more tube character.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    It is also my bass amp now and the utility of it is just amazing ...
    Do you think the speaker can handle higher volume bass playing ?

User Info Menu

I pushed a 19 piece jazz orchestra with it a couple of weeks ago (on upright bass). Granted the stage was very acoustically live; it puts out a substantial amount of low end. I doubt i'd take it to a funk gig, but it can get pretty loud.

Quote Originally Posted by medblues

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Oh definitely. I have used it with both electric and upright bass in some very loud circumstances and haven't come close to maxing the volume out. Biggest thing was for a musical production with a 10 piece band - it was in a medium sized auditorium and although I only brought it for the read through, I decided to keep it there for the whole week because it was so capable. I used a bass amp modeler pedal in front of the amp for that - it is nice to be able to color the sound a little if I want to that way.

User Info Menu

I'd stick with the Bud and try a pedal in front of it for "flavor". The inexpensive Mojomojo does work well for this.

User Info Menu

If I remember correctly Henriksen teased the introduction of a hybrid amp before the last NAMM show. Vacuum tube preamp, solid state power amp, no mention of enclosure size or speaker configuration. I would like to see that come to market.

User Info Menu

this is my big fear with an acoustic/arch top amp- boring, flat sound. i'd somehow like to have both accuracy and color/flavor. have you tried a tube preamp of some kind? i'm experiementing with an old tube overdrive into otherwise flat clean channels and it does a lot to add life and depth to the sound.

i'm very much considering the new mesa rosette amp that has just been released. hope there is a 4th of july sale to pounce on. very interesting amp.

User Info Menu

I'm very happy with the Quilter 101 mini reverb through a GB Hot Rod Deluxe cab. No nasal here.......