The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 214

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    What I like is that every time you get a new guitar you post a bunch of videos, and I love to hear you play.
    Awww, thanks Lawson. I am taking it slow right now on learning anything new. I might re-record Golden Earrings and I'm Old Fashioned before I embark head first into What's New.. I think my recording setup with the Zoom G3 is better than when I 1st recorded those. I want to mix in a better acoustic recording with more volume and better mic placement. As long as you guys want to hear stuff, I am honored to play it. Thanks Lawson

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Joe do you believe that there's a chance to get a mint early seventies Gibson JS for 10k or less. I guess when you mention 17k you are talking about a sixties ..... am i wrong?
    JazzNote, based on what I've seen, you are right. The 70's examples are cheaper than the 60's. The 17,000 model is 1968 and it's in pristine condition. I've been told by a knowledgeable member that it looks practically new.
    JD

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's cool Greg, over and out

Alan

User Info Menu

I Made these today.
    my version of InNOut Burgers.
    Gibson LeGrand scale length-image-jpg

User Info Menu

I would rather have a great cheeseburger than a steak.

User Info Menu

This thread got me to take out a ruler and measure the scale length on all of my guitars. Most were exactly as expected. There were a few surprises. Both of my 18 inch guitars, the DA2 and the Super 400 measured at 25 3/8. My 48 DA Style B measured at 24 3/4 and my 63 175 measured at 24 9/16. And my Thames classical measured at 25 1/8 (most classicals are 25.5 or more)
    Last edited by Stringswinger; 06-29-2016 at 03:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    I Made these today.
    Gibson LeGrand scale length-image-jpg
    Joe , if I lived round the corner I'd be round
    for lunch! Might just take a sneak peek at
    you new HJS too. Which looks to be a superb
    acquisition. I like the black hardware , nicely
    understated , it still smacks of a LeGrande
    to me. I join others in wanting to hear it.
    congrats on your NGD

Alan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I would rather have a great cheeseburger than a steak.
    me too. Well, except for the 18oz filet at The Old Homestead. Or the 18oz filet at Ruth's Chris. To bad they did away with the Lyonaisse Potatoes.. But I get what you mean. A good Cheeseburger cooked on a cast iron flat top is right up there with the booty.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    This thread got me to take out a ruler and measure the scale length on all of my guitars. Most were exactly as expected. There were a few surprises. Both of my 18 inch guitars, the DA2 and the Super 400 measured at 25 3/8. My 48 DA Style B measured at 24 3/4 and my 63 175 measured at 24 9/16. And my Thames classical measured at 25 1/8 (most classicals are 25.5 or more)
    i never measured the DA2 but it did feel kinda perfect. If the HJS Comes in and measures 25-1/2, I think I'm probably gonna shoot myself.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe , if I lived round the corner I'd be round
    for lunch! Might just take a sneak peek at
    you new HJS too. Which looks to be a superb
    acquisition. I like the black hardware , nicely
    understated , it still smacks of a LeGrande
    to me. I join others in wanting to hear it.
    congrats on your NGD

Alan
    I wish all you guys lived right around the corner. Man what a neighborhood that would be, huh? Jeeze. We should all move into the same neighborhood. I could see us up in those hills in Sausalito, Santa Barbara, Lake Como or even better, on a beach in Maui. Can you imagine the music we would make there? Oh my.. Everybody would want to live by us, and Jazz would be back on top again.. Wake up Joe.
    Id even settle for a neighborhood in Monterey. Golf all day, Jazz all night. We could have Marco make us pizza. But, Hold the sardines please...

User Info Menu

I wish all you guys lived right around the corner. Man what a neighborhood that would be, huh? Jeeze. We should all move into the same neighborhood. I could see us up in those hills in Sausalito, Santa Barbara, Lake Como or even better, on a beach in Maui. Can you imagine the music we would make there? Oh my.. Everybody would want to live by us, and Jazz would be back on top again.. Wake up Joe.
    Id even settle for a neighborhood in Monterey. Golf all day, Jazz all night. We could have Marco make us pizza. But, Hold the sardines please...
    We could all choose the same retirement village! You know those commercials that show all those old people in Florida eternally doing line-dancing and playing golf? Now they could do a commercial with us all jamming our brains out paying bebop on $10,000 guitars!

"Play jazz guitar for the rest of your life at Farlow Village and Estates! Where chops are more than just what's on the grill!"

User Info Menu

Heck that sounds great... we're having a block party here Saturday, they're getting the River Forest Police to literally close off the street and all the old folks will be out there. It'll be interesting. I'm making a big cous cous salad... recipe follows...

Cous Cous Salad

​I spent a lot of time writing recipes and most of my stuff is on the Backyard Chickens Forum, but to make life a little easier I created a Facebook Page called Cooking With The Big Man, so if you want access to this stuff send me a friends request on Facebook

Michael W. Hale River Forest Illinois

And once I accept PM me who you are from here and you want access. That group is private/secret but I'll
    hook you up... Got maybe 150 recipes there. Just about anything you want...

Big

Jackson the cat says: Burnt Ends huh Dad ?? Gee I never had me any of that, is it any good (for the unwashed, burnt ends is what you get when you slow smoke a beef brisket 14 hours, remove the tip from the flat, take that tip and apply some rub and a bit of sauce and toss it back in the smoker another 90 minutes or so to render out a wee bit more of the fat, then remove from the smoker, cube it up, add just a dash of sauce and serve on a toasted roll or a baked potato...) To die for. Burnt Ends...

Gibson LeGrand scale length-img_4750-2-jpg
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 06-29-2016 at 09:00 AM.

User Info Menu

That is soo cool Mikey. You really know your stuff.
    The sandwich looks amazing.
    Nice!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Not for nothing but cooking is my gig... Been around the food industry all my life, didn't realize it but the weekend trips to "the Plant" in Berkeley, CA. with my Dad when I was 10 or so set in. And in my teens in Chicago again my Dad would take me to "the Plant" on Fullerton where it all started back in the 30s, and I'd see men in "The Lab" experimenting with coatings and breading products and have me come in and try them. That really made me realize it was men that were the great cooks. And it's true, men are the real chefs of the world. Yeah I got an associate in culinary arts in the early 90s at the California Culinary Academy, worked my ass off at church potlucks and feted weddings for the poorer girls in the congregation, did my stints in a Sicilian restaurant, been there and DONE that. I prefer cooking for friends. So get on over here, pick out a guitar and while you're jamming I'll throw down in my kitchen...

On my birthday I work my ass off for a few days before making some of my favorite things to eat: ambrosia salad, hummus and vegetables, jumbo shrimps with cocktail sauce, applewood smoked teriyaki/sesame chicken wings, baby back ribs Ala Johnny Triggs, all kinds of stuff. Then I can sit back and watch football games and knosh without a lot of fussing around.

Gibson LeGrand scale length-1476408_10151917776082239_2135366525_n-jpg

Big
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 06-29-2016 at 10:07 AM.

User Info Menu

What's the green stuff on the shrimps, some kind of marinade?

User Info Menu

That's called chopped parsley... Actually I toss the shrimp in chopped parsley, lemon zest and a tiny bit of red pepper flake.

Gibson LeGrand scale length-1451609_10151917677987239_648032378_n-jpg

And these here are one of my favorites, though a bit of work: suppli telephono. It's risotto that's cooke, take it off the heat, add grated reggiano and a beaten egg and then allowed to cool, then roll in balls push your index finger in ad add some chopped
    prosciutto and fresh mozzarella, roll it back up, then dredge in beaten egg and bread crumbs and deep fry. Served with a dash of marinara on a plate. They call it suppli TELEPHONO because when you cut into it that hot mozzarella stretches like little telephone wires... Good eats !!

Gibson LeGrand scale length-1424290_10151914987382239_1192354540_n-jpg
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 06-29-2016 at 11:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Not for nothing but cooking is my gig... Been around the food industry all my life, didn't realize it but the weekend trips to "the Plant" in Berkeley, CA. with my Dad when I was 10 or so set in. And in my teens in Chicago again my Dad would take me to "the Plant" on Fullerton where it all started back in the 30s, and I'd see men in "The Lab" experimenting with coatings and breading products and have me come in and try them. That really made me realize it was men that were the great cooks. And it's true, men are the real chefs of the world. Yeah I got an associate in culinary arts in the early 90s at the California Culinary Academy, worked my ass off at church potlucks and feted weddings for the poorer girls in the congregation, did my stints in a Sicilian restaurant, been there and DONE that. I prefer cooking for friends. So get on over here, pick out a guitar and while you're jamming I'll throw down in my kitchen...

On my birthday I work my ass off for a few days before making some of my favorite things to eat: ambrosia salad, hummus and vegetables, jumbo shrimps with cocktail sauce, applewood smoked teriyaki/sesame chicken wings, baby back ribs Ala Johnny Triggs, all kinds of stuff. Then I can sit back and watch football games and knosh without a lot of fussing around.

Gibson LeGrand scale length-1476408_10151917776082239_2135366525_n-jpg

Big
    So when we're all together living in retirement at Bebop Estates, you will be the king of the cook-out!

User Info Menu

​Well Lawson, I'm not so sure about the king of the cookout but if you see me coming you know I'll be packing something good !! My eyes are really failing me so I don't spend as much time cooking as I did, and relocating meant giving up my smoker and grill, which does put a dent in my repertoire... but it's all good.

Lucky the cat says, Hey Dad !! I want some of what you got going in the smoker !! (seen behind the cat)

Gibson LeGrand scale length-11187236_10152981493412239_2394936866738030157_o-jpg

User Info Menu

me too. Well, except for the 18oz filet at The Old Homestead. Or the 18oz filet at Ruth's Chris. To bad they did away with the Lyonaisse Potatoes.. But I get what you mean. A good Cheeseburger cooked on a cast iron flat top is right up there with the booty.

i never measured the DA2 but it did feel kinda perfect. If the HJS Comes in and measures 25-1/2, I think I'm probably gonna shoot myself.

Sardines on a pizza? Never. I have been living in California for so long that pineapple is in the realm of possibility.....

User Info Menu

LOL

This thread has turned into a foodie thread ... and cute cat photos

I love calico cats!

User Info Menu

I Made these today.
    I can't believe you're living in the land of Philly Cheesesteaks and would prefer having a burger! If you'd crave a PC for 40 years like I have, you'd not so much look at a burger! You can't get a PC any place west of Philly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    ​Well Lawson, I'm not so sure about the king of the cookout but if you see me coming you know I'll be packing something good !! My eyes are really failing me so I don't spend as much time cooking as I did, and relocating meant giving up my smoker and grill, which does put a dent in my repertoire... but it's all good.

Lucky the cat says, Hey Dad !! I want some of what you got going in the smoker !! (seen behind the cat)

Gibson LeGrand scale length-11187236_10152981493412239_2394936866738030157_o-jpg
    For a moment the cat saying "hey dad!" made me think "dad" was on the grill... but now I get it =8-0

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    LOL

This thread has turned into a foodie thread ... and cute cat photos

I love calico cats!
    we're just killing time until JD gets his new guitar...

User Info Menu

Joe,

Ha! I made some 2" thick chops on the grill tonight. The meal was great. Tell you what, though. It would be better in Farlow Village. ;-)

GT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Joe,

Ha! I made some 2" thick chops on the grill tonight. The meal was great. Tell you what, though. It would be better in Farlow Village. ;-)

GT
    I think we've got a business venture in the making here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I can't believe you're living in the land of Philly Cheesesteaks and would prefer having a burger! If you'd crave a PC for 40 years like I have, you'd not so much look at a burger! You can't get a PC any place west of Philly.
    You are quite wrong 2B. In the 80's, I sold amazing cheesesteaks at Marco's New York Style Pizza (I used Amoroso Italian bread shipped in from Philly, top notch ribeye steak and did it right, choice of cheese, handcut onions and correct cherry peppers, hot or sweet.) At the same time, I sold these cheesesteaks and my amazing NY pizza at my rock-n-roll Nightclub across the Bay in Alameda, CA (Johnny B. Goode's, forever immortalized in the movie "The Principal").

While my establishments are long gone, a San Francisco competitor opened a place called "The Cheesesteak shop" in the mid 80's which serves cheesesteaks that are almost as good as mine were. That operation is up to about a dozen stores across the Bay Area today. It is the real deal. Their sandwiches rival most places in Philly, including Pat's, Jim's and Geno's. I was born in Philly (still have family there) and grew up in NYC (still have family there as well). I know my way around East Coast food.

I lived in Portland, Oregon in the 90's and had my last restaurant there (Marco's Pizza and Subs). At that time Portland was still a bit culturally challenged, so I did not do Philly Cheesesteaks as I was not sure that there would be a demand for them.

I did well enough in the food business to put myself through law school. I did well enough in the law business to buy some investment real estate. The investment real estate makes it possible today for me to be a full time jazz musician. The dough (no pun intended) was way better in the food business and the law business, but for me, getting paid to play my guitar is as good as it gets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    You are quite wrong 2B. In the 80's, I sold amazing cheesesteaks at Marco's New York Style Pizza (I used Amoroso Italian bread shipped in from Philly, top notch ribeye steak and did it right, choice of cheese, handcut onions and correct cherry peppers, hot or sweet.) At the same time, I sold these cheesesteaks and my amazing NY pizza at my rock-n-roll Nightclub across the Bay in Alameda, CA (Johnny B. Goode's, forever immortalized in the movie "The Principal").

While my establishments are long gone, a San Francisco competitor opened a place called "The Cheesesteak shop" in the mid 80's which serves cheesesteaks that are almost as good as mine were. That operation is up to about a dozen stores across the Bay Area today. It is the real deal. Their sandwiches rival most places in Philly, including Pat's, Jim's and Geno's. I was born in Philly (still have family there) and grew up in NYC (still have family there as well). I know my way around East Coast food.

I lived in Portland, Oregon in the 90's and had my last restaurant there (Marco's Pizza and Subs). At that time Portland was still a bit culturally challenged, so I did not do Philly Cheesesteaks as I was not sure that there would be a demand for them.

I did well enough in the food business to put myself through law school. I did well enough in the law business to buy some investment real estate. The investment real estate makes it possible today for me to be a full time jazz musician. The dough (no pun intended) was way better in the food business and the law business, but for me, getting paid to play my guitar is as good as it gets.
    One more reason why I love this forum. You just never know who you're talking to behind those UserNames. What an amazing career you've had.

More power to you.

User Info Menu

There is no bigger fan of cats than me. Here is Ashley (my tuxedo cat):

Gibson LeGrand scale length-ashley-jpg

And Lynda (my Black cat):

Gibson LeGrand scale length-lynda-jpg

They are sisters, my wife and I adopted them from the San Francisco SPCA about a year ago. They have been listening to jazz since. They show a distinct preference for reeds. Charles LLoyd is a favorite for them. If I play any classic rock, they leave the room....