The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Posts 651 to 675 of 848
    Well I'm staying put with Richie, plus Richie is geared towards guitar

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm still in in working on Richie's stuff. But I've been taking 1:1 video exchange lessons for technique, and working on tunes for a couple of situations. So I have been going way slow on this, and therefore do not have a lot to say on the topic. But I have not jumped ship.

User Info Menu

I want to be clear about what I said earlier: I haven't worked with Richie's stuff in a week or so. I paid for the year and certainly have not cancelled it. I might put in a lot of time with it in a few months. Who knows? Certainly not me!

But if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have paid 90 bucks for this. But I did pay and may well glean a lot from of it before my year is done. But it's not part of my daily practice schedule for this week and won't be for next.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I want to be clear about what I said earlier: I haven't worked with Richie's stuff in a week or so. I paid for the year and certainly have not cancelled it. I might put in a lot of time with it in a few months. Who knows? Certainly not me!

But if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have paid 90 bucks for this. But I did pay and may well glean a lot from of it before my year is done. But it's not part of my daily practice schedule for this week and won't be for next.
    BTW he extended the time linit to 15 months not 12.

I feel like that advice Vic Juris once gave still rings true --if there's one or two essential things one can incorporate from a book or video or class, it will have served its purpose .

For me it's been a success because it' also revealed my Cardinal weakness --time, rhythm and feel .

Back to the drawing board

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    For me it's been a success because it' also revealed my Cardinal weakness --time, rhythm and feel .
    My weakness is more in reading time than playing it, but the course is helping me in this regard. It's
    also given accurately defined reference points for different rhythms.

So, who's going to refund everyone's money???

I agree, it's helped so much already with adding rhythm to my lines and we all know that makes a huge difference in how we sound...
    Ken

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kofblz
    So, who's going to refund everyone's money???
    Ha! I think Richie allows anyone to get a full refund within 30 days (-unless they have the whole course unlocked from the get-go). I didn't do that. I'm not upset about it. I'm just not working with his material now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I think you should start a new thread for this. Might be other people already familiar with it who could chime in.
    Finally a new perspective. Will this thread be an advertisement too?

Quote Originally Posted by GingerMojo
    So let me get this straight, we are on a Jazz forum, so letting people know about a site that teaches Jazz improv is an advertisement?

User Info Menu

Oh no, nothing wrong with spreading the word. Nothing at all. Even endorsing it is real cool. But, some members have gone so far as to getting really defensive about any criticism to a site that they have nothing to do with. They have made very long and very detailed sales pitches to get other members to join, (I myself have joined). But lets keep in mind that this is a forum, that encourages discussion. If we have criticism, let us voice them, and if you are going to pitch a site be open to competitors sites. It is very nice that another thread will be started that will also promote a site.

Of course people can debate the merits of a site, nothing wrong with that

So, now you're again bitching about this thread being an advertisement.....in response to a post about the value of another course? I think we've all got you down as being against the tone of the thread. You've voiced your sarcastic disdain twice now. At what point is it just trolling to continue to snipe at every comment without adding anything?

You seem really hung up on this. Why don't you go troll on the Jimmy Bruno or Willie Thomas threads that have been around for years. The people who like them, really like them. They may somewhat exaggerate the value of them or otherwise have an opinion which is more enthusiastic than yours, but that's OK. Isn't it?

You've made your point. Anything beyond this is just pure belligerence.

User Info Menu

I've really enjoyed this thread and hope to continue doing so. The early enthusiasm had me close to joining in too which is why I asked about effort and commitment required. Some recent postings have been honest in the presentation of difficulties some folks have continuing. I think this is also very valuable info, as are the shared experiences of those who continue to enjoy it. I realize the course has its own forum, but I come here to learn more about the course (and other related ones) as part of my general guitar education. Please continue to share.

Quote Originally Posted by odel
    I've really enjoyed this thread and hope to continue doing so. The early enthusiasm had me close to joining in too which is why I asked about effort and commitment required. Some recent postings have been honest in the presentation of difficulties some folks have continuing. I think this is also very valuable info, as are the shared experiences of those who continue to enjoy it. I realize the course has its own forum, but I come here to learn more about the course (and other related ones) as part of my general guitar education. Please continue to share.
    Since I'm the one that started this thread, and I'm on module 7, although still working on parts of 3,4,5...Yes there is a tremendous amount of material to learn. But I guess if you really want to understand how it works, this is a great foundation. Learning to improvise in the bebop language doesn't happen over night, unless your a prodigy
    But I'm super happy i found this site...Its already improved my playing and understanding tremendously!!
    Ken
    Ken

User Info Menu

I guess I have really offended some, and to this I sincerely apologize. I meant no real disrespect when I first voiced my concern. I will not continue to offend, but will try to offer creative and constructive points to this discussion if you will allow me to do so.

Again, I do apologize. I took the context of what people were saying the wrong way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by odel
    Well said. I'm interested in many courses / books / teachers that I have not worked with yet. For example, I haven't worked with the Garrison Fewell books yet or the Randy Vincent ones, though I've heard great things about both. One can only take on so much at a time. But I'm curious about various approaches. I'm glad I learned about Richie Zellon from this thread.

User Info Menu

Having read all 34 pages! of comments on this topic, I went to the website and listened to the 2 introductory videos. I made the decision to join up. I am only a couple of weeks in but already there has been one of those little lightbulb moments. Right at the beginning it demonstrates guide tone resolutions. Ahh, that's why my solos have sounded crap for so long, I never knew this. Why don't other books give you this little gem at the beginning instead of telling me to learn umpteen scales and arpeggios and 'play' them over the chords. I think this approach is about HOW to play the arpeggios. A crucial difference. And the whole trick of learning to think in an intervalic way is brilliant - instant transposition ability. I like his slow delivery and methodical approach, a big improvement over some sites where the tutor plays breakneck just to show he can - that's not teaching.
    I realise from all your previous comments that there is a lot of work to do. But my one ambition before I die is to be able to play a half decent solo over these changes.

User Info Menu

Stick with it. I've been pounding through module 2 for 3
    months, I think. The key to really absorbing the sounds, IMO, is working on it until you don't have to think about it anymore. It could get boring so temper your expectations, go as slowly as you need to, and don't forget to work on tunes and other important aspects of playing jazz.

User Info Menu

I only read the first 17 pages, so sorry if this has been mentioned. I joined up yesterday. In one of his videos he suggests that the first finger should always be fretting a note to keep the hand in position. Is this a common technique? I've never heard of making an effort to fret notes that aren't sounding. I come from a classical background. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I guess I have really offended some, and to this I sincerely apologize. I meant no real disrespect when I first voiced my concern. I will not continue to offend, but will try to offer creative and constructive points to this discussion if you will allow me to do so.

Again, I do apologize. I took the context of what people were saying the wrong way.
    You probably should not feel too bad about it. In these cynical days it is so easy to distrust intentions.

For example, part of me was wondering if you were a competitor to Richie trying to steer people away.

As many science fiction stories have shown, it is probably a good thing we can't read each other's minds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    I only read the first 17 pages, so sorry if this has been mentioned. I joined up yesterday. In one of his videos he suggests that the first finger should always be fretting a note to keep the hand in position. Is this a common technique? I've never heard of making an effort to fret notes that aren't sounding. I come from a classical background. Thanks!
    It is probably best if you go onto the forum and ask the question there. Richie will reply to you directly on the forum.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_S
    I like his slow delivery and methodical approach, a big improvement over some sites where the tutor plays breakneck just to show he can - that's not teaching.
    +1

User Info Menu

Any of you guys still going with this? I'm about half way through module 2. Some things I like:

* Releasing each module monthly. This is exactly what I need. Like so many others, I tend to try to move through material too fast because there's just so much of it everywhere.

*Intervallic script. Such a great idea; I love the direction it forces your thinking

*Be-bop calisthenics. Great exercises, especially if you can just go off the summary page

*The etudes are well written for what they are; you can tell he put some effort into making them musical. Not easy when you're trying to play swing with no syncopation and only the simplest of approach notes.

*Staying within just a few fingerings for a long time. I think Richie has a good sense of how much repetition is necessary to really internalize something. I think a lot of players learning from books and the like don't stay with one thing for long enough (at least that has been my experience).

Yes I am
    Ken

User Info Menu

how's it going Ken? Where are you now? Major challenges? Any fading enthusiasm? Any insights for those of us behind you??