The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 145

User Info Menu

Was listening to this which I found very beautiful. It was a student of mine who introduced me to the Gillian Welch/David Rawlings stuff....

Also been listening to a bit of Tony Rice again recently - so many beast crosspickers out there, but Tony is so musical, and the voice (as it used to be....)

Hit me up with some more stuff.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think this was my introduction to bluegrass music.

User Info Menu

Here's a couple good performances of great songs:

Dave Alvin performs Merle Haggard's "Kern River"

Iris DeMent "Our Town"

Last edited by MaxTwang; 01-06-2016 at 02:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Awesome.

And this is gold.....

User Info Menu

As guitarists, especially in America, it is a big part of the instrument's heritage.

I find as a player, with the climate of little public interest in jazz, and jazz gigs so scarce, if you try to remain a busy guitarist, you are bound to encounter it.

Some guys take up the slack of no jazz gigs by trying to teach, but for players, it means moving into other genres of music if you have a strong desire to perform music publicly, and do it with other musicians.

I've been finding that the genre represented by the term "Americana" is rich with musicians who are deep into tradition and commited to preserving it, yet moving it forward, just like jazz musicians. In a way many of the earlier styles of jazz fall into the Americana genre.

I find these musicians are more open to jazz than jazz is open to them....except for some guys like Frisell and Ribot.

User Info Menu

I love a lot of it, and play often in "classic country" type groups, everything from Hank to Waylon...one of my more interesting gigs involved learning Luther Perkins' guitar parts to about 50 Johnny Cash tunes, note for note. It's surprisingly tough to play just like him.

Hot country picking is just jazz on the back pickup

User Info Menu

And some guitar players:

Chet Atkins & Jerry Reed "Jerry's Breakdown"

Chet Atkins "Maybelle" with lesson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I think this was my introduction to bluegrass music.

Apparently , The Darlings were actually The Dillards of "Duelling Banjos" fame, among others !

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=gtrplrfla;602670]Despite his tremendous influence on country thumb and finger-pickers , Merle never seems to receive the credit he deserves outside the finger-picking community.

User Info Menu

Western swing is jazz.

User Info Menu

I love Merle Travis!

User Info Menu

I love a lot of stuff like this. Really enjoyed Asleep at the Wheel's recent outings with Willie Nelson too.

User Info Menu

Legend has it that Buddy Rich, upon having a heart attack scare, when being admitted to the hospital, was asked if he had any allergies. "Two", he said, "country, and western".

User Info Menu

Gene Watson has been called the litmus test for a country music fan.

User Info Menu

Country is where I pretty much live, so long as it's big enough to include the country blues, gospel, and western swing that I grew up on. That means Gatemouth as well as the Carter Family.

I don't even mind the "I, IV, V in the key of G" stuff that most folks think of as quintessential country. But the mix of mountain modals and blues vocabularies with Tin Pan alley changes are the coolest part of the tradition.

Billy Joe Shaver grew up with that stuff, and he uses lots of iii, vi, ii, V progressions in his songs. His son, Eddy, would do the blues players thing of cooling out the changes. Their best live performances of Old Chunk of Coal were clinics.

User Info Menu

I remember reviewing this guy's first album many moons ago and later interviewing him for some magazine. '80s? Early '90s? Can't recall. But I thought he had that high lonesome quality in his voice that I've always been drawn to.

User Info Menu

One of my favorite country songs----everyone from Steve Earle to Taj Mahal have done this one.

User Info Menu

Jerry Reed had a big hit with this one, from the movie "Smokey and the Bandit." Nice guitar solo.

User Info Menu

Both Bluegrass and Western Swing have a lot of things in common with jazz. The solos are heavily improv based and can be very adventurous.

User Info Menu

i like that ricky barnes cut. hadn't heard him before.

if the OP is looking for more stuff along the tony rice - rawlings/welch arc, the work julian lage and chris eldridge are doing is pretty cool.

my favorite norman blake tune-- julian is more restrained than usual on this one

User Info Menu

Country music is misunderstood. I live in Texas and it's amazing how many Texans have never heard of Lefty Frizzell. Not to mention Gene Watson, Moe Bandy and Johnny Rodriquez. Big stars that had lots of hits. I find it curious that this style of music is so ignored even among so called 'music heads'. To the same degree as straight ahead jazz is among mainstream society.

Nothing against the left of center stuff, but for me this is the real deal.

Supposedly Bob Dylan was obsessed with this next one and listened to it over and over. And drove way out of his way to meet Stewart at a club he was performing at. I guess this is why Dylan is the major artist that he is. Or that Blonde on Blonde is considered by many to be the greatest rock album of all time. All Nashville sidemen played on it.

Last edited by mrcee; 01-07-2016 at 09:39 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm a sucker for tex-mex stuff...Texas tornados, doug sahm...anything like that...

User Info Menu

I like Joe Ely, esp the live album he did fairly early on: rock, Tex-Mex, some blues, country, the whole shmear....

User Info Menu

I don't know if this qualifies as Tex Mex but here goes.

Here's some genuwine Tex Mex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I like Joe Ely, esp the live album he did fairly early on: rock, Tex-Mex, some blues, country, the whole shmear....
    that was a great album-- wish i'd seen that tour. he opened for the clash. the late, great jesse taylor on guitar--

the studio lp that followed, musta notta gotta lotta, is one of my favorites, too. joe still brings it-- saw him just a couple months ago.

dale and jesse