The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 55

User Info Menu

Let me start off by saying that there really are no rules. I am aware of this already. But as a general guideline what are some common rules you sort of follow in jazz?

heres one

"A tonic chord is seldom extended past the ninth. The 11th is a dissonant note, and while it may sound musical in some settings, it prevents the chord from sounding like a tonic chord."

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

Feel is everything and legends from Beethoven on have said it.

User Info Menu

Don't suck. But you have to take chances and suck, in the practice room, for a long time before you truly won't suck.

User Info Menu

"Shut up and play your guitar" - Frank Zappa

"Time On Your Instrument" - Fellow forum member Pierre Richard

User Info Menu

Trust your ear and your gut.

User Info Menu

Listen to great records when you're not playing, and when you are playing, listen to the other players.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    "Time On Your Instrument" - Fellow forum member Pierre Richard
    I love this one from Pierre...

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure I stole that from Joe Pass

User Info Menu

"the most important thing is to be around musicians that are better than you are as much as possible." - Pat Metheny

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teok
    "the most important thing is to be around musicians that are better than you are as much as possible." - Pat Metheny
    I find that advice very easy to follow.

I like what Jeff Beck said in and interview: "I just play the notes I want to hear."

User Info Menu

Go to school. Read a lot of music. Don't get on the bad side of musicologists and teachers.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 12-06-2014 at 07:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Hello.
    These take some believing but I have it on good authority that they were correct...
    The Nazis' 10 Control-Freak Rules for Jazz Performers: A Strange List from World War II | Open Culture

Music is the key that can open strange rooms in the house of memory.
    Llewelyn Wyn Griffith

User Info Menu

Wow. When shit is funny and chilling. Thanks Rhoderick...it's always good remember man is still the strangest creature to ever walk this earth.

User Info Menu

Basic rules in Jazz-franken-jpg

User Info Menu

"Ain't never gonna do it without the fez on ..."

User Info Menu

Don't share needles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoderick
    Hello.
    These take some believing but I have it on good authority that they were correct...
    The Nazis' 10 Control-Freak Rules for Jazz Performers: A Strange List from World War II | Open Culture

Music is the key that can open strange rooms in the house of memory.
    Llewelyn Wyn Griffith

That's so interesting. Thanks for sharing that. Of course I can think of a few other countries that have a similar history of racially motivated contempt for, and censorship of, certain kinds of music. Not to derail the thread but that trying to stop people from listening to certain kinds of music has been so common in history that it must reflect a certain understanding on the part of governments of the power that music can have.

User Info Menu

That's so interesting. Thanks for sharing that. Of course I can think of a few other countries that have a similar history of racially motivated contempt for, and censorship of, certain kinds of music. Not to derail the thread but that trying to stop people from listening to certain kinds of music has been so common in history that it must reflect a certain understanding on the part of governments of the power that music can have.

In Soviet Russia especially in certain periods (some in mid 20s, then 40s-50s) jazz was considered by the goverment to be hostile music - not only because it was American, but also because it was ascociated with a life-style 'inproper' to a real Soviet citizen... so there was a short propaganda verse:

Sevodnya ty igrayesh jazz
    A zavtra rodinu prodaz

Meaning litterally:

If you play jazz today,
    tomorrow your country you'll betray.

I tried to rhyme it to keep the funny spirit. That verse even now often is quoted but mostly of course ironically.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ColinO
    Like the Christian churches that burned Beatles records in the 60's. Jazz was and is probably still a no-no with some denominations. Many denominations still preach not listening to secular music. Part of the reason I worked for the church I did because Jazz was played at services occasionally and always at events. Hearing A Love Supreme in church with congregation singing along is a great experience.

User Info Menu

Jazz rules!!
    especially when you check out Bireli Lagrene playing with his band

Cest Ce Bon

Tony Steely Dan fan
    SE London

User Info Menu

Side note on the first post: Top Secret (yellowjackets) has a tonic minor 11 chord...

A rule I try to follow is that there's no such thing as a triad....

User Info Menu

Not strictly true

In fact , I have it on good authority that there are lots of 'triads' in & around China ?

Tony
    SE london

User Info Menu

Wayne Shorter says

"A lot of musicians worry about protecting what I call their musical foundation. They want to be on their Ps and Qs on stage, put their best foot forward, play their best runs, their best and try to impress people. But I'm at a point where I’m just going say, 'To hell with the rules.' That’s all I’m doing with the music now. I'm 71, I've got nothing to lose now. I'm going for the unknown."

User Info Menu

get it on Kid Charlemagne

User Info Menu

1. Style
    2. Style
    3. Style
    4. Style
    5. Style
    6. Style
    7. Style
    8. Style
    9. Style