The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 80

User Info Menu

The winner is Black Orpheus! Below is a backing track & a leadsheet. The backing track is a BIAB reatracks version with a 4 bar intro, 4 choruses & a standard tag ending.

backing track ----> Box

lead sheet ----> Box

forum input ----> Box

Also, I've included my input for this song with my wife, Colleen as the Vocalist. We were practicing for a gig last weekend and decided to use this for the forum. Comments, good or bad are always welcome and very helpful for us. I hope you enjoy it.

wiz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

thanks howie

User Info Menu

Hm, I played this one, but in the role of bass player, looking at written chord symbols. It was flute guitar and bass trio. Maybe it is the time to finaly learn the melody on guitar and put it all together?

User Info Menu

I listened to you and your wife rendition of this tune. Very nice she sings very well and your playing is excellent.

If I may have this one comment, your playing is a tad to loud over your wifes singing.

thanks
    edh

User Info Menu

Howie, I like your rendition. In contrast to edh, I don't think you are too loud when she sings, but that's because I really dig interaction in jazz, and when we post solo pieces or solos over backing tracks in this thread series, we miss that critical ingredient.

User Info Menu

Like from some movie. In fact, I think there is a movie with this song for a soundtrack?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Like from some movie. In fact, I think there is a movie with this song for a soundtrack?
    Yeah, it's called "black orpheus" ;-)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053146/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Howie, I like your rendition. In contrast to edh, I don't think you are too loud when she sings, but that's because I really dig interaction in jazz, and when we post solo pieces or solos over backing tracks in this thread series, we miss that critical ingredient.
    Thank you pkirk, Colleen & I have worked together for enough years that I often know where she is going with her vocals before she goes there. Most of the time I feel like I am playing too many notes when she is singing.

Thank you edh, I have a hard time deciding when I am too loud because my audience (mostly retired seniors) often ask me to "turn it up", LOL.

User Info Menu

I enjoy this part of the forum very much until now as a reader and listener. Very nice tunes and contributions. I don't think I am able to learn every month a new tune beside my practice plan. But I would be glad to join this group occasional for tunes, that I already know or I am able to learn in short time. Is it allowed to take part? Are there any rules to follow?

User Info Menu

No need to post every month holgit! JOIN us!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    No need to post every month holgit! JOIN us!
    Thank you, so I'll work on Black Orpheus :-)

User Info Menu

There are really no rules except we do pretty much stick to the old standards for the song choices.

wiz

User Info Menu

What?!! No Lady Gagga? You guys are soooo retro....

Jay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    The winner is Black Orpheus! Below is a backing track & a leadsheet. The backing track is a BIAB reatracks version with a 4 bar intro, 4 choruses & a standard tag ending.

backing track ----> https://app.box.com/s/0lpt76retjs18old05bu

lead sheet ----> https://app.box.com/s/ef5xqflcrv3ypkxplcah

forum input ----> https://app.box.com/s/woacgoqfdtjpd8fzjvy1

Also, I've included my input for this song with my wife, Colleen as the Vocalist. We were practicing for a gig last weekend and decided to use this for the forum. Comments, good or bad are always welcome and very helpful for us. I hope you enjoy it.

wiz
    Thanks. Is it possible to also post the BIAB backing track?

User Info Menu

Rich, It is already there as well as the lead sheet.

wiz

User Info Menu

May be he asked for BIAB format file? I don't think it'd make any good. Chords are written in the chart, not to difficult to type them into BIAB and select style of preference.

User Info Menu

Yes. I already have a version of it in my BIAB. It is a SGU or an SG4 file. I am not sure the chords are exactly the same (close I bet) but I will go with mine anyway.

User Info Menu

I'm looking at what was given to me to play bass. 3 differences:

1. There's no Intro,
    2. it's not in F, but in C instead
    3. In bar 8 of the chorus the last and the only chord is dim, there's no 7(b5) after it

Everything else is the same, but transposed to C, as mentioned.
    Last edited by Vladan; 01-09-2014 at 09:10 PM.

User Info Menu

That is what I am saying Vladan. Wouldn't life be easy if he just posted the BIAB back file itself?

User Info Menu

To be honest,
    I find the great part of fun in finding the way to play each chord as written in the carths provided, and make it all sound good to my ears.
    The path from "how in the world ..." to "oh, I see. it could be like ..." is what's important, even if where I end is not what composer, or transcriber had in mind when writting it.

I have some rules to ease it a bit. It's rather one rule, but in couple different wordings.
    There are no proposed fingerings, all and any inversions, permutations, drop and slash chords, they are equal and acceptable as long as all mentioned notes are on number. I can play notes from a chord in any order/ way I find suitable, as long as it sound good to me.
    I'm the only judge.

Untill now, I always managed, with a little help of my friends. Namely, couple of times I asked why something worked, what I could not hear, and people from the thread responded and helped me. Hopefully it'll stay so.

On the other hand, I would not know something was wrong with the chart even if it really was. Give me the Beatles fake book, or Hendrix, and I'll have problem with some (a lot) of notes over some chords, let alone Jazz stuff. I speak from experience.

User Info Menu

My first attempt at this...warts and all!

User Info Menu

Guys Wiz does a great job on this thread, and doesn't get a great deal of thanks for it. He helps guys that can't do their own tracks to participate. If you already have BiaB, why don't you do your own??? That way you'll get just what you want, form, tempo, key, and changes. Perhaps even offer to help each month?? For my hats off to Wiz for all the time and effort he alone puts in..

Tom..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rowland
    My first attempt at this...warts and all!

Very nice Eric.

User Info Menu

Hey, I didn't ask him to kill his first born! What's up with you guys? Here is a copy of my Black Orpheus for BIAB. It doesn't have the BIAB generated intro and it is in D since that is the key our vocalist likes. Are there any chords that you disagree with? If not, then the rest of you can feel free to use it. jeez.

https://app.box.com/s/pj51y273syv9qmnq7t97
    Last edited by richb2; 01-10-2014 at 10:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Ok, here I go:

after many time reading (and listening) the "Practical Standard" series, here is my first post. First of all, thanks for all of them, congrats to all of you (very good players here), and sorry for the mistakes. Of course, criticisms are welcome!
    Attached Files Attached Files