The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

For quite a while I had been casually looking at 175's, looking to scratch a long standing itch. My first archtop was an ES-165 Herb Ellis. After a few years, I sold it to fund a new GB10. Still have the GB and its a winner. That was over 20 years ago and I always wanted to get another 165 or 175. Funny how we miss the sound and feel of certain guitars.

I narrowed my search to 175's that were in reasonably good condition and had Mahogany back and sides. Some of the nicer examples were made during the 80's, but asking prices were all way too high in my view. Finally, one came available that ticked all of the boxes, wasn't abused and was priced close enough to my budger to take a chance. The seller and I worked out a fair price and within a week I had a 'new to me' 1989 ES-175D Mahogany.

After setting it up with a fresh set of 12 gauge flatwounds, adjusting intonation, truss rod, pickup height, etc., she came to life. Sounds and plays great.

Here she is!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very Nice! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Congrats, when I was youngster that was the first electric I purchased.
    It was located a good distance away, couple trains and a bus ride.
    Nearly got mugged by 5 guys on the way home but dashing into a fast food joint saved my bacon and the guitar. Jimmy Bruno bought it from me yrs later after I scored my first L5. (fortunately that came from my neighborhood)
    Enjoy that one GF, looks great!

User Info Menu

A blond beauty! May she inspire your playing for many years to come!

User Info Menu

A beautiful ES-175 for sure. Congratulations and enjoy!

User Info Menu

Thank you, gentlemen. I am having a great time getting to know this beauty.

User Info Menu

Happy New Guitar Day - blonde ES guitars rule! Play her in good health!
    Last edited by TOMMO; 06-14-2020 at 02:46 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Congrats Gitterbug and welcome to the club of 175 owners - great looking guitar. My 1961 (PAFs) sound great both through the Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb and the TC BAM200! I'm sure yours will too. Enjoy it :-)

User Info Menu

You might find that your new 175 is all the guitar you will ever really need.
    My friends are all on notice that if I EVER make moves to sell my 165, they are all coming to my house to beat the crap out of me.
    Congratulations and I hope you enjoy that guitar for the rest of time. It’s a beauty!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Beautiful example ! I have noticed prices skyrocketing since the 175 demise in 2017. Wise acquisition. The mahogany version has a very warm sweetness about it. Congrats !
    The 175 and L5 will always be the iconic jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

As good as it gets - and a reference for any jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new addition! I have an 89 ES 175 Sunburst with mahogany that I bought a dozen years ago. Its a great guitar! I looked around for quite awhile before I found it. The only changes I have made to it are the tuners - replaced with vintage correct ones that are identical to the originals; and I swapped out the bridge for a Rosewood bridge that came off a 1959 ES 175. While I don't play it as much as I did before, every time I do I am pleasantly reminded why I bought it. Play yours in good health for many decades to come.

User Info Menu

What a beauty! Congrats and enjoy every single note you will play.

Best.

User Info Menu

Great combination with the amp too. Beautiful.

User Info Menu

You guys are the best.

So many nice comments deserve another beauty shot!

Oh, the amp is a great sounding late 90's Fender Blues Jr. (first run, green board, BillM mods, w/Sultone maple/purpleheart custom cab).

User Info Menu

That is a beauty shot indeed!
    Man that guitar looks good.

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar! Congratulations! I own her cousin - also a blonde 1989. After buying and selling five others over the past several years, I found this one, which has quickly become my #1. The mahogany sounds like butter. However, when I started gigging with it in a combo and a jazz orchestra, I found that it was a little dark and had trouble clearly cutting through. I tried swapping out the 300k volume pots for 500k Bourns. Although it brightened it up, it lost some of its magic tone, so I put the 300ks back in. I brought the guitar to Lindy Fralin, who lives not far from me. He wound for me a set of his Pure PAFs. And oh my word, they are so clear and open without being bright. When I play the guitar acoustically and then bring in the neck pick-up, the tone hardly changes.

I've said many times before, I think these late-80s 175s are some of the best guitars for the price out there. Congrats again!

User Info Menu

I love a mahogany ES-175. I mean, the maples are great too, but something about mahogany does something to the tone...

Show us a lovely backside if you feel like it sometime...

Congrats, Gitfiddler! Long may she run!

User Info Menu

Nice guitar!

Yes, blondes have more fun.

I foolishly sold my 1981 175 years ago. I still pine for it, uh, mahogany for it...

That cab is next-level cool. I use purpleheart as an accent in cutting boards I make. The figure on that maple is outstanding as well.

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I love a mahogany ES-175. I mean, the maples are great too, but something about mahogany does something to the tone...

Show us a lovely backside if you feel like it sometime...

Congrats, Gitfiddler! Long may she run!

She does have a lovely backside!

User Info Menu

Very nice acquisition! I still have my ES-165 but picked up a 1984 ES-175 about a year ago and love it. I think the mahogany back and sides with the particular pickups (I think Shaw's) sound just glorious. A bit warmer and more mellow than my 165.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the ES175 club Git! She's a beauty! I'm very content with my SB! Congrats!

User Info Menu

2B~ You and all of the other happy 175 owners on this site were part of the reason I decided to intensify my search. (No blame...just sincere appreciation and respect for all of the talented players here!)

I read darn near every thread that mentioned them on this forum dating back several years. The consistently positive comments about the Mahogany bodied models caused my focus to narrow, eventually leading me to this sweet instrument. I also recalled the amazing guitarist who was in a jazz band I played bass in some 20 years ago, owned a great sounding sunburst Mahogany ES-175. Man, what a tone!

Now during my ES-175 honeymoon period, my Heritage and Ibanez archtops are quite jealous LOL. But they know I still love em.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    You guys are the best.

So many nice comments deserve another beauty shot!

Oh, the amp is a great sounding late 90's Fender Blues Jr. (first run, green board, BillM mods, w/Sultone maple/purpleheart custom cab).

Nice rig man ....

i've one of those mk1 green board Blues juniors too
    mine is in an original non lackered tweed cab ....
    the 'fat' switch is great on those

great amps .... I expect you're getting a really full fatness sound
    with the Hog 175 !

Very deco pretty too .....

User Info Menu

Congrats. She’s a beauty. Enjoy.