The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Hi Jazz afficionados,

Just committed a new video with my Gibson ES-175CC. This guitar is from 1980. I bought it in 1987 when I decided to seriously study jazz guitar. It's a one-trick-poney but a very good and reliable poney.

It's there:

Here I am playing one of my favorite bossas, Estate, composed by italian musician Bruno Martino. I usually sing it on stage, but not here...

Hope you'll enjoy the tone of it.

Best to you and your music.
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 03-02-2020 at 12:47 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh my God Fred!
    That is not good, it is great. The tone is like dark chocolate. The lines especially around the 4 minute mark are extraordinary! Guys you gotta listen to this video straight through. Our guy puts on a clinic here. Showing how to build up an improvisational run tastefully, with just enough pizazz to keep you interested. It just keeps getting better and better.
    You crushed it Fred. I REALLY enjoyed that.
    Thanks for proving once again why the ES175 is the benchmark. The pinnacle for Jazz music.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

N-i-c-e-!

User Info Menu

Excellent playing, Fred! And, that’s an instrument that is near the top of my want list. I played one in a local store once and liked it a lot, but it wasn’t in the best condition and I would have had to give up too much to get it. Maybe next time! That’s a beautiful tune. One of my favorites.

User Info Menu

Fred, your videos are always a big highlight around here. Beautiful.
    Bravo Sir and as usual nice scarf .

User Info Menu

Lovely, just lovely.

User Info Menu

My dream guitar, no doubt. (and also I wish I could play like this)

User Info Menu

Fred,

I used to play a 175/CC. Honestly, I didn't play it as well as you do, but I just loved the guitar. Like you say, "one trick pony." But WHAT a trick.

Great playing, Fred.

User Info Menu

Thank You! Your playing and tone is so inspiring to a beginner like myself.

User Info Menu

That's lovely Fred ,
    i tried out and would have bought , had I the funds ...
    a re-issue es150cc many years ago ....

it sounded a very like your 175CC

I'd like a CC guitar some day if I get the coin together
    Ibanez may produce one ....hopefully soon

User Info Menu

I remember in 1979 when these 175's came out we were scratching our heads as to why is Gibson putting these old junk outdated pickups on 175's. Most of them were stamped 2 and we figured someone at Gibson found a really old box of unused pickups and just matched them up with factory 2nd's hoping they would sell. They were dirt cheap as I remember back then. Now they are Holy Grail jazz boxes and fetch a pretty price. Back then no one wanted P90's either. Now a P90 or CC jazz box is a dream come true guitar. Funny how the past can reinvent itself. Vinyl records are making a big comeback too. I kept my bell bottom blue jeans but they don't fit no more.....LOL :-).

User Info Menu

Dear jazz guitar nuts,

Thanks a lot for your supporting comments. I believe the Polytone Babybrute is the ideal companion to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    They were dirt cheap as I remember back then. Now they are Holy Grail jazz boxes and fetch a pretty price.
    In 1987, I got my first job. I decided to devote my first paycheck to the purchase of a jazz archtop. I went to Paris, to what was, and still is, the pinacle of vintage guitar shop. There, I saw hanging on the wall a bunch of incredible guitars: blonde Super 400, L5 CES, and many more. It was like being in heaven. Back in these days, I was playing an Ovation Legend and I really wanted an archtop to dig into the music of Jimmy Raney, Barney Kessel and my other heroes. I asked to the shopkeeper. How much do you have, he said? I told him roughly. Well, that's not bad, he answered, but these guitars are quite expensive, ya know. Back to reality, I couldn't afford these archtops. I was about to leave sadly when I saw this 175CC. It was a second-hand, like new. The sunburst was dark, not very appealing, but I tried it and the sound was there. Now these birds are highly sought after, but, as Vinny says, back in these days…

Cheers.

User Info Menu

I posted this in Gustavo's ngd L-5 thread but the only thing I like better than the guitar is your playing, nice!
    and I know the 'how much do you have on you question'. I bought my first L-5, a '69 CES from a shop owner that asked me that same question, and I walked out w/it, still my main player 30 yrs later, been on a zillion gigs. the shop owner passed a few months ago, he was quite the character, legendary around here, when you went into that place w/all the guitars hanging from the ceiling, L-5's, Super 400's, Artist Awards, etc it was like being a kid in a candy shop, you had to go to NY to beat that. and you better be ready to know how to negotiate or you'd get run over
    .... rip Benny Cintioili...

User Info Menu

That was wonderful. Man, do I have a lonnnggg, lonnnggg, lonnnggg, way to go to play like that. I'm 70 y/o. Don't know if I have enough time left to ever play like that. I've played guitar for well over 5 decades and I'm a really good bluegrass flat picker. But I've just started on seriously learning to play jazz. I've played swing and jump on and off for well over 20 years but not full time, fully committed jazz. But I'll work hard on it. Only God knows how far I'll get.

I have an Eastman AR 580CE (for jazz) and Fender '60s Modified Vintera Tele (my "all around" guitar) coming as I type this. Until now I haven't owned any electric instruments for over 10 years. I just traded a banjo for the guitars mentioned above and a Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb amp. Now if I could just purchase a big scoop of jazz guitar knowledge and skills I'd be all set. I've already learned 10 new jazz chords. Can't wait to get started on the rest.
    Last edited by jumpnblues; 03-04-2020 at 10:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I remember in 1979 when these 175's came out we were scratching our heads as to why is Gibson putting these old junk outdated pickups on 175's. Most of them were stamped 2 and we figured someone at Gibson found a really old box of unused pickups and just matched them up with factory 2nd's hoping they would sell. They were dirt cheap as I remember back then. Now they are Holy Grail jazz boxes and fetch a pretty price. Back then no one wanted P90's either. Now a P90 or CC jazz box is a dream come true guitar. Funny how the past can reinvent itself. Vinyl records are making a big comeback too. I kept my bell bottom blue jeans but they don't fit no more.....LOL :-).
    Yep, in 1980 I paid $800 for my 1979 ES175CC, w/case and it isn't a second! Still play it, love that guitar.

User Info Menu

Fred. This was simply wonderful! It really was a tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing your gift...and your guitar as well.

User Info Menu

What is your recording set up Fred?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    What is your recording set up Fred?
    Guitar --> reverb pedal (Mad Professor) --> Polytone Baby Brute (flat EQ) --> Shure SM57 in front of amp --> Digital Audio Interface (Focusrite Liquid 56) --> Digital Audio Workstation (Sonar).

The backing track is from J. Aebersold series (vol. 94) where I have removed the piano track (always on right chanel in Aebersold series).

Once I've mixed up the guitar and backing tracks I always do a mastering step with T-RackS 3 software (a touch of compression).

The video is recorded with my IPhone 7.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 03-07-2020 at 01:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Loved your tone and the playing. You gave me something to work on - i’m stealing your voicings...

best regards,

bruno.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brubra
    You gave me something to work on - i’m stealing your voicings...

best regards,

bruno.
    You're more than welcome. Can't tell you the number of licks ans solos I've stolen on records (at a time when the internet wasn't invented...), and I'm still stealin' around.

I recently found an ES-175 CC that seems to be in very good condition. A luthier I know has serviced it for years.

It is stamped "SECOND" and its serial number indicates it's a 1979.

It was owned by a collector and seems fairly lightly played.

The luthier says the CC pickup is the original and the guitar hasn't been modified.

Does anyone know what something like this would fetch on eBay? I did a search and couldn't find many examples.

Thanks. 86general

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Hi Jazz afficionados,

Just committed a new video with my Gibson ES-175CC. This guitar is from 1980. I bought it in 1987 when I decided to seriously study jazz guitar. It's a one-trick-poney but a very good and reliable poney.

It's there:

Here I am playing one of my favorite bossas, Estate, composed by italian musician Bruno Martino. I usually sing it on stage, but not here...

Hope you'll enjoy the tone of it.

User Info Menu

Great song, great playing, great tone, great guitar. I love those 175CC. I’ve said it before but your vids of CC-equipped guitars spurred me on to get one of my own. Thanks for the excellent demo.