The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I need someone to give me a thorough explanation of guitar scales. I've read around the internet but its still confusing me. A link to a site with more about it would also be helpful. Anything that you could tell me about music theory also would be appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi summer12!

Can you be a bit more specific? What are your immediate goals?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The long and the short of it, guitar scales enable the guitar to glide through the water and also provide protection. They are common on most guitar fish and come in many different colours.
    Welcome to the forum!

David

Guitar Scales/music theory?-screen-shot-2018-01-11-10-04-34-am-png

User Info Menu

Surely that's Bass?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Surely that's Bass?
    Stated with such authority. Are you with a particular school?

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Stated with such authority. Are you with a particular school?

David
    Only the Yehudi Menufin school.

User Info Menu

and the royal acodemy

User Info Menu

Surely that's Bass?
    with Max Roach on drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by summer12
    I need someone to give me a thorough explanation of guitar scales. I've read around the internet but its still confusing me. A link to a site with more about it would also be helpful. Anything that you could tell me about music theory also would be appreciated.
    1) 2) The site you are currently reading has lessons, articles, and a number of threads with a wealth of information for beginners of all levels. I myself have been a beginner for several decades. I'm beginning to make some progress, I think. Good luck!

User Info Menu

So what is with this phenomenon of people posting questions like this and then disappearing? Is it some sort of phishing thing?

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    So what is with this phenomenon of people posting questions like this and then disappearing? Is it some sort of phishing thing?

John
    I’m phucked if I know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

John
    Over the years here I've notice so ask questions looking for a specific answer, my guess is to justify their position somewhere else. Others ask and the answers are more than they are ready for. Then the typical internet and after about a page of replies the threads start drifting different directions or arguments break out, that happens here a lot. Last they had posted the question on multiple sites, got an answer they are happy with elsewhere and just don't come back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Over the years here I've notice so ask questions looking for a specific answer, my guess is to justify their position somewhere else. Others ask and the answers are more than they are ready for. Then the typical internet and after about a page of replies the threads start drifting different directions or arguments break out, that happens here a lot. Last they had posted the question on multiple sites, got an answer they are happy with elsewhere and just don't come back.
    Well I notice the username is summer12. So maybe this is a 12 year old and mom took away his internet privileges.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    more importantly,what are guitar scales?
    Let me put it this weigh, my Les Paul is 8 lbs. How do you think I came to that conclusion?
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Others ask and the answers are more than they are ready for. .
    But WHY?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by summer12
    "guitar scales" are... scales on guitar.
    scales are set of notes picked from 12 available ones.
    music theory is all about how to manipulate those 12 notes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz

But WHY?

No TAB

Could be a lot of answers to that all depending on the person and what they were hoping for. What was the line from that movie... Don't ask question you don't really want the answer to.

User Info Menu

I weigh guitars on a regular scale.

But, if you're talking about fingering scales on guitar, there are a lot of different approaches.

Three approaches worth examining are the Segovia Scales (which include some interesting position shifts that jazz guys don't usually mention), Jimmy Bruno's approach (I got it from him -- I don't know if he originated it) and Chuck Wayne's approach. Jimmy and Chuck finger things differently. Warren Nunes also had an approach, which I recall somewhere in between.

They all work. And remember, whatever you do, the bottlenecks are eventually going to be in the picking hand.

User Info Menu

Repeat after me: you can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish, even though it's got scales ...

John

User Info Menu

Only the Yehudi Menufin school.
    be careful... you can become one of 'they'

User Info Menu

(wolf has on flameproof clothing and is in a 3 inch steel plated tank like vehicle)

it sure smells a bit fishy in here