The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Has anyone used the (Rick) Beato book? Goes for $47 (occasionally discounted during his live youtube sessions.) Worth the price of admission?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Bought it, it's all hand written, didn't inspire me do dig in, lots of stuff, I got more from his videos.

User Info Menu

I got it also because Rick said the answer to the question I was asking was in the book, I still can't find the answer. The book collects a lot of digital dust for me. Rick knows a lot and if he'd work with a ghost write could probably put out some good reference books.

User Info Menu

Rick does have discounts, lately a few times a week. When he does his Live Youtube talks he gives a discount code for his books and pdf collections. Subscribe to Rick Beato Youtube channel and click the Bell icon to get notifications and you can get a discount code.

User Info Menu

you have me half way curious........what was the question you asked him?

User Info Menu

That's disappointing. I think he's great. But a great mind and great speaker doesn't necessarily make for a great author.

User Info Menu

There is a lot of information in the book as far as I can remember lots of chord scale theory, lots of modal stuff all hand written. I’m sure there is a wealth of info but it was just not for me...

User Info Menu

I like his Videos also and his Theory Concepts.

I was very impressed with his Modal Modulations ( and some of the Piano Chords which are reachable on Guitar.

BUT - he is so C.S.T. oriented that he calls any Major type chord with a flat five a ' Lydian Chord ' or Minor b6 an Aeolian Chord ...

As opposed to his Video where there is an actual Semitone in a Phrygian Chord just like in the Mode itself.

So is it Standard to call ANY Major 7th with a flat fifth a ' Lydian Chord 'as he often does ?
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 02-12-2018 at 12:40 PM.

User Info Menu

I watch a lot of his video's and wanted to contribute something so I bought the book. Took a look, it's handwritten, that's all I can say about it. I'm not that interested in going through another theory book. I wish there was recording/engineering stuff in the book, there isn't. He is so knowledgable in not just music but also recording/engineering.

User Info Menu

I am interested in advanced Modulations and specialty Chord Voicings , I was very impressed by his Video on Modal Modulations.

Some of his Keyboard Voicings are a bit of a s- t-r-
    e-tch on Guitar but are cool and versatile.

He is an advanced Theorist..a little CST obsessed lol

Chord Scale "Theory "... .not what I need nor crave...

User Info Menu

He's an interesting guy with a different way of presenting himself than other youtubers. His channel keeps coming up on lots of my google searches.

And with 225,000 followers he must be doing something right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup
    He's an interesting guy with a different way of presenting himself than other youtubers. His channel keeps coming up on lots of my google searches.

And with 225,000 followers he must be doing something right.
    Yes he has a really wide view of Theory IMO -

Wow..that's a lot of followers- I hope he makes money from the Ads and Traffic versus being ripped off like most musicians on the Internet.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 02-12-2018 at 12:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    Yes he has a really wide view of Theory IMO -

Wow..that's a lot of followers- I hope he makes money from the Ads and Traffic versus being ripped off like most musicians on the Internet.
    He says he makes money from the sale of his products, only peanuts from his blog videos.

Watch this starting at 10:00 he talks about million of plays on youtube for songs he was involved in about 40 songs (as a songwriter, publishing...). "Just nothing, nothing... Five dollars and seven cents for millions of plays"... "There you go, there's your career in the music business."

User Info Menu

Wow, his youtube followers have gone up 25,000 to 250,000 in one month!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    He says he makes money from the sale of his products, only peanuts from his blog videos.

Watch this starting at 10:00 he talks about million of plays on youtube for songs he was involved in about 40 songs (as a songwriter, publishing...). "Just nothing, nothing... Five dollars and seven cents for millions of plays"... "There you go, there's your career in the music business." ...
    Millions of plays on YT? What does it really mean? It is less people reached than with couple of plays on some NYC based FM station. What are we talking about?

YT is not platform for selling music. It's platform for selling advertising space. Your clips on YT are advertising space. Billboards along the highway. Since your billboards are located on YT owned highway, YT sells it then splits the money with you as agreed beforehand.

Does he say how much he earns from adds displayed over his YT clips?
    It's easy to calculate. On average, one small independent YT channel without many followers used to earn about 1$ per 1000 views. Views and earnings are not so directly connected, but in larger numbers it levels that way. Larger the channel, more subscribers ... you get better adds over your clips, so you earn more.
    Ads served over music clips are generally of the cheapest kind. Hammering nails, or jumping on one leg are considered more worthy space by advertisers.

FYI, YT just kicked small channels from earning scheme. Now, channel have to collect at least 4000 watching hours in previous 365 days and to have at least 1000 subscribers in total, to be allowed to participate, i.e. for YT to let commercials show over your clips.

Don't be sucker for verbose snake oil sellers.

User Info Menu

@Fep thanks for posting Rick's clip about Making a Living 2018 style.

I've watched about 30 minutes of the full 90 minutes.

It's really interesting to hear how a successful muso is dealing with the internet. And his analysis of where the money comes from.

The more I see of Rick the more I like him. Knowledgeable, fresh, direct, informative.

User Info Menu

Back to the Beato book.

Rick has been in the process of completely type setting the book, making upgrades to existing material
    and adding some new content, including some tests for the reader to work through.

This has been going on for the last several months and is nearing completion.

When the new edition drops, it will be offered to buyers of the original edition for whatever you want to pay.
    A generous move from a giving and generous guy.

.....Oh, and I have no affiliation to Rick Beato other than enjoying his YouTube channels enormously.
    That, and wanting him to do well.

User Info Menu

I like a lot of the information from his Youtube Channel ..
    especially the Harmonic Concepts.

If the book is largely CST , not too interested in that.

Not sure if Rick is into specialized voicings for Guitar
    etc...his coolest ones are on the Piano ...

User Info Menu

As a Writer who can already play..I am interested in advanced harmonic concepts which I I think Beatto
    seems to be more interested in ...except he is definitely a CST guy so he talks about scales scales scales a lot ...but he has interesting and useful ideas about voicings which he talks about in addition to the scales scales scales part.

But I should also take another look at Modern Harmony books I suppose which I have not done for a long time..I am exploring voicings on my own ...etc

But Rick had a really cool Advanced Theory Section on Keyboard which is playable on Guitar somewhat
    where he mentioned Modal Chords of a type where there is a half step in the CHORD corresponding to the Half Step in it's MODE.

Now you aren't going to use these on Tin Pan Alley ( love that bad name ) Tunes but on modern stuff *R&BeBop etc. arpeggiated to soften the dissonance etc. semitone chords can sound cool )

*Please remember you heard this here first,lol.

BeBop and especially post Bebop seems to have a lot of Gratuitious faux momentary Key Changes which only seem to exist to challenge the Soloist by interrupting the Melodic Line.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 03-02-2018 at 08:37 AM.

User Info Menu

What some people call chord scale theory is really nothing more than a way to help keep the information organized in your minds eye. Anyway I have an educational video by Joe Pass where he actually recommends it (without using the name chord scale theory though that's exactly what he's recommending and said that it's what he uses).

If it's good enough for Joe Pass to use then its good enough for me and if it's good enough for Joe Pass then I don't care what some schmuck on a forum says about it. Joe put his stamp of approval on it in that instructional video and that's more than good enough for me period.

User Info Menu

There’s no way to preview his book so buy carefully unless you have $30 - $50 laying around to burn. The book is HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY on theory - and without a lot of context. Deep theory is introduced in one, maybe two sentences, then followed in some cases by tens of pages of diagrams and stuff that you are left to interpret all on your own. A third year music major in Uni could use this - but my guess is that 90%+ of buyers won’t know what in the world to do with it. Pass it by unless you want DEEP DEEP DEEP theory with little context.

User Info Menu

The Beato “Book” (more on that in a minute) in my opinion, is only able to really help a narrow slice of players and learners. Players who are already fairly well steeped in theory (REAL theory) and learners who don’t need much context.
    First - it’s not really a Book. It’s more like a self-directed manual. it has LOTS of diagrams that are all over the internet and VERY little context. DEEP subjects are shown, taking tens of pages, with in some cases only one or two sentences of context.
    It’s DEEP DEEP DEEP in theory - while it might be applicable to a second year music school student, I think it will miss the mark for about 95% of other learners.
    It’s THIN THIN THIN in practice suggestions or lessons (think opposite of Mel Bay books).
    Ultimately, I spent the money and wished I hadn’t - not right for me, and without a preview option, like Amazon has, you have to buy at risk. Just be thoughtful about how much a self learner you are and how much you want to really really wade through theory.
    Unfortunately, Rick hawks the book without explaining who it might help - and his very approachable style on his videos make people think the book will be equally approachable - it won’t.

User Info Menu

Interesting ...the kind of Theory I want now is an advancement of what I do now ...more with 'advanced' chord connection and voicings and new types of modulations not based on V- I , vii -I but still 'inside ' sounding.

His video on Modal Chords ( which is NOT like Classical Harmony ) with the half step in the CHORD identifying the Chord JUST like in the MODE -was very cool ...they are a stretch physically on Guitar but a cool resource.

I am playing around with partially quartal chords - many are 'normal ' enough sounding to fit a Rolling Stones tune or Steely Dan etc but are more ambiguous ( as are all the Major b5 or Major #11 with both 5ths etc etc ) .
    These can lead to nice 'bridges' or transitions in Composition OR get me back to the Home Key from left field lol.

I think Beatto might be great for this ( especially on Keyboard - and me finding voicings on Guitar )- but not sure if he's cataloged it properly to communicate to others ( me lol ).

I call Cadences that are not Dominant but still resolve 'Soft Cadences ' but it's kind of a new subject and I HATE the Pivot Chord Concept - an absolute conceptual Brick Wall Fog layer of thought to prevent understanding distant Modulations...lol.

So I appreciate the warning on the Beatto Book ..still suspect he'd be great for this if he thought it through....

I think Vincent Percicetti said in his book 20th Century Harmony ( I need to maybe buy that and look at it NOW ) -

'Any chord can follow any other chord ' - but there are tricks to make it sound better ..obviously .
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 06-16-2018 at 09:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    Interesting ...the kind of Theory I want now is an advancement of what I do now ...more with 'advanced' chord connection and voicings and new types of modulations not based on V- I , vii -I but still 'inside ' sounding.

'Any chord can follow any other chord ' - but there are tricks to make it sound better ..obviously .

interesting, as a composer, i am getting quite close at being able to make any chord follow any chord,
    something not discussed is the rhythm, that can/does alter the connectability or resolving ( for want of a word) we all know and hear this in a melody

Shorter & Frank Z both master's of this,
    although FZ did not use Bop or b5 harmony much,( Augmented oh yes)

Re- V- I , vii -I but still 'inside ' sounding. both FZ Shorter use this but it is disguised/camouflaged

FZ Lydian rocking backing and forth between two chords without needing to resolve, there's a clue for you.

A lot of WS stuff ie seemingly unconnected chords harmony etc etc is in fact almost diatonic its the Root movement that foxes one, not much travelling up a fourth ( of course there is, i am generalizing)

Rather like Melodic Minor harmony, change name of Root and hey presto. (Holdsworth in many instances)

User Info Menu

@Durban - a nice place to be ...

Nice call on the Rhythm ....because the Rhythm and Grooves are in many ways ( especially for me ) what
    breathes life into these chords .

Sometimes it seems they 'connect ' by common tones and some foreign tones. And then the foreign tones are supplying tension release depending on intervals ( but non dominant ) ,

Sometimes they 'connect' by chromatic tones creating false leading tones ( non dominant ) .

Sometimes they 'connect ' by resolving non dominant tritones [ major flat five types ] to the target chord in different ways .

But these are not like root progressions - they obviously can be smoother with common tones and stepwise motion but they are much broader ways to construct harmonic rhythms and 'new ' chord successions and cadences based on tension release (or not ) and are separate from Roman Numeral type
    Progressions and conventional root movement...they don't need to be ' outside ' sounding either .

And there are the step beyond secondary dominants where the tritone is resolving to an extension of the destination or target chord ( like when we improvise but ) doing it Harmonically in the chord succession.

[ for my purposes if it's a Roman Numeral type thing I call it a Progression if it's not I call it a ' succession ']

I am experimenting and using these ideas and trying to 'catalog ' them but there isn't much mention of these in the ' Theory ' books .

My 'ear ' is feeding me most of these but it seems like uncharted territory .

Write your own cadences and figure out why they work later ...lol.

Zappa may have been a 'master ' of this but he composed ' Musician's Music ' polyrhythms odd meters not what I call super strong grooves - I -I am not playing the ' Music School Game ' ( maybe chops abuse somewhat lol ) but making it sound good and feel good and break some fresh ground is the thing for me..
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 06-17-2018 at 11:35 AM.