The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

i haven't heard of this guy, though I suppose I should have.This is a lot of theory in a short time, lots to think about! I watched a couple of his other vids, very interesting stuff.
    Last edited by RClegg; 06-07-2017 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Need to delete--Looks like it duplicates info from farther down the list

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

sorry, didn't know the same thread was below!!

User Info Menu

The guy June asking the questions is pretty amazing in his transcribing Jacob include the microtonal parts.

User Info Menu

I dig it! Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RClegg
    i haven't heard of this guy, though I suppose I should have.This is a lot of theory in a short time, lots to think about! I watched a couple of his other vids, very interesting stuff.
    It appears he has done the work so I will give Mr. Collier his inflated sense of self. Is he really covering fresh new ground?

User Info Menu

I am unqualified to answer that question. It is thought provoking if nothing else, and new for me!

User Info Menu

I am unqualified to answer that question. It is thought provoking if nothing else, and new for me!
    I certainly agree with interesting and thought provoking. New to me also. I only ask the question to determine if the bravado is justified. Perhaps it is irrelevant. If I had never heard a C triad, and he was the one who played it for me, I might mistakenly think he discovered it. I need some sleep...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EGad
    It appears he has done the work so I will give Mr. Collier his inflated sense of self. Is he really covering fresh new ground?

Jacob says he is self-taught, but comes from a family of classical musicians and music teachers, so he's been exposed to a lot of music his whole life. He sounds like the old Jazz cat I get to hear talk he says he's never studied formal theory or even own harmony book like you'd see in a school. But he has studied on his own and can go into great detail on music and related subjects back to Palestrina and in last talk we mentioning people before Palestrina. Howard Robert was similar in he constant self study of psychology and other sciences. I have a lot of respect for people who on their own study music and the branch into related fields and observe how they relate.

User Info Menu

He is singing those stacked chords and scales in pitch without a piano or any reference note.
    That's impressive on its own .......let alone his incredible knowledge.

User Info Menu

Obviously has Absolute Pitch. but also a switched on, enquiring mind. Is he a hot Jazz player as well?

User Info Menu

It's always good to hear talented people's thoughts on music and theory Video from a masterclass in Norway:

Better recorded parts from that day will be posted by this guy:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Obviously has Absolute Pitch. but also a switched on, enquiring mind. Is he a hot Jazz player as well?
    The way that guy improvises and reharmonises on the spot is just beyond most I've ever heard. I can't find much of it on Youtube, but hearing him do standards is lovely. There are obviously those that are better technically, and deeper into certain styles, but there's only so much time for a 22 year old...already being a very good bassist, drummer and pianist ++.

User Info Menu

i haven't heard of this guy, though I suppose I should have.
    Dude I'm not sure how you managed to post this then, because it basically means you haven't been on the internet in the past 2 years

User Info Menu

The cellist in my group Balagan (Shirley Smart) was his jazz/improvisation teacher for a year when he was at Junior Royal College. Apparently he started the year having only just begun piano (I think he started on vocals and drums IIRC) and by the end of the year was good enough to gig.

Also, as the class was basically full of pianists, she chucked a cello at him and basically said 'see what you can do with this.' Needless to say he was able to work it out (!).

User Info Menu

I think he's a absolute genius, and I really like hearing him talk about this stuff.

It makes me wish I had any interest in his music, but it's just so "busy" to me. It's the exact opposite of what I like. But that's my problem, not his.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I think he's a absolute genius, and I really like hearing him talk about this stuff.

It makes me wish I had any interest in his music, but it's just so "busy" to me. It's the exact opposite of what I like. But that's my problem, not his.
    Yeah it's not my cup of tea (good Brit idiom there), but you can't knock him...

User Info Menu

I would say this - from what I've seen Collier doesn't appear to be a ensemble kind of guy. That's an important aspect to being a jazz musician, for me. In this sense he is more classical composer/improviser than jazz composer/improviser.

As he seems to hear everything in his head, so to collaborate with other improvisors in the jazz way requires musicians that understand where he is coming from (good luck with that, although there may be a few) or for Jacob to learn take a step back from the intricate musical designs only he can hear and let others in to change them.

Whether or not he follows a path of relinquishing control in this way will be interesting to see.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Yeah it's not my cup of tea (good Brit idiom there), but you can't knock him...
    Yeah, I'd say "Not my bag." You Brits have a way of making things sound nicer. Except in your abundant use of "twat."

But yeah, Collier, I'd never knock him...that cat's on another level, harmonically. I hope he doesn't get pressured to prove his "jazz" credibility, that's really not who he is. People hear the extended harmony and they're all "oooh, jazz!" but Collier's a smart pop musician. He's a Stevie Wonder.

User Info Menu

Jacob and this generation have grown up with much tech available to play around with, without ever
    making a phone call or leaving home.This has assisted him in both growing his musicianship and in crafting
    and presenting via internet his arranging ideas. Given his versatile skills and vision, he is able to cover quite
    a bit of ground. He seems to like people just fine, and I suspect will collaborate with others.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    This, for me. Great stuff!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    The cellist in my group Balagan (Shirley Smart) was his jazz/improvisation teacher for a year when he was at Junior Royal College. Apparently he started the year having only just begun piano (I think he started on vocals and drums IIRC) and by the end of the year was good enough to gig.
    Your assumptions are false, here he is at age 17 with his Mom.

Last edited by rintincop; 06-12-2017 at 10:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Yup, seems he was a beautiful jazz player at 17.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Yup, seems he was a beautiful jazz player at 17.
    This would have been around 7-8 years ago.
    Last edited by christianm77; 06-13-2017 at 04:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Your assumptions are false, here he is at age 17 with his Mom.

I'm assuming English is not your first language here. If it is, your reply gives the impression that you didn't really read my post properly before replying which is annoying. Anyway:

Firstly, I was relating an anecdote from a friend who knows Jacob, and related the story in that vein, so I made no assumptions, right or wrong.

So even if I was demonstrably wrong, to say 'your assumptions are false' is not really correct usage. Perhaps you misunderstand the meaning of the word 'assumption.'

You should more correctly say, 'your story must be wrong.'

To give another example, I did make an assumption at the beginning of my post, that English is not your mother tongue. So in this case you could correctly say; 'your assumption is true/false.'

Secondly, and on the other hand, I can correctly say that 'your assumptions are false', because you made the assumption that my friend was Jacob's teacher after he was 17. In fact he was in her class (at JUNIOR Royal College) in 2009-2010.

Jacob is 22 now.
    Last edited by christianm77; 06-13-2017 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Extra pedantry

User Info Menu

The 2nd part of his theory discussion is really stunning. Don't get confused with harmony part and temperation details and wait for the groove part !!!! YEAH he is a true musical genius: