The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

I suspect he got that Moroccan groove from Barak Schmool as well. It's very cool, I'll have to ask some of my friends about it who do the Moroccan thing...

Great stuff anyway, thanks for sharing.

The rhythmic polyrhythm stuff on 5 subdivision stuff is quite fun too...
    Last edited by christianm77; 07-01-2017 at 08:44 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I actually think the best of that video for me is when he's talking about how he learned to hear harmony and notes...

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed his gig with the Metropole Orchestra....pop/jazz/ whatever it was.....nice!

User Info Menu

Of all he discussed the coolest part is the

5 ....over the 4/4 etc which he described as a useful way to notate and understand Polyrhythms ..

So you might even think of a different top superscript
    Number for a few different instruments if there are polyrhythmic parts which are different for each instrument. Useful and clear and leads to heightened awareness within/ of a larger arrangement if that is what you're composing or overdubbing upon etc.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 02-19-2018 at 10:34 AM.

User Info Menu

I was up last night and checking out some Youtube and June Lee who transcribes Jacob just started doing a Youtube live about 3am NYC time and talked and answered questions till after 5am. He said he wasn't going to save it one of those things you have to be there. He did say he's working on a third Jacob Collier Theory video, but his talk with Jacob was about three hours long to editing it down is taking a long time. June is a very interesting kid (kid to me he 24) so hearing him talk music was cool.

So if you're up late and too tired to practice or do serious listen open a Facebook or more lately Youtube in your browser and check the notifications. Some good musicians are doing their late night chats and then deleting them so cool to just hang with people you like. There are some on Instagram, but Instagram is overloaded with trolls. So in my day we'd hang at coffee shops or somes pad and talk all night, but with the digital age the Hang is now with artists and people from all over the world.

User Info Menu

Yes the mode of delivery is central here - especially in the present age. Attitude +!

Music students love his infectious gestures - and the ease with which he can demonstrate things. As it is with all knowledge it takes a great communicator to make what is essentially already out there in books and sometimes rather dry curricula suddenly interesting.

I couldnt help feeling a little sorry for the way George Russell's book is suddenly flashed on the screen as if it's some kind of dictum in theory....the idea of that is frankly hilarious; and suddenly the depth of knowledge is all about Jacob - and not the canon.

I'm noticing that students are enamoured by him - but maybe thats because we live in an age where its all about how knowledge should be commodified to work for us, as opposed to finding an individual synthesis of it all - how many of these kids get the point here? Collier processes knowledge in his way, even if I dont particularly enjoy his music, I think thats the best example he gives , and often it's the one that is overlooked.

But for the moment he is the lightning rod for a bit of music theory - and thats a good thing.
    Last edited by gator811; 08-04-2017 at 07:58 PM.