The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

As an experiment during practice, I thought that I'd incorporate the Overtone Series of notes into a scale and listen to the results.

As you probably already know, when you play a single note, many other quieter notes are produced, my understanding is that these are called the Overtone Series of notes.

Overtone Series of notes. (See picture below.)
    C G E A# D F# A B C#

If you put first 9 notes of the Overtone Series together in a scale you have:
    C C# D E F# G A A# B C

To give it a name, I've decided on The Lydian Major Overtone Scale, because it sounds Lydian(ish) to my ears.
    "C" Lydian Major Overtone scale: C C# D E F# G A A# B

I must say, I've created some nice lines over Major/Lydian chords using combinations of notes from this scale.

Try it and give it a listen for yourself.

Last edited by GuyBoden; 02-22-2015 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Changed the name to: The Lydian Major Overtone Scale

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When I was in music school back in the Jurassic era they taught a Overtone scale that they said fit with the overtones. Today that is called the Lydian Dominant scale or Lydian b7.

User Info Menu

Yeah, name is already taken.

User Info Menu

ahh..the melodic minor to the rescue once again...

User Info Menu

If I do have to say so myself, I think this is an excellent scale for a modern Bebop sound.

User Info Menu

You do know that the notes keep going, past chromatic etc... and our tuned version within an octave is very different than the real overtones series. 1 ,1/2. 1/3, 1/4, 1/5 ... for ever.

I do dig the tuned version, but I also live at 1625 melodic minor way

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    You do know that the notes keep going, past chromatic etc... and our tuned version within an octave is very different than the real overtones series. 1 ,1/2. 1/3, 1/4, 1/5 ... for ever.

or as ted greene said re: overtone series...you would need a fretboard several hundred miles long,,,

User Info Menu

I do dig the tuned version, but I also live at 1625 melodic minor way
    As an Engineer, I think I understand the Overtone Harmonic Series (Fourier analysis is Mathematics), and as a passionate guitarist, I've spent most of my life with the Melodic Minor modes.

User Info Menu

Hey Guy... you probable understand the series much better than I...

But don't you hear the scale as Lydian b7 or Lydian Dom ... with somewhat dominant approach notes thrown in, very similar to bebop scales. Or do you really hear the C# and the B as scale tones.

User Info Menu

Is there a mistake in the harmonic series chart in post#1? Overtone #14 should be Bb, one octave above overtone #7; overtone #15 should be B, a fifth above overtone #5, and overtone #16 should be C, four octaves above the original tone.

User Info Menu

But don't you hear the scale as Lydian b7 or Lydian Dom ... with somewhat dominant approach notes thrown in, very similar to bebop scales. Or do you really hear the C# and the B as scale tones.
    No, but I'm trying my best, I hear what you're saying, but I'm trying not to think/hear Mm Mode 4. I'm determined to make this scale work even if it kills me.............

User Info Menu

My scale app calls it a mode of the Kiourdi (Kourdi or Kurdi ?) scale. It includes 75% of the chromatic scale (SIX notes in a row) !

Also, doesn't Lydian already imply majorness (C Lydian has E not an Eb) ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    Is there a mistake in the harmonic series chart in post#1? Overtone #14 should be Bb, one octave above overtone #7; overtone #15 should be B, a fifth above overtone #5, and overtone #16 should be C, four octaves above the original tone.
    Is this correct:

Last edited by GuyBoden; 02-22-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Is this correct:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    My scale app calls it a mode of the Kiourdi (Kourdi or Kurdi ?) scale. It includes 75% of the chromatic scale (SIX notes in a row) !

Also, doesn't Lydian already imply majorness (C Lydian has E not an Eb) ?

Depending on your point of view, yes, it's a lydian scale with a couple of extra notes.

"C" Lydian scale: C D E F# G A B

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Or a Lydian Dominant with a few extra notes

"C" Lydian Dominant:C D E F# G A Bb

Or some rehashed Bebop scales.

User Info Menu

That looks better. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Depending on your point of view, yes, it's a lydian scale with a couple of extra notes.

"C" Lydian scale: C D E F# G A B

Or a Lydian Dominant with a few extra notes

"C" Lydian Dominant:C D E F# G A Bb

Or some rehashed Bebop scales.
    Or could call it the Lydian Dominant, Bebop Dominant scale variations for chord tone and non chord tone starting note combined. <grin>

Guess that's why when you hear the guys who've been playing a long time say there's only one scale, the chromatic scale. All notes work over any chord you just have to learn how to use them.

User Info Menu

As an anthropological experiment and because everyone needs a spot in history, EVERY time ill use this scale I will use the term "Lydian Major Overtone scale".

Then maybe when I turn 80 ill open a new jazz guitar book (a 3d floating one) and see "Lydian Major Overtone scale" printed in it.

Ill KNOW then, that I have been part of this, that I witness the beginnings in this thread and remember GuyBoden.

And my life will not be vain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Takemitsu
    As an anthropological experiment and because everyone needs a spot in history, EVERY time ill use this scale I will use the term "Lydian Major Overtone scale".

Then maybe when I turn 80 ill open a new jazz guitar book (a 3d floating one) and see "Lydian Major Overtone scale" printed in it.

Ill KNOW then, that I have been part of this, that I witness the beginnings in this thread and remember GuyBoden.

And my life will not be vain.

I like that idea kind of a huge hologram of floating dots on a grid and by then they should have touch associated so you can feel that b9. Get the feel being at home fondling the root.

User Info Menu

Now we're talking...