The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

hi guys, i'm looking for different versions of tea for two. i own only dave brubeck(but i want to hear guitar players), and youtube has led me to charlie christian and barney kessel. also a couple of other live recordings by some nice unknown players. would appreciate if you guys can let me know of any others.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I know you said guitar - -maybe there's something in here you could use:

User Info Menu

Pasqaule plays a version based on this

bud powell tea for two - Google Search

An arrangement Barry Harris also plays.

Not quite on these guys shred level but here’s one I did the other day featuring Nat Steele on vibes:

Hope you enjoy

Thanks guys.

@Dennis - No worries, of course I'd naturally like to see what guitar players like to do, but I'm happy with nicking stuff from all instruments.

@Christian - you play like a god. I've had your solo on loop for about 15 minutes now. I'm going to nick your chord stuff.

User Info Menu

one word

tatum!

from u tube poster-

This is Art Tatum's flawless recording of Tea for Two, recorded in 1933, which was the version that was played during a cutting contest with its two competitors, James P Johnson and Fats Waller. Both Fats Waller and James P. Johnson were blown away when they heard this

tho fats waller did killer version as well

sorry no guitars!!...but primordial versions

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pushkar000
    Thanks guys.

@Dennis - No worries, of course I'd naturally like to see what guitar players like to do, but I'm happy with nicking stuff from all instruments.

@Christian - you play like a god. I've had your solo on loop for about 15 minutes now. I'm going to nick your chord stuff.
    Thanks Pushkar - glad you enjoyed it! Feel free to steal whatever it is I'm doing - I'm pretty sure I stole it from somewhere.... In any case I'd be flattered :-)

User Info Menu

I think that I once heard a John Pizzarelli version that was really good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

@neatomic - great takes, could listen for hours on end.

@Doublea A - I tried looking but couldn't find it. If you do come across it again, let me know!

User Info Menu

This tune is based on tea for two
    brad mehldau jive coffee - Google Search

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    and he did that with 2 good fretting fingers!!

Tea for Two - Looking for different recordings-le-jeune-django-jpg

shout out to tim lerchs great version as well!!! always a fave vid

cheers

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Here's one perhaps you haven't heard: Ted Greene playing privately and informally for his girlfriend Barbara Franklin.
    It's on the album she titled, "Messin' Around at Home - II" - available for free download on the TedGreene.com site in the Audio section.

http://tedgreene.com/audio/TedGreene...ea_for_Two.mp3

User Info Menu

The beauty of the tune really comes through in this ballad version. Francien van Tuinen, vocals featuring Jesse van Ruller on guitar:

User Info Menu

you want phrasing??? as only blossom dearie can deliver!! she sings it like its hers!

piano trio at it's finest

cheers

User Info Menu

I never knew there was a verse to it. That's the first time I've ever heard it, although I've heard the tune innumerable times.

User Info Menu

Pasquale plays the verse too, if you listen to his version.

It's a good verse.... Not all the verses to standards are, IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    you want phrasing??? as only blossom dearie can deliver!! she sings it like its hers!

cheers
    My fave.

EDIT Couldn't resist:
    Last edited by destinytot; 11-14-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks a lot guys, got to sift through all these now. Tons of things to pick up.

Thanks destinytot for your beautiful rendition! Very enjoyable as I start my day with some hot coffee (disregarding the motif but I'm not a tea person).

User Info Menu

Can't forget the master of Bop piano....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

cheers
    Yeah great and definitely the source for Francien van Tuinen's version. Thanks!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

time for some more guitar on 24T

Tal Farlow