The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 65

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    The phrase 'finding your voice' has connotations beyond the literal - and has more to do with 'telling the truth' than with music (the easy part).
    Late to the party:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As the opening track of his album Weaver of Dreams shows, it isn't only ballads that Kenny Burrell sings 'nicely'.

Neither was Joe Williams limited to singing only blues. On the contrary, the absence of blues diminishes this music.

The phrase 'finding your voice' has connotations beyond the literal - and has more to do with 'telling the truth' than with music (the easy part).
    OK, if you prefer sings 'well' to 'nicely' I'm down with that. I only heard Kenny sing a ballad, so that's what I based my comment on. But he's a rounded, schooled musician with a pleasant voice. That's what I was trying to say.

Chuck Wayne told me he sang a certain song with Shearing, but I never heard him sing. Raney sort of spoke/croaked some novelty bebop tunes with Blossom Dearie, and said he hated it when it came out.

Good, bad or indifferent, as I said earlier in the thread, singing by instrumentalists helps the listener and could lead them to pay closer attention to the next instrumental, b/c they like us more for having sung.

There's only so much that can be understood with notes alone---and if you want the untrained listener to be moved by and to follow notes alone, in a solo, best to take a melodic, swinging approach a al Pops, Miles, Chet Baker, Wes, etc. Maybe some would disagree and perhaps this won't fit everyone to a T, but it's not only opinion I'm giving, it's many years experience performing and observing others performing jazz...

User Info Menu

Well, I didnt read the whole topic through, so excuse me if he was already mentioned, but George Benson came in mind when I read the title of the thread.

Also if You listened to thousands of jazz records, and can sing along with the guitar, You can simply play whatever YOu want, so it does not hurt when we start singing

User Info Menu

No guitar, but Mr Mathis sings the verse (well):

Here's Mr Burrell:

I find the singing of messrs Mathis and Burrell to be compelling.

I bet Torsten Goods could sing 'jazz'* as well as plays it if he had a mind to - based not on this

...but on this (Mr Goode's solos @6:35):

*PS get next to that trumpet...
    Last edited by destinytot; 10-23-2017 at 05:03 AM.

User Info Menu

OK. This trumps even that:

(AND my daddy can beat up YOUR daddy---LOL)

I give you Jo Stafford and Saturday Night Fever:

User Info Menu

It takes real skill and talent to do that when your normal pitch is as good as Jo Stafford's. She's one of my favorite singers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    It takes real skill and talent to do that when your normal pitch is as good as Jo Stafford's. She's one of my favorite singers.
    Yeah, she was a hell of a comic 'actress'. Her husband was in on it, too. They made a few of these things. A NY DJ, Jonathan Schwartz, played them and that's how I got wind of them.

And ditto on the great singer piece. I always go to the Jo Staffords, Doris Days, Sinatras, Streisands when I want to learn a song with the correct melody and knowing presentation of the lyric/story. And Jo Stafford's Haunted Heart gives me chills. And she's nearly forgotten now----sigh...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    Yeah, she was a hell of a comic 'actress'. Her husband was in on it, too. They made a few of these things. A NY DJ, Jonathan Schwartz, played them and that's how I got wind of them.

And ditto on the great singer piece. I always go to the Jo Staffords, Doris Days, Sinatras, Streisands when I want to learn a song with the correct melody and knowing presentation of the lyric/story. And Jo Stafford's Haunted Heart gives me chills. And she's nearly forgotten now----sigh...
    Add Peggy Lee to that list (especially her version of "Two for the Road". And Meryl Streep is actually a very good singer -- her verions of Amazing Grace from "Silkwood" is beautiful IMO. But my all time favorite comic (but actually great) singer is Madeline Kahn.

For singing jazz guitar players, I'd add Slim Gaillard ...

I've done a lot of folk/blues/rock singing and fronted bands, so and I kind of have that down. I try standards every now and then, but haven't really put the time into getting it right and wouldn't try it in public.

John

User Info Menu

Apart from George Benson, the first guy that came to mind is Sacha Distel:

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Apart from George Benson, the first guy that came to mind is Sacha Distel:

I am not familiar with him. Does he sing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Add Peggy Lee to that list (especially her version of "Two for the Road". And Meryl Streep is actually a very good singer -- her verions of Amazing Grace from "Silkwood" is beautiful IMO. But my all time favorite comic (but actually great) singer is Madeline Kahn.

For singing jazz guitar players, I'd add Slim Gaillard ...

I've done a lot of folk/blues/rock singing and fronted bands, so and I kind of have that down. I try standards every now and then, but haven't really put the time into getting it right and wouldn't try it in public.

John

Lily Von Shtupp: 'I've been with hundweds of men---again and again. They promise the moon. They quote from Byron and Shelly, then jump on your belly, and bust your balloon....They're always coming and going, and going and coming---and always too soon (right, girls?').....'

Nazi dancing chorus line:

'Give her a BREAK----she's not a SNAKE! Can't you see she's POOPED?!'

Lily Von Shtupp: 'Let's face it, everything from the waste down is KAPUT'.

And blackout.

Coda: Richard Pryor co-wrote Blazing Saddles. The line that Mel Brooks and or the 'suits' decided to cut out of the film (last line I will write):

Lily: 'Oh, is it twew what they say about you people'

(sound of fly unzipping)

'Oh, it's twew! It's TWEW!!'

Sherriff Bart: 'Lady, you're SUCKING ON MY ARM!!!'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I am not familiar with him. Does he sing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He was one of France's most famous pop singers! Distel wrote The Good Life, a tune covered by Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Sarah Vaughan, Betty Carter, Nancy Wilson...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    He was one of France's most famous pop singers! Distel wrote The Good Life, a tune covered by Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Sarah Vaughan, Betty Carter, Nancy Wilson...
    Saw him with Kessel at Ronnie's.

Richie Havens, Joni, Curtis Mayfield - I guess they don't count (but they're my faves).

User Info Menu

Saw him with Kessel at Ronnie's.

Richie Havens, Joni, Curtis Mayfield - I guess they don't count (but they're my faves).
    Caution: "What is jazz" argument ahead ...

User Info Menu

Caterina Valente - pretty sure there are clips
    of Chet Baker with her.

Hendrix.

Demis Roussos. OK, that's pushing it - and he didn't play guitar.

User Info Menu

Hello guys, this is my first post here so apologies in advance for any errors. I love this idea of a study group or some kind of group to help me develop playing and singing skills. Unlike the original poster and ecj, I started by singing and accompanying myself on guitar (just comping chords). My repertoire is mostly Brazilian music but I want to add jazz standards and guitar improvisation into the mix. Easier said than done I'm realizing. I appreciated ecj's realistic advice.

I don't know how a group like this would work but I'll offer a video of a less famous jazz guitarist/singer whose technique and approach might be helpful.

Ed Laub who is Bucky Pizzarelli's regular duo partner (not in this video).

I took a good workshop with Ed and Bucky. Ed only comps fingerstyle but uses a pick for soloing.

Hope we can keep this topic going.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomDC
    Hello guys, this is my first post here so apologies in advance for any errors. I love this idea of a study group or some kind of group to help me develop playing and singing skills. Unlike the original poster and ecj, I started by singing and accompanying myself on guitar (just comping chords). My repertoire is mostly Brazilian music but I want to add jazz standards and guitar improvisation into the mix. Easier said than done I'm realizing. I appreciated ecj's realistic advice.

I don't know how a group like this would work but I'll offer a video of a less famous jazz guitarist/singer whose technique and approach might be helpful.

Ed Laub who is Bucky Pizzarelli's regular duo partner (not in this video).

I took a good workshop with Ed and Bucky. Ed only comps fingerstyle but uses a pick for soloing.

Hope we can keep this topic going.

Tom
    I loved that. That is exactly what I am taking about.

Should we a a few songs and get this group going ?

User Info Menu

I loved that. That is exactly what I am taking about.

Should we a a few songs and get this group going ?
    Your question is missing a key word so I'm not sure what you are proposing (though it still scares the hell out of me). What are you suggesting we do with those "few songs"?

How does this sound ?

A study group where we perform (sing and play) Jazz Standards, with the understanding that we are primarily guitarists.

We pick a tune and share techniques and strategies like other groups do, culminating in one audio/video post every month ?

I am open to other thoughts/ideas.

User Info Menu

How does this sound ?

A study group where we perform (sing and play) Jazz Standards, with the understanding that we are primarily guitarists.

We pick a tune and share techniques and strategies like other groups do, culminating in one audio/video post every month ?

I am open to other thoughts/ideas.

That sounds like a great idea to me. What song do you and others have in mind? Maybe list a few and choose one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TomDC
    That sounds like a great idea to me. What song do you and others have in mind? Maybe list a few and choose one?

Here is my Suggested list - 38 songs and a few kickers

Steppin' out with my baby (Irving Berlin)
    Ain't Misbehavin
    Black Orpheus/A Day in the life of a Fool
    Corcovado
    Is you is or is you ain't my baby
    Moonlight in Vermont
    There will never be another you
    Don't Blame Me
    If I had you
    In the wee small hours of the morning
    Dream a little Dream of me
    Walkin my baby back home
    Old Folks
    Surrey with the Fringe on Top
    Stormy Weather
    I'm Confessin' that I love you
    My Blue Heaven
    The Girl from Ipanema
    Pennies from Heaven
    Gee Baby ain't I good to you
    On a slow boat to China
    So Nice (Summer Samba)
    Sometimes I'm Happy
    I could write a book
    They can't take that away from me
    S'Wonderful
    Can't Help loving that gal of mine
    I've got you under my skin
    I've got the world on a string
    What a difference a day made
    You'd be so nice to come home to
    Meditation
    Tea for two
    Taking a chance on love
    What a little moonlight can do
    Ain't she sweet
    It's all right with me
    I found a new baby

And a couple outside the Jazz realm

Honey Pie (by the Beatles)
    Kiss (by Prince)
    Baby I'm a Fool (by Melody Gardot)

User Info Menu

Tea for two
    Took a stab at it:

User Info Menu

Tried improvising and singing (trying to avoid toxic schmaltz):

User Info Menu

Here is my Suggested list - 38 songs and a few kickers

Steppin' out with my baby (Irving Berlin)
    Ain't Misbehavin
    Black Orpheus/A Day in the life of a Fool
    Corcovado
    Is you is or is you ain't my baby
    Moonlight in Vermont
    Don't Blame Me
    If I had you
    In the wee small hours of the morning
    Dream a little Dream of me
    Walkin my baby back home
    Old Folks