The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24
    Found this song on my phone and I find it relaxing ,not sure how long I had the CD but it kind of has "the girl from ipanema" guitar picking style in my opinion with a soft trumpet added in which gives it a vary settle and classy feel to it . If you don't know it il send a link and hope you like it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When she added the bossa groove and changed the lyric from eighteen to seventeen to syncopate it with the latin beat, she had a monster hit.

User Info Menu

What a great song.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    What a great song.
    I don't know I haven't picked up on it before now. Had the CD set since like 06 or earlier I guess it just shows your taste in music matures with age

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Actually not sure why this one doesnt get the jazz treatment more often...maybe the lyrics burn a little too much.

User Info Menu

One of the biggest songs from my youth.

Beautiful melody. Killer lyric. Heartfelt and real.

Very big song here in Australia.

User Info Menu

This song could have been bigger than At Seventeen. At least in my part of the US.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    This song could have been bigger than At Seventeen. At least in my part of the US.

It DID have a following, but the material was controversial for the time (late '60s or early '70s). I remember commercial radio stations were very nervous about playing it...

User Info Menu

I remember when this came out Phil saying

'Even though I'm an old fart (he was 42!) I can relate to the lyric'.

The other bonus I had forgotten about: a guy I knew in NY years ago, Sam Brown (a unique guitar player who met with a horrible end at 37) is aboard:

User Info Menu

rip sam brown...first heard him on motians conception vessel lp...played with some heavies... k jarrett, ron carter, p desmond, carla bley etc etc

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    rip sam brown...first heard him on motians conception vessel lp...played with some heavies... k jarrett, ron carter, p desmond, carla bley etc etc

cheers
    Carla bley...there is a name you don't hear very often...

User Info Menu

She offers master classes at the Swannanoa Gathering outside of Asheville. Was here last year and will be back in 2017.

Swannanoa Gathering :: Home Page

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    Carla bley...there is a name you don't hear very often...
    Not often enough!

"Lawns" is one of my favorite tunes to play.

Sam Brown...played with Burton, too, right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    It DID have a following, but the material was controversial for the time (late '60s or early '70s). I remember commercial radio stations were very nervous about playing it...
    It hit the charts in 66. I was in the SF Bay Area at that time and it was Huge there. I could see that some markets would be less enthusiastic though.

User Info Menu

It was a hit when it came out, but she was only about 15 at the time. To a big extent, the potential to build on it was limited by her youth -- she was too young to be marketed a sex object. She didn't fit the mold for pop stardom either. She was way older than her age, so to speak, when she first broke, and not able to act the part of shallow sex kitten tempermentally.

I'm too young to remember Society's Child's initial appearance, but I remember At 17 well -- I was 13 or 14 at the time, just starting to listen to FM radio on my own, and had an older sister in the throes of high school; it was in the air in every sense. It was seen as Ian's comeback, and also as her commentary not just on the tyranny of "lookism" among one's peers, but subliminally on the music business's treatment of her. Society's Child had a bit of a revival along side it. I'm not sure of all the reasons she didn't build stardom on At 17, but I think a big part of that has to be the music business's limited capacity or willingness to promote young women who have something challenging to say.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 04-07-2017 at 02:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Lovely song

User Info Menu

That played BIG in the US northwest, Oregon & Washington. And I saw her doing it on like every national variety show out there ... I have read that some stations in Chicago and in the South had "difficulties" with it, but it was still no. 1 in quite a few US regions. She wrote that at 13! ... and recorded it at 14.

I saw her perform in Portland in the early 80's. Besides writing great stuff, interesting lyrics, melodies, AND changes, she's one of the most riveting performers I've ever seen. Great pianist, good guitarist ... even duck-walked the entire stage at one point. And can turn around and do a very quiet piece, just her and her guitar ... and dominate the hall.

Wife couldn't go, but we had a college student renting a room from us went with me. We even went around to the stage door after to get autographs. Janis steps out, all startling like 4'-10" of her (147cm for you euro-types) ... from the hall, no idea she was that short ... signs everything then asks who wants to go out for a late breakfast.

She'd been cracking up the crowd with her running humor on reactions to her height, songs, an Life ... I was all about going. College girl says no, I got a test tomorrow. We gotta get me home. What? Worry about some stupid college test?

Bummed me out totally. Coulda had a fantastic visit with Ian.

Look also at "In the Winter" by her... short, but interesting tune & lyrics.

Stumbling fingers still need love ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    It was a hit when it came out, but was only about 15 at the time. To a big extent, the potential to build on it was limited by her youth -- she was too young to be marketed a sex object. She didn't fit the mold for pop stardom either. She was way older than her age, so to speak, when she first broke, and not able to act the part of shallow sex kitten tempermentally.

I'm too young to remember Society's Child's initial appearance, but I remember At 17 well -- I was 13 or 14 at the time, just starting to listen to FM radio on my own, and had an older sister in the throes of high school; it was in the air in every sense. It was seen as Ian's comeback, and also as her commentary not just on the tyranny of "lookism" among one's peers, but subliminally on the music business's treatment of her. Society's Child had a bit of a revival along side it. I'm not sure of all the reasons she didn't build stardom on At 17, but I think a big part of that has to be the music business's limited capacity or willingness to promote young women who have something challenging to say.

John
    There were a few smart young women singers at that general time from the NYC area that were similar. Laura Nyro of course. Phoebe Snow maybe, but a little later. Even Leslie Gore got an early part of that bag.

User Info Menu

There were a few smart young women singers at that general time from the NYC area that were similar. Laura Nyro of course. Phoebe Snow maybe, but a little later. Even Leslie Gore got an early part of that bag.
    I don't think of any of those as particularly similar, but yes, there was scene (or scenes). I think of Janis Ian as more a product of the folk/topical-song scene. Laura Nyro and Leslie Gore as more out of the Brill Buildling/Carole King mold. Not sure where to put Pheobe Snow, except that she was in a whole other class as a pure vocalist. Seeing her perform Piece of My Heart in a small venue was a life-altering experience. She's up there with the greats like Aretha and Erma, Chaka Khan, et. al.

John

User Info Menu

I think Bucky Pizzarelli played guitar on the studio version of that song. I remember his son John saying he bragged about it to friends because it was such a big hit----"Hear that guitar right there? That's my dad!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I don't think of any of those as particularly similar, but yes, there was scene (or scenes). I think of Janis Ian as more a product of the folk/topical-song scene. Laura Nyro and Leslie Gore as more out of the Brill Buildling/Carole King mold. Not sure where to put Pheobe Snow, except that she was in a whole other class as a pure vocalist. Seeing her perform Piece of My Heart in a small venue was a life-altering experience. She's up there with the greats like Aretha and Erma, Chaka Khan, et. al.

John
    True. Maybe only similar in the sense of time and place.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

cheers
    He never sounded like he did playing with you or in a club on recordings. He was unique and soulful, and played a nylon string (and Tele). He sounded only like himself and had a great sense of melodic line.

Too bad the recordings don't get him like I heard him...

User Info Menu

She still sounds great and Tommy really helps her shine here then takes a lovely solo:

User Info Menu

Seventeen was one of those extraordinary songs that don't come along very often. But come they do and stay with you, like some of Joni's 'Blue' confessionals. I hadn't heard the Phil Woods version but that's pretty good too.

If this post is short it's because it's hard to find the words one really wants to say about it.