The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi guys, my next tune to tackle is Cherokee.
    Can you guys recommend me some nice recordings or live videos?
    Instrument doesn't matter, I'm just looking to find 7-8 different versions that I like so the tune really sinks in.

Thanks in advance.

Pushkar

Last edited by pushkar000; 01-29-2015 at 05:06 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So many versions, but two favorites are the Virtuoso album version by Joe Pass and the Clifford Brown/Max Roach track.

User Info Menu

Sorry, I omitted the videos ! Senior moment, probably !

Oh man thanks guys lots of good stuff here!

User Info Menu

That Joe Pass version is insane. I've heard Coryell do a monster version of this as well.

User Info Menu

There's Parker's "Ko-Ko", then there's everything else. That solo started a revolution.....

User Info Menu

There are a lot of great versions of Cherokee, but to save space I won't post links, so if you go to youtube and enter the artist's name followed by cherokee you'll get a match,

barney kessel (an airshot medley also featuring irving ashby, arv garrison and les paul)
    tal farlow (from the album "Autumn In New York)
    johnny smith (from the album "Moonlight In Vermont)
    jimmy raney (from the album "Visits Paris Vol 2) There's another version on his "Live in Tokyo" lp not on youtube.

Also 2 versions by Joe Pass and Herb Ellis on the CD "Two For The Road".

There's also the tune "Parker 51" by Stan Getz. Jimmy Raney's original line on the Cherokee changes.

Oh yeah, dont forget Parker's out-take run through from the Koko session titled "Warming Up a Riff"

Also other suggestions and commentary on this great website:

Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Cherokee (Indian Love Song))
    Last edited by pubylakeg; 02-01-2015 at 09:29 AM.

Oh man thanks puby what a goldmine.
    I'll be checking these out soon.

User Info Menu

Yes princeplanet. Ko-Ko launched bebop. The first recording of that group post recording band. Cannonball Adderly has a pretty killing version too. Along with Clifford Brown that would round it out for me. Don Byas as well.

User Info Menu

Please fasten your seat belt and make sure your tray is in the upright position as we prepare for takeoff:

User Info Menu

I'm not really fond of JM's take on Cherokee.

User Info Menu

I always defend that JM clip, even though i don't particularly like it. It was a late night show, not a jazz club...the point was to go out there and try and drop a few jaws.

User Info Menu

Well yes, exactly! On Johnny Carson?? Very hip and very cool.

User Info Menu

Johnny was the epitome of cool.

User Info Menu

Brian Setzer recorded his verison a few years ago. Some don't find it jazz enough, but I like it. Twangy tone is not a problem for me.

User Info Menu

Here's a version of "Cherokee" using chord clusters (no tapping or overdubs).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi guys thanks for all the recommendations! Got lots of good stuff for Cherokee now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Montgomery
    Here's a version of "Cherokee" using chord clusters (no tapping or overdubs).
    Man this sounds really cool but I'm not able to understand what you did. Can you explain chord clusters? Also how is it two-hand voicing without tapping?

Edit : Never mind, I found that you posted it on a different thread!
    Last edited by pushkar000; 02-03-2015 at 10:13 AM.