The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I love this old tune. Lots of versions available on YouTube. My favorite by far is the version that kicks off "Sonny Side Up", a fantastic album featuring Diz, Sonny Rollins and Sonny Stitt.

The first solo is by Sonny Stitt and is among my favorites. I'm gleaning bits of it and seeing what all I can do with 'em...

Here's a link to the tune at Jazz Standards dot com, a great site.
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (On the Sunny Side of the Street)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pres:

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing, its 32 here in Melbourne, not a could in the sky and this fits the mood of the day perfectly. Yes from the first phrase that first solo is cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Thanks for sharing, its 32 here in Melbourne, not a could in the sky and this fits the mood of the day perfectly. Yes from the first phrase that first solo is cool.
    I love it too. It's tough for me to play, though. Most of it is double-timed---which isn't so bad in and of itself as this isn't a fast piece---but lots of the phrases are in staggered rhythms. One measure begins with six sixteenth notes on the first beat(4 and 2), five on the second (3 and 2), and five on the third. It may take me all day to learn to play that measure right!

User Info Menu

I like Keely Smith's version too

User Info Menu

I look forward to hearing you play it (which is now compulsory).

User Info Menu

Sonny side up was my intro to that tune...love Diz's ad-libbed vocal.

User Info Menu

Good morning markrhodes, apologies if my "compulsory" comment is anyway offensive. It was meant to be tongue in cheek as for me to post your playing is a massive (and intimidating) thing, plus a little bit of motivation to see it through etc for me practicing guitar can be a bit of a loan some road.

As I am a beginner I crave hearing others play, every listening opportunity is a learning experience and I particularly like hearing horn lines on guitar.

jbyork assuming your comments are good hearted here is a quick demo my daughter filmed of me demoing my new guitar for some mates (I will be posting on the monthly song, no matter how bad it from next month):

You have motivated me to put up another, maybe I will even complete a song. Thanks.

Stay temperate dudes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Good morning markrhodes, apologies if my "compulsory" comment is anyway offensive. It was meant to be tongue in cheek as for me to post your playing is a massive (and intimidating) thing, plus a little bit of motivation to see it through etc for me practicing guitar can be a bit of a loan some road.
    No offense taken at all.

User Info Menu

Cool version... when Diz starts singing this way of improvizing in kind of almost 'out of tune' recitaion both in music and text reminded of Louis Prima version...

User Info Menu

Great record, Sonny Side Up. Anything with Sonny Stitt gets an A plus from me.

User Info Menu

I have a question about reading the rhythms of Sonny Stitt solo.

Here is a link to a page posted by Evan Samuels, a guitarist / educator. (If he's a member of this Forum, I would like to know!)

https://evansamuels.wordpress.com/20...ny-stitt-solo/

If you go there, you will find an audio excerpt of just the solo and also a link to a transcription.

I am working on the transcription and having a bit of trouble with reading a few rhythms, namely double-time bars where there are groups of three-and-two sixteenths making up a beat. While taking it slow and working it out phrase by phrase, I'm unsure how to parse those beats. (Check out measure 8: 19 16th notes.)

Any help would be appreciated!

This is a fantastic solo!
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 12-02-2014 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Example

User Info Menu

He plays triplets off beat - like they were not triplets but three 16s with 16th pause in a quater...

User Info Menu

On trick might help - of course if understand your question correctly...

Try to move an accent within a beat.
    Imagine that the first note in 8th bar is not actually first, but B is the firat note

then the first beat is b-c#-a-f# and second starts with e flat - so then the triplet will be naturally played off beat...

in fast tempo these figures are like embelishment - three notes coming up (d-f-a) - then main note (c)- then one note coming down (Bb)

Hope that helps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    On trick might help - of course if understand your question correctly...

Try to move an accent within a beat.
    Imagine that the first note in 8th bar is not actually first, but B is the first note

then the first beat is b-c#-a-f# and second starts with e flat - so then the triplet will be naturally played off beat...

in fast tempo these figures are like embelishment - three notes coming up (d-f-a) - then main note (c)- then one note coming down (Bb)

Hope that helps
    Thanks. I get what you're saying. I've even done this sort of thing in my own playing, but it feels so different when I'm playing SO slow and trying to learn something. Sixteenths can be divided into eighths (for purposes of learning) and this (3 and 2) is like a triplet and eighth, but as you point out, the emphasis isn't on the first beat (-in this measure of this solo on this tune) so it's awkward to learn. For me. (YMMV) Thanks again.

User Info Menu

I think it's just the way he's swinging the 16th notes and triplets that makes it hard to articulate, plus he's also behind the beat at times. Sometimes you can hear those triplets as two 32nd notes and a 16th depending on how they're played. You can also try slowing the recording down and seeing what Sonny sounds like playing at a slower tempo - if that helps at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supermaxx
    I think it's just the way he's swinging the 16th notes and triplets that makes it hard to articulate, plus he's also behind the beat at times. Sometimes you can hear those triplets as two 32nd notes and a 16th depending on how they're played. You can also try slowing the recording down and seeing what Sonny sounds like playing at a slower tempo - if that helps at all.
    I think you're right.

User Info Menu

Sonny Stitt has got to be probably my favorite or second favorite (behind Bud) bebop player.