The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I'm working with a new vocalist and putting a set list together - any suggestions for up-tempo numbers that would work well with guitar & vocals??

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been listening to this off and on all week: Nina Simone's version of "Love Me Or Leave Me."

This is a piano version, but Jonathon Stout has a nice swing-comp for this at his website.
    Jonathan Stout and his Campus Five, featuring Hilary Alexander - Swing Guitar Blog

Cool - thanks Mark that's a great suggestion

User Info Menu

Route 66

User Info Menu

How High the Moon can be done pretty up-tempo.

And Diana Krall has several good'uns. Off the top of my head, I can recall "I Love Being Here With You". Also "East of the Sun and West of the Moon" can be up.
    Last edited by jasaco; 08-16-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks edh & jasaco

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Route 66
    Duke Robillard teaches a nice version of this (based on Oscar Moore's playing with the Nat Cole Trio in their great version) on the "Sonic Junction" site. It's a tune that everyone seems to know and like.

Another good choice might be "All Of Me." It swings, you can play it up, and it makes people happy. (That's one of the tunes I play to 'pick myself up' when I need it.)

User Info Menu

Loads of them from the swing era. For instance, "Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter"

User Info Menu

The lady is a tramp and almost like being in love!

User Info Menu

Anita O'day live in sweden, some of the tunes are on youtube.

Her arrangement /performance of sweet georgia brown, youtube, "jazz on a summer day".

User Info Menu

Spain!

User Info Menu

"Autumn Leaves" is a great one to rev up the tempo.
    "Days of Wine and Roses" is another favorite of mine to swing.

"Almost Like Being in Love"
    "I Get a Kick out of You"
    "All the Things You Are"
    "They Can't Take That Away from Me"

A great source is to basically look at songs Ella recorded and you'll find a lot of ideas for swingin' uptempo numbers.

Category:Ella Fitzgerald songs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

User Info Menu

Have you heard Tuck and Patti do a song called Togetherness? Swings like mad for a duo. Tuck does a drop D tuning.

User Info Menu

"Just One Of Those Things" by Cole Porter.

User Info Menu

I Got Rhythm
    Secret Love
    There is no Greater Love
    All the Things You Are
    All of Me

Are good tunes to do uptempo. The trick is to find relatively sparse melodies. It gets awkward trying to sing lyrics quickly.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - will definitely check them out

User Info Menu

One Note Samba, Norwegian Wood, Tristeza, Summertime in a quick 5/4. Get out of the 40s occasionally.

User Info Menu

Anita O'day released several albums years ago with many "Old Standard" upbeat tunes on them.

wiz