Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Stella by Starlight chord melody with no chords

Sorry for clickbait. Anyway, I've been messing around with this concept of 6 string arpeggios that all have 1 note per string, typically with no octaves/doubling of the same note. It's a nice combination of a harmonic experiment as well as right hand ("economy picking") practice. I used the general idea here for an arrangement of Stella where chord forms are arpeggiated, and I don't actually play any of the notes together.

Comments welcome but I know this kind of thing isn't everybody's cup of tea.

Stella By Starlight: link here, I guess I can't embed
    Last edited by JakeAcci; 08-24-2017 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz View Post
    Very nice! Hey get a YouTube channel kid!
    When are we gonna play?

David
    Thanks David!

YT: I have one! I don't do much with it JLEGuitarLessons
    - YouTube
    . was going to upload this vid and the giant steps one, but I feel like Instagram works better for these little practice clips. Who has attention span longer than 60 seconds these days anyway?

Playing: as usual, would really love to, you know I get a little...focused. Still want to check out your space. Let's be in touch after fall rush.

Nice - reminded me of Bobby McFerrin a bit.
    "Each heart vibrates to that iron string."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
    (who obviously played in Carl Kress tuning)

Very nice! I love the challenge of playing a full harmonic reading of a piece without chordal playing. I've been going that way since I've been playing fretless guitar almost exclusively these days. The instrument doesn't really lend itself to playing chord shapes.

I turned to people like Lee Konitz and Steve Lacy for inspiration. I saw Lee a lot and one time he was scheduled to do a duo with Harold Danko on piano. Harold got stuck on a broken train from NY and Lee announced he'd do a tribute to Charlie Parker and did two hours of Parker tunes on solo alto. It was mind blowing.

Hey get a YouTube channel! And let's get together and play. Seriously, Jake!

Love your Stella. Keep it up!

David

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    Nice - reminded me of Bobby McFerrin a bit.
    And Theo Bleckmann

Talk about making do with one voice.

David

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz View Post
    And Theo Bleckmann

Talk about making do with one voice.

David
    Thanks for this - I think it's important to engage in that (therapeutic) work/play.
    "Each heart vibrates to that iron string."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
    (who obviously played in Carl Kress tuning)

Reminds me of Ben Goldberg's solo clarinet approach. I've been meaning to bug him for lessons, since he lives so close by. This kind of playing is mesmerizing. Steve Lacy is a master. David Liebman has also done some amazing solo recordings.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed