Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

FS: Guild GSR Starfire VI (2 of 18)...

I purchased this guitar new about 2 years ago, and it is still in the condition in which I bought it aside from some pick marks on the pick guard. Like many others I tend to buy gear, use it for a while, and then sell it. While I would love to keep every guitar I buy the reality is that I will always want to buy another guitar, so tough choices have to be made, and this is one of them.

For those not familiar with the GSR Starfire VI, there were 18 made in 2012 of which this one is #2. The specs are as follows:

• Made in Connecticut, U.S.A.
    • Top:
      • Semi-Hollow Construction With Real F-Holes
      • Laminated Arched Spruce Top
      • Multi-Bound Top, Back and F-Holes
      • Vintage Style Pickguard
      • High Gloss Nitrocellulose Finish
      • "Antique Burst" Color

• Back/Sides
      • Laminated Figured Maples Back and Sides

• Neck:
      • Three Piece Mahogany/Maple/Mahogany Neck
      • Hand-Slotted Bone Nut
      • "Set-In" Neck Joint
      • Slim Round Neck Profile
      • Bound Ebony Fretboard
      • 24-3/4" Scale
      • Bone Nut
      • 1-11/16" Nut Width
      • 12" Fretboard Radius
      • Mother of Pearl and Abalone Block Position Markers
      • Coco Bolo Heasdstock Overlay
      • Gotoh Die-Cast Tuners

• Bridge:
      • "Tone-Pros" TP-6 Tune-O-Matic Style Bridge
      • "Tone-Pros" Tailpiece

• Pickups/Electronics:
      • Two Seymour Duncan "Seth Lover" Humbucking Pickups
      • Three Way Pickup Selector
      • Volume and Tone Controls for Each Pickup

• Guild Hard Case Included

This guitar is always stored in its case in a temperature and humidity-controlled, non-smoking environment when not in use.

Asking price is $2500 plus shipping within the CONUS.

Satisfaction is guaranteed, and if this guitar is not as described simply package it up as it was received and send it back to me for a full refund of the purchase price. I have been a member on letstalkguild.com for several years as guildman63, and my ebay ID is snoskier63 which has a 100% feedback rating.

This truly is a great guitar, so give me a shout and make this guitar yours!
    Last edited by snoskier63; 04-28-2015 at 09:49 PM.

I have been asked about the size of the lower bout and the weight of this guitar.

16" lower bout
    7 lbs.

If there are any other questions feel free to let me know and I will do what I can to get you an answer.

Thanks to all that have expressed interest.

David

One question...how can you part with such a great guitar? Good luck.
    Thanks John

Quote Originally Posted by powerwagonjohn View Post
    One question...how can you part with such a great guitar? Good luck.
    Thanks John
    With a great deal of reluctance. To get the guitar I am interested in I need to get rid of one beauty. Between my three Guilds (AP AA, AP X-500, and GSR Starfire VI), the GSR unfortunately lost out. Not because it is a lesser guitar, but just because one great guitar has to go. I suspect I will regret the sale, but I have regretted selling other guitars, so clearly I have not yet learned my lesson. I'm sure it will find a good home where it gets played a lot, so there is some consolation.

I'm already shipping one guitar tomorrow, so a second will be easy!

worldwide shipping available on this?

Quote Originally Posted by steves3972 View Post
    worldwide shipping available on this?
    Steve,

I have no experience with international shipping, so I am less inclined to learn about it with a guitar like this. If I did the price would probably be quite different given the much higher cost and risk of shipping.

Steve,

Has this guitar been sold?

Quote Originally Posted by cm345 View Post
    Steve,

Has this guitar been sold?
    Chris,

Check your inbox.

David

David, How did they they make a 7 pound semi hollow? Is it a smaller block or is some other wood than maple used for the block? The lightest 355's (and this is a Guild version of a 355) weigh about a pound more.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    David, How did they they make a 7 pound semi hollow? Is it a smaller block or is some other wood than maple used for the block? The lightest 355's (and this is a Guild version of a 355) weigh about a pound more.
    I'm not really sure. whatever they did worked, because it is a very comfortable guitar that plays and sounds even better than it looks. I know of the 355, but I have never played or inspected one, so I can't say how this Starfire compares structurally. I have been dragging my feet on selling this guitar, and have changed my mind before, so if anyone is interested act now before I change my mind again.

That's a real beauty. Wow!
    MG

I have the same Guild GSR Starfire VI but mine is 15 of 18 built. I also have a 2009 ES-345 and a 1973 Guild Starfire IV. First off the Guild GSR Starfire is more like a fancy ESs-335 as it does not have a Varitone or a maple neck as some ES-355 do. The top on the Guild is laminated spruce and almost half as thick at the top on my ES-345 and I would guess the back and sides are also thin as I can really feel the guitar vibrating at higher volume than either my old Starfire or my ES-345. Still it does not seem more prone to feedback than either of the other two guitars. The center block looks to be maple but may be a softer and lighter variety than the maple block in my ES-345 or the mahogany block in my 1973 Starfire IV. The lighter weight is something I really like about the GSR Starfire VI along with the ebony fingerboard and the Duncan Seth Lover it makes for a very different guitar than the other two semi-hollow bodies. The hardware is very nice with the locking bridge and tailpiece and great turners. My GSR Starfire is due for a fret dress but I have had no other work done on it and no problems. With .011 strings it plays easier than some of my guitar with .010. The build quality is perfect and although I place appearance third to tone and playability the guitar is a real knock out with inlays and binding everywhere. I have over a dozen guitars and my GSR Starfire is right at the top with my two L-4s and slightly above my other semi-hollow body guitars. For a new guitar it is just stellar. You could say I am just a bit biased.
    Thanks John

That's it John, make me pull this guitar off the market yet again. would anyone like to buy my brand new Gretsch Brian Setzer G6120SSUGR instead?

Thanks for adding that testimonial! It's on par with my AP's as well, which is saying a lot.

John, Thanks for that post. It answered my question. BTW, late model 355s have been made without the varitone. With the spruce top and mahogany neck, this Guild is a different spec than a 355. It sounds like a wonderful and somewhat unique semi hollow guitar.

David, you probably should not sell that guitar. If I was looking for a top notch guitar, you would already have an offer from me. The thing is, I already have 20 guitars and even though I rotate them (all my ponies get out of the stable from time to time), I am starting to feel that I do not get to spend enough time with the guitars that I have, so I am out of the market. Good luck with the sale (but really, if you are smart...sell the Gretsch instead!)

Cheers,

Marc
    www.hotclubpacific.com

Marc,

I just listed my Gretsch out here. I really hate to get rid of either one, but in reality I should get rid of both. We'll see how that goes.

http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/sale/...6120ssugr.html

They still make Gretsch guitars but the won't be making any more GSR Starfire VI guitars. Decisions decisions, this is why I rarely sell my guitars.
    Thanks John

I can't tell if the spruce top has a midline seam, but the back definitely does. Why would Guild cut a laminate board to create a seam? That doesn't make sense to me in that it should increase costs with no apparent gain.

Quote Originally Posted by powerwagonjohn View Post
    I have the same Guild GSR Starfire VI but mine is 15 of 18 built. I also have a 2009 ES-345 and a 1973 Guild Starfire IV. First off the Guild GSR Starfire is more like a fancy ESs-335 as it does not have a Varitone or a maple neck as some ES-355 do. The top on the Guild is laminated spruce and almost half as thick at the top on my ES-345 and I would guess the back and sides are also thin as I can really feel the guitar vibrating at higher volume than either my old Starfire or my ES-345. Still it does not seem more prone to feedback than either of the other two guitars. The center block looks to be maple but may be a softer and lighter variety than the maple block in my ES-345 or the mahogany block in my 1973 Starfire IV. The lighter weight is something I really like about the GSR Starfire VI along with the ebony fingerboard and the Duncan Seth Lover it makes for a very different guitar than the other two semi-hollow bodies. The hardware is very nice with the locking bridge and tailpiece and great turners. My GSR Starfire is due for a fret dress but I have had no other work done on it and no problems. With .011 strings it plays easier than some of my guitar with .010. The build quality is perfect and although I place appearance third to tone and playability the guitar is a real knock out with inlays and binding everywhere. I have over a dozen guitars and my GSR Starfire is right at the top with my two L-4s and slightly above my other semi-hollow body guitars. For a new guitar it is just stellar. You could say I am just a bit biased.
    Thanks John
    MG

I just looked at this post again. Yep, it's still a beauty.
    MG

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed