The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 64

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Articulations attach to specific notes. So, yes. Should re paginate aligned when you edit etc.
    Did you look at my example? In my example, the articulations are all aligned to a horizontal guide-line. Normally, articulations are spaced at a specific distance above the note so they are not aligned. Finale has no way to snap the articulations to a specific vertical guide line.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Dorico now supports chord symbols as of the 1.1 release in what seems like a much more detailed and intuitive way than Finale.

Why it took more than a year before this basic scoring element was added..................???

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Normally, articulations are spaced at a specific distance above the note so they are not aligned.
    Of yeah. They are set that way by default.

I'd have to check to see if it's something you can tweak. The controls on these things are pretty nuanced. So there may be a way to change it. Also, it's open source. So even if it's not in the original, someone may have written a codec/patch etc, or you can request it as a feature etc, and someone may add the feature. Should be straightforward. Basically aligning like a chord symbol or a lyric etc.

User Info Menu

That looks pretty ugly. Just raw text...

Quote Originally Posted by bako
    Dorico now supports chord symbols as of the 1.1 release in what seems like a much more detailed and intuitive way than Finale.

Why it took more than a year before this basic scoring element was added..................???

I agree, but the screen shot doesn't tell the story. It is a very flexible chord app that will allow the user to select
    the font, chord spelling, spacing to preference. Unlike Finale, the methodology to get this done isn't one of the
    great paradoxes of the universe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mhch
    As far as I experienced there was no 3rd party sound libs for GP and Musescore. That's why I dropped their use

Tab entry is very simple in Sibelius, can't be simpler .. didn't try Dorico, mostly because I rarely use tabs .
    By "sound libraries", if you mean instruments you can assign to the score for playback, MuseScore uses individual soundfonts and soundfont banks which are usually made from high quality samples. MS comes with one high quality soundfont bank which see under "synthesizer" in one of the dropdown menus. You can download additional soundfonts from the web and load them into your score.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

and can you align articulations along a vertical plane in musescore and/or guitar pro like I do in this example?

Sheets of Sound for Guitar
    Yes. You can add text above the staff which automatically aligns horizontally and vertically. You can move that text elsewhere as needed with your mouse.

User Info Menu

+1 for Musescore.
    Soundfonts work well and can be assigned to different instruments in a score.

User Info Menu

no tab is a deal breaker for me. I'm using finale 2014.5 and it works fine for the most part but the bugs are driving me crazy. Finale 25 doesn't fix any of the issues either. 90% of finale is overkill for what I do. I'm going to take another look at musescore...
    I don't use tab often but MuseScore does what I need. I wouldn't say tab is an emphasis in MS.

User Info Menu

Had a quick look at soundfonts on the Internet. Certainly not willing to criticize anything, I don't think they are at the level of those sound libraries that can be used with Sibelius or Dorico, both in variety and in terms of the amount of sampled data (some drum libs are measured in hundreds of GB, a VSL piano is 70GB). I know size doesn't imply quality and some excellent libs which are not sample based are relatively small.

Funnily available guitar sounds are not really at the quality level of other usual instruments, piano, horns, drums, bass !! That says a lot on the instrument.

User Info Menu

Had a quick look at soundfonts on the Internet. Certainly not willing to criticize anything, I don't think they are at the level of those sound libraries that can be used with Sibelius or Dorico, both in variety and in terms of the amount of sampled data (some drum libs are measured in hundreds of GB, a VSL piano is 70GB). I know size doesn't imply quality and some excellent libs which are not sample based are relatively small.

Funnily available guitar sounds are not really at the quality level of other usual instruments, piano, horns, drums, bass !! That says a lot on the instrument.
    Your remarks are objective, not critical. Each of us gets in the game at some point between no sounds and paying a piano player to be in the room with us while we practice. It's not perfect but it gets the job done at the right price. Others' focus may differ.

Quote Originally Posted by EGad
    Yes. You can add text above the staff which automatically aligns horizontally and vertically. You can move that text elsewhere as needed with your mouse.

Hey EGad. I've seen this. The text options are very nuanced and versatile. The options for articulation however, are set up completely different. There are options for shaping to grid on individual elements, but I can't find anything similar for global articulation settings - like for accents etc.

User Info Menu

are there any examples? Just selecting the font, chord spelling and spacing doesn't make it comparable to finale. i love the finale chord library functionality although I agree it's tedious to setup but once you do, it's fantastic. you can put your accidentals in parens and stacked vertically on top of each other so that they don't look like this:

C7b9#9#11#5

Quote Originally Posted by bako
    I agree, but the screen shot doesn't tell the story. It is a very flexible chord app that will allow the user to select
    the font, chord spelling, spacing to preference. Unlike Finale, the methodology to get this done isn't one of the
    great paradoxes of the universe.

User Info Menu

Text is different from articulations. Many articulations are not standard text characters. Or is there a way to enter these into the "text" ? And are you talking musescore, guitar pro or dorico?

Or is there a way to enter these into the "text"?
    That is probably the angle to pursue, as the text features work perfectly for this...

Anyway, I asked the question on their forum:

Snap all articulations to horizontal line. | MuseScore

User Info Menu

Being a Dorico registered user, I just received an email notifying me release 1.1.1 which adds a chord notation editor, which allows for specifying all possible attributes of a chord notation

Dorico 1.1.10 update released, with graphical chord symbol editor and more | MAKING NOTES

For sure this far superior over Sibelius, which only offers a simple panel of chord naming options. No doubt the Dorico team knows its job

User Info Menu

looks very similar to the finale chord editor. How does the musescore chord editor compare?

Being a Dorico registered user, I just received an email notifying me release 1.1.1 which adds a chord notation editor, which allows for specifying all possible attributes of a chord notation

Dorico 1.1.10 update released, with graphical chord symbol editor and more | MAKING NOTES

For sure this far superior over Sibelius, which only offers a simple panel of chord naming options. No doubt the Dorico team knows its job

User Info Menu

Text is different from articulations. Many articulations are not standard text characters. Or is there a way to enter these into the "text" ? And are you talking musescore, guitar pro or dorico?
    Your question related to MuseScore. My suggestion would be to create a free login at MuseScore which will allow you access to the "MuseScore Community", an area where users upload scores which you can download for yourself, ranging from simple to sophisticated. Again, I would keep in mind that you are comparing MS to other similar programs costing hundreds of dollars, an investment which you may choose to make is you are a publisher, orchestrator etc. which I am not. In my case, I don't need a Cadillac to get to the Piggly Wiggly. Also, there is a MS manual freely available on the web.

Your question related to MuseScore. My suggestion would be to create a free login at MuseScore which will allow you access to the "MuseScore Community", an area where users upload scores which you can download for yourself, ranging from simple to sophisticated. Again, I would keep in mind that you are comparing MS to other similar programs costing hundreds of dollars, an investment which you may choose to make is you are a publisher, orchestrator etc. which I am not. In my case, I don't need a Cadillac to get to the Piggly Wiggly. Also, there is a MS manual freely available on the web.

Absolutely. I put out two scores of multiple systems this morning, with tab and "linked tab/standard" staves. Once you're up and running, it's really solid software, especially compared to the low-end offerings of standard paid-for apps.

User Info Menu

in my case, finale works very well except for several annoying bugs, one of which is that it locks my audio card so I have to reset the audio card EVERY time I run finale. The 2nd bug is that the copy filter doesn't work properly copying to a tab staff so for example, if I set up articulations in a treble clef staff and then copy just the articulations to the tab staff, it overwrites everything in the tab staff, not just the articulations. Additionally frustrating is that makemusic refuses to acknowledge the issues and claims that they don't happen even though I've documented them with screen capture software.

Also, for 3 years, finale has added virtually no significant features. The latest version 25's biggest feature is that it's 64 bit which does nothing for me since I'm not doing 4gb symphonic pieces. I really worry that Finale and Sibelius won't be around in 3-4 years.

I'm definitely going to give musescore a try. Thanks to all who responded and Egad, great suggestions.

User Info Menu

in my case, finale works very well except for several annoying bugs, one of which is that it locks my audio card so I have to reset the audio card EVERY time I run finale. The 2nd bug is that the copy filter doesn't work properly copying to a tab staff so for example, if I set up articulations in a treble clef staff and then copy just the articulations to the tab staff, it overwrites everything in the tab staff, not just the articulations. Additionally frustrating is that makemusic refuses to acknowledge the issues and claims that they don't happen even though I've documented them with screen capture software.

Also, for 3 years, finale has added virtually no significant features. The latest version 25's biggest feature is that it's 64 bit which does nothing for me since I'm not doing 4gb symphonic pieces. I really worry that Finale and Sibelius won't be around in 3-4 years.

I'm definitely going to give musescore a try. Thanks to all who responded and Egad, great suggestions.
    Is not product support a major consideration in any choice?

User Info Menu

Is not product support a major consideration in any choice?

it is and with makemusic attempting to get $150 a year from you for upgrades, what is it you are paying for?

User Info Menu

Watching this thread for the past week, I wanted to jump in to praise MuseScore (new build pending; musescore 3) and also to condemn Evilcorp (Avid) and Sibelius 7.

I'll skip all that.

Looks like I may be jumping back into orchestra teaching, and that would argue strongly for buying Dorico. Cross-grade price for educators is a deal...

User Info Menu

Hi, I have just installed Musescore and impressed so far.

Can anyone recommend a decent 'archtop' like soundfont,
    Many thanks, Simon

User Info Menu

That looks pretty ugly. Just raw text...
    Jack, Dorico is a very very new product build from scratch by some of the original Sibelius dev team. There's tons of features missing and annoying bugs and everything you'd expect from an very early stage product. They try to be pretty clear about this and responsive, but it's just not at the stage where it will be an apples to apples comparison with Sibelius/Finale, which obviously have 20ish years of product development behind them.