The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Anyone have any info on Eddie McFadden.

He played guitar with Jimmy Smith.
    Last edited by Drumbler; 02-17-2010 at 03:46 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I know this is two years on, but I came across this thread after poking around Google asking the same the same question. Doesn't seem to be much out there about him. Here are the only links I could find:

Who was/is Eddie Mcfadden? BuelahMan's Revolt

Tony Flood's House of Hard Bop: Happy Birthday, Eddie McFadden, Wherever You May Be

User Info Menu

Just came across this. Seems like He's no longer with us..

Eddie Lee Mcfadden; Noted Jazz Guitarist - Philly.com

User Info Menu

Thanks Mike!

User Info Menu

I've had Eddie's old Gibson L-5 for 20 yrs, been my main gigging guitar.
    it's the one he's playing in the Tony Flood link Joe Walsh posted...

User Info Menu

Is this a story you can share, wintermoon?

User Info Menu

yes, 20 yrs ago I went to a local music store looking for an L-5 and the store owner said he had one that had been consigned there too long and wanted it out of the store. I purchased it, had it refretted and found it had phenomenal tone and playability, so it became my #1 guitar.

after gigging around town w/it, many of the old musicians would see it and said that Eddie had one just like it that Gibson made special for him but he passed away and his mother had it and she'd never sell it.

I used it on thousands of gigs but always wondered where Eddie's L-5 might be.
    2 years ago I finally met the guy that consigned it to the music store and he said it was Eddie's guitar, he bought it from his mother after he died.

so I had Eddie's guitar all along but didn't know it.
    Last edited by wintermoon; 03-15-2012 at 01:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Great story!

User Info Menu

Just got a Jimmy Smith DVD with Eddie McFadden and was trying to find out more about him. Really dig his lines.

FYI: in this video from 1969 he's playing a Guild 175-type guitar with a single P-90 sounds good.

Hey, I just caught up to this thread. Thanks for responding.

User Info Menu

connect a link- (scroll down a bit)

The Guild Feel

User Info Menu

He was also known for playing a 1950's Guild CE-100, which is the guitar depicted in the painting in the first links above. I had a first year model for a while that was a phenomenal guitar. I sold it to help fund a Guild American Patriarch guitar, and while I will never sell this AP guitar not a day goes by that I don't wish I had that '56 CE-100 back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I've had Eddie's old Gibson L-5 for 20 yrs, been my main gigging guitar.
    it's the one he's playing in the Tony Flood link Joe Walsh posted...
    You still have it, right?

User Info Menu

sure, still my main gigging guitar

User Info Menu

sure, still my main gigging guitar
    Phew! Sorry, as a non-native English speaker I always get confused by the "I've had...." construction

User Info Menu

I only know Eddie from his tasty playing on those Jimmy Smith records. This thread has inspired me to dig a little deeper (and to listen to those records, too). Thanks for posting, sorry we got to it 6 years later!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I only know Eddie from his tasty playing on those Jimmy Smith records. This thread has inspired me to dig a little deeper (and to listen to those records, too). Thanks for posting, sorry we got to it 6 years later!

if you like Eddie check out this concert

User Info Menu

Nice! Playing a Guild CE-100 with the f-holes taped over

User Info Menu

yeah, when I got the L-5 it had the same tape

User Info Menu

what do u mean taped over???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nokton
    A piece of tape covering the f-holes to prevent feedback.

User Info Menu

let's push this for one of the most underrated guitarists ever. eddie and grant were the closest on guitar to bird's playing imo. and of course there is the real jimmy smith. larry young is often called the coltrane of the organ, but to me it's jimmy. he actually gave some tips to trane who was a huge fan. check out jimmys sheets of sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    let's push this for one of the most underrated guitarists ever. eddie and grant were the closest on guitar to bird's playing imo. and of course there is the real jimmy smith. larry young is often called the coltrane of the organ, but to me it's jimmy. he actually gave some tips to trane who was a huge fan. check out jimmys sheets of sound.

Yeah, Eddie and Jimmy made a great team. Every note swing swang swung. Jimmy gave me some great ideas just listening to that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nokton
    the L-5 had clear tape over the f holes when I got it, to cut down on feedback

User Info Menu

the L-5 had clear tape over the f holes when I got it, to cut down on feedback
    Did you think that affected the sound of the L-5 adversely? You guys are 7-0 now- are they taking steroids or something?